thanks for the heads up!

Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage

·
Lifer: Old Geezer
Overland
4,628 Posts
thanks for the heads up!

Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage
Anyone recall if the electrohydraulic is on the V6, V8, Diesel, or all three?

Alternator diodes would hopefully fail to an open circuit, as failing to a short can let loose a lot of magic smoke from a lot of very expensive components.

·
Premium Member
1,494 Posts
Anyone recall if the electrohydraulic is on the V6, V8, Diesel, or all three?

Alternator diodes would hopefully fail to an open circuit, as failing to a short can let loose a lot of magic smoke from a lot of very expensive components.
definitely yes on the V6, definitely no on the V8.
I *think* the diesel does have EHPS - but that's only based on the parts catalog.. I've never been under the hood of one.

·
Premium Member
3,413 Posts
Just got back from a long trip, and took a look under the hood. Found what seems like a carbon build-up on alternator and surrounding engine. I wiped with a cloth to see what it was. You can see it in this pic after I wiped it down, but it was much thicker when I found it. I have a service appointment to have it looked at, but didn't mention the recall. In my experience it's best to just state your problem and let them check it out. Can't get it in till 7-31. That's my scheduling problem. Will follow up when I get it in.

Attachments

·
Registered
106 Posts
Recall notice:

IMPORTANT SAFETY RECALL P60 / NHTSA 14V-634

This notice is sent to you in accordance with the requirements of the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act.
Dear: (Name)
FCA has decided that a defect, which relates to motor vehicle safety, exists in certain 2011 through 2014 model year Dodge Durango, Chrysler 300, Dodge Challenger, Dodge Charger and 2012 through 2014 model year Jeep® Grand Cherokee vehicles equipped with a 3.6L engine and a 160 amp alternator.
The problem is...
The alternator diodes on your vehicle may experience a rapid failure. Variability in the failure mode ranges from no output, reduced output, and/or a fully shorted to ground condition. Depending on the alternator failure mode and timing, vehicle electrical system voltage may drop to critical levels, disabling systems such as Antilock Brake System (ABS), Electronic Stability Control (ESC), Electronic Control Module (ECM), and/or the Central Body Controller (CBC). The driver will have limited or no detection of the alternator failing, which can result in vehicle shutdown while driving and/or an underhood electrical fire.
What your dealer will do...
FCA will repair your vehicle free of charge. To do this, your dealer will replace the alternator assembly. The work will take about one hour to complete. However, additional time may be necessary depending on service schedules.
What you must do to ensure your safety...
Simply contact your Chrysler, Jeep, Dodge or RAM dealer right away to schedule a service appointment. Ask the dealer to hold the part for your vehicle or to order it before your appointment. Please bring this letter with you to your dealer.
If you need help...
If you have questions or concerns which your dealer is unable to resolve, please contact the FCA Group Recall Assistance Center at either recalls.mopar.com or 1-800-853-1403

·
Registered
941 Posts
Recall notice:

IMPORTANT SAFETY RECALL P60 / NHTSA 14V-634

This notice is sent to you in accordance with the requirements of the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act.
Dear: (Name)
FCA has decided that a defect, which relates to motor vehicle safety, exists in certain 2011 through 2014 model year Dodge Durango, Chrysler 300, Dodge Challenger, Dodge Charger and 2012 through 2014 model year Jeep® Grand Cherokee vehicles equipped with a 3.6L engine and a 160 amp alternator.
The problem is...
The alternator diodes on your vehicle may experience a rapid failure. Variability in the failure mode ranges from no output, reduced output, and/or a fully shorted to ground condition. Depending on the alternator failure mode and timing, vehicle electrical system voltage may drop to critical levels, disabling systems such as Antilock Brake System (ABS), Electronic Stability Control (ESC), Electronic Control Module (ECM), and/or the Central Body Controller (CBC). The driver will have limited or no detection of the alternator failing, which can result in vehicle shutdown while driving and/or an underhood electrical fire.
What your dealer will do...
FCA will repair your vehicle free of charge. To do this, your dealer will replace the alternator assembly. The work will take about one hour to complete. However, additional time may be necessary depending on service schedules.
What you must do to ensure your safety...
Simply contact your Chrysler, Jeep, Dodge or RAM dealer right away to schedule a service appointment. Ask the dealer to hold the part for your vehicle or to order it before your appointment. Please bring this letter with you to your dealer.
If you need help...
If you have questions or concerns which your dealer is unable to resolve, please contact the FCA Group Recall Assistance Center at either recalls.mopar.com or 1-800-853-1403
Isn't that the one from 2015?

This should be the upcoming one as posted by the OP:

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum

·
Premium Member
1,494 Posts
Doubt that's from the alternator.

was it oily or powdery?

·
Registered
JK 2 Dr Sport
208 Posts
Doubt that's from the alternator.

was it oily or powdery?
I agree, It looks like rubber from the serpentine belt. I see areas where the rubber has worn off the belt in his picture.

·
Premium Member
3,413 Posts
I agree, It looks like rubber from the serpentine belt. I see areas where the rubber has worn off the belt in his picture.
That's possible, but why would the belt be wearing only in front of the alternator with less than 18,000 miles on the vehicle?

·
Registered
86 Posts
definitely yes on the V6, definitely no on the V8.
I *think* the diesel does have EHPS - but that's only based on the parts catalog.. I've never been under the hood of one.
I have a diesel and from what I read in this letter from FCA to the NHTSA is that only 3.6L and 5.7L gassers which have electro-hydraulic steering are affected by this recall. I am not sure why the diesels wouldn't fall into this recall too since they have a 220 amp alternator and electro-hydraulic steering (I checked my build sheet to be sure). Seems strange, no? Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
1,494 Posts
I have a diesel and from what I read in this letter from FCA to the NHTSA is that only 3.6L and 5.7L gassers which have electro-hydraulic steering are affected by this recall. I am not sure why the diesels wouldn't fall into this recall too since they have a 220 amp alternator and electro-hydraulic steering (I checked my build sheet to be sure). Seems strange, no? Thoughts?
No 5.7Ls iWK2 n that timeframe have electrohydraulic steering.

The wording of what I've seen says the current cycling from the EHPS pump is causing thermal failures of the diodes, and I can't see how the engine being diesel would affect that..

·
Registered
86 Posts
No 5.7Ls iWK2 n that timeframe have electrohydraulic steering.

The wording of what I've seen says the current cycling from the EHPS pump is causing thermal failures of the diodes, and I can't see how the engine being diesel would affect that..
Not sure what you are talking about.

1) The letter I linked to from FCA clearly says "The affected vehicles have electro-hydraulic power steering (EHPS) and are equipped with a 5.7L or a 3.6L engine and a 160, 180 or 220 amp alternator. In the affected vehicles, the alternator may suddenly fail." So clearly at least some of the 5.7L did come with EHPS.

2) My 3.0L diesel also comes with EHPS as indicated on the window sticker and my build sheet. So if the EHPS is causing the issue, why wouldn't the diesels also be subject to the recall? I didn't say the engine is causing it, just that the diesel is equipped with both EHPS and a 220 amp alternator. It seems fishy that we diesel owners wouldn't also be included if we have the same faulty parts.

1 - 20 of 112 Posts