Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
Grand Cherokee
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Was wondering if anyone has changed to all terrain tires on there HA or Summit. I'd like to replace the stock Pirelli tires with either KO2 or Wrangler Adventure. My question is: These tires have a higher stance than the stock road tires that come on the HA and Summit, will they clear the wheel well (without rubbing) with the stock 20 inch rims? Or do you have to go down to 18" rims to run all terrain tires? The tire size is 265/50/R20

·
Super Moderator
8,219 Posts
Paulie, the wheel size is immaterial to the tire diameter. Tire diameter is what counts and a 265/50-20 is OEM tire size. There might be some minor variation due to tread design, but substituting an AT tire of the same size is still the same size.

·
Premium Member
Grand Cherokee
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would say at least 2 MPG. They each weigh 54 pounds. I am not sure what the stock tires weighed
That would explain why most of the reviewers said there gas mileage decreased. Looked up online said an average SUV tire is 35lbs

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have the 275/55R20 K02s and they do not rub at all. Boy they are heavy though!
I have a question on the stock 20" rim. Is the rim 20x8.5? Reason that I ask is because the Black Rhino Mozambique is 20 x 8.5, If that is the case, I assume the 265/50/20 should easily fit the aftermarket wheel. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
8,219 Posts
The OEM wheels are 20x8, but 20x8.5 is most likely within the range of most 265/50-20 tires. Check the specifications of the tires you intend to use.

·
Registered
150 Posts
@Paullee01 - One question I have is are you planning to do some off roading in your summit? If the answer is yes, then I would go with the smallest rims you could put on your summit. If you have a summit with the heavy duty brakes in the front, the smallest rim you can go with is 18 inches without the rims hitting the brake caliper. There may be an after market brand of 17" wheels that will fit over the heavy duty brakes BUT I haven't ran across one yet...

The reason I am suggesting going with a 18" rim over a 20" rim is because when you start going on off road trails OR on sandy beaches it's typically a good idea to air down your tires... The sidewall is taller on an 18" rim verses a 20" rim so are able to air down a little more with the 18" rim.

Here is a link to a tire size calculator:
Link: https://tiresize.com/comparison/

You can typically find a set of used WK2 18" rims (with the TPS) on Ebay or Craig's list...

I am currently running a set of Toyo A\T Open Country 265\60R18. They have served me well on a couple of Overland trips. (see my past trip posts) No rubbing as well...However I am thinking about trying another type of tire out for my next Overland trip with New Mexico Backroads (NEW MEXICO BACKROADS - Overland Tours - 4WD Training - Photography - Scouting Services)...

Also to find out if our WK2 has the heavy duty tow package (aka Trailer Tow Group IV - I think that is how it is listed), you can go to this link and type in your VIN to get the build sheet for your WK2 Summit
https://fcacommunity.force.com/RAM/s/equipment-listing

Anyway I hope this helps!

·
Premium Member
Grand Cherokee
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Student4Life:

Thanks for all the great info. Being this is a High Altitude with a low front fascia clearance and loaded with front sensors (unfortunately) I won't be doing major off roading. Was looking for a TH but got such a great deal I wound up with a loaded HK. It does have the Class IV Receiver with Rhino shackle receiver (I've seen some 18” wheels with used tires usually selling around $1200.00) Since 2 month ownership I've been on a few dirt trails and beaches. (hard sand) I avoid mud! So far no issues. Going to install some front hooks and I have a pair of Tred 800s just in case I do get stuck. Will be replacing tires with some decent all terrain and maybe going to smaller size as you suggested. But it makes me wonder the 265/50 R20 is wider than the 18's I wonder if that would be better for dirt and sand?

I'm just looking to make a street luxury HK somewhat off road worthy with some minor upgrades. What good is have a 4wd vehicle if you can't take it off road once in a while and miss out on all the fun!

I've heard great things about the KO's except there not that good in snow. Thanks again for your insight!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Yep I was in the same situation when I 1st purchased mine... Yea when Jeep changed the front fascia on their luxury trim models you can no longer do what I did with the OEM front fascia... Well have fun exploring with your WK2

·
Super Moderator
8,219 Posts
Student'...don't forget that if you upsize your regular tires, you also need to upsize your spare to match with a 4x4.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Good point Jim! I think that is overlooked by most! The other reason I am upgrading my tires is to get a better load rating... When you start adding various accessories (i.e. Rack, roof top tent, tire carrier, etc) even though you may be within your vehicle weight capacity don't forget the load rating of your tires which is for a certain PSI. When you start to air down for various terrain, that air down can affect your weight capacity of your tires since it is now at a lower PSI... Anyway something to think about when you start to get into the weeds of this Overland hobby!

·
Super Moderator
8,219 Posts
You may or may not get more load rating...that's dependent on the actual tires you choose. Do remember that aside from the need to also replace your spare(s), there's no fast/easy/cheap method for adjusting odo and speedo for a different tire size with the JGC. Jeep only has OEM ~30.6" in the computer.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts