Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
101 - 112 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Took my early MY 2014 (delivered May '13) in for the alternator recall a couple of weeks ago. I had not had a problem with it but they did, in fact, replace the alternator. Now I see on the Jeep Owners' site I have the recall for the cruise control...but no recall card yet in the mail. The Owners' site says the fix is available. At 90 miles round trip to the dealer much of my mileage on that car is to get recalls done.

·
Premium Member
1,491 Posts
Took my early MY 2014 (delivered May '13) in for the alternator recall a couple of weeks ago. I had not had a problem with it but they did, in fact, replace the alternator. Now I see on the Jeep Owners' site I have the recall for the cruise control...but no recall card yet in the mail. The Owners' site says the fix is available. At 90 miles round trip to the dealer much of my mileage on that car is to get recalls done.

My '14 is a June '13 build, and the dealer did the cruise recall Monday when I had it in for an oil change.. even though I did not have the card (which has not come in the mail)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Yea, I could imagine if the alternator failed with the Diodes shorting, it could damage the battery and whole lot of other stuff.

If you're getting the recall done before the alternator failed and there was no damage, I don't see how you can expect to receive a new battery.

If you're battery failed because of the alternator also failed, then you would get a new battery, I expect if the alternator failed in a way to kill your battery, you'd also have a lot of other damage as well, they would have to repair.

If your battery fails out of the bumper to bumper warranty, and the alternator caused no damage to the vehicle, whether it failed or was replaced before it failed, again, I don't see how you expect a new battery, unless it failed at the same time as the alternator and that was the only damage from the alternator failing....?

A while back, some were suggesting that added wear and tear from a bad alternator could justify getting the battery replaced, even if the alternator didn't fail. Just checking if anybody was able to make that argument work.

Anybody know if the battery is covered under maxcare? I don't need one now, just wondering.

I just got my alternator done, and it looks like there may be some oil in the new one. There was nothing like this in the old one when I brought it in. What do you folks think? (zoom in to look inside)

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
10,222 Posts
Anybody know if the battery is covered under maxcare? I don't need one now, just wondering.
No, it's not likely covered because it's a "consumable" just like tires, oil, wiper blades, brake pads and rotors, etc.

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
4,612 Posts
A while back, some were suggesting that added wear and tear from a bad alternator could justify getting the battery replaced, even if the alternator didn't fail. Just checking if anybody was able to make that argument work.

I "think" the recall on the alternator is for a bad lot or several bad lots of alternators that were built with defective Diodes. The problem with these diodes they could short out when they fail, diodes should cause an open circuit when they fail.

So, unless there is more to the issue that I missed, there would be no extra wear or tear on the battery. The alternator works like it should, if the diodes fail, in most cases the alternator stops working, but in the case of the recalled alternators, if the diodes fail they short out and create massive disaster for the electric system, possible burning out of all sorts of electronics, huge draw on the battery, etc.....

If you're alternator didn't fail before it was replaced under the recall, there would not have been any extra wear and tear on the battery.

The recall, I "think" is for a bad lot of alternators, that "IF" they fail will cause all sorts of damage. While good alternators, if they fail, do not do any additional damage. So they are replacing the bad alternators under a recall, and replacing them with good alternators, that when they eventually fail, don't do thousands of dollars worth of damage to the vehicle, if not more if they start a fire.

I don't see how a new battery is deserved, unless the alternator already failed and the only damage its done was to damage to the battery, not very likely.
I just got my alternator done, and it looks like there may be some oil in the new one. There was nothing like this in the old one when I brought it in. What do you folks think? (zoom in to look inside)
I zoomed in, I don't see anything remotely close to what you're talking about? Where is this "oil"? Why hasn't it slung all over the engine compartment?

I see a anodized/cadmium plated fan inside the alternator, this is normal, perhaps the color is different than most alternators? There is an under-running clutch on the pulley for the alternator, that is very common today, and they often change from brand to brand, as well as over the years within a particular brand/model. The insulation on the alternator winndings has to be very thin, to get as much field density/flux as possible, they are often use a coating of special lacquer to insulate the wire, and it can appear oily/greasy. The bearing are lubricated and it some of that can leak out after first use, its normal. Those are the only things I can think that you might mistake as oil. I zoomed in, I can't see anything remotely close to what you're talking about.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I zoomed in, I don't see anything remotely close to what you're talking about? Where is this "oil"? Why hasn't it slung all over the engine compartment?

I see a anodized/cadmium plated fan inside the alternator, this is normal, perhaps the color is different than most alternators? There is an under-running clutch on the pulley for the alternator, that is very common today, and they often change from brand to brand, as well as over the years within a particular brand/model. The insulation on the alternator winndings has to be very thin, to get as much field density/flux as possible, they are often use a coating of special lacquer to insulate the wire, and it can appear oily/greasy. The bearing are lubricated and it some of that can leak out after first use, its normal. Those are the only things I can think that you might mistake as oil. I zoomed in, I can't see anything remotely close to what you're talking about.
I'm not talking about motor oil necessarily. Not sure what it is. Could be bearing lubricant or lacquer. Either way, I don't think it belongs on the fan blades. You think this is normal?

It is not a uniform coating or a different color part. Take a look at the fan, there's a silver fan with something yellow/gold on it.

Does anybody else have this on their replacement alternator? (New pic attached.)

Attachments

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
4,612 Posts
I see what you're talking about now. At the same time, I wouldn't be concerned.

Bearings often come overpacked with grease, that's good, too much is better than not enough and if you've put too much grease in the bearing, the excess will simply force its way out. So its possible that might be what you're seeing.

Its possible the fan part of the alternator came coated in casmoline, basically a tacky thick oil just for coating parts to prevent them from rusting during shipping and storage. As you operate the alternator, the air flow through the fan is gradually stripping it off.

Again, for others in the thread, I read the purpose of the recall (meaning I don't know for sure) is there were several lots of bad alternators that if they fail would likely do all sorts of additional damage to the vehicle, they work fine before they fail. And since all alternators will eventually fail, they want to get them out before they cause the extra damage and replace them with good alternators that work the same, and fail the way they should, just stop working and not do additional damage to the vehicle.

So, if you're alternator didn't fail, I can't imagine how there was extra wear and tear on your vehicle, but you want to get that bad alternator out before it does fail and get a good one in there that if it fails it doesn't do all sorts of extra damage.

Basically the bad alternators can short out when they fail, and with how much power that goes through an alternator, there's a good chance for a fire. And since an alternator is generating current and voltage, shorting out means it could produce all sorts of crazy voltages that burn out other electric components.
Alternators are designed to open the circuit when they fail, and if their parts are all manufactured properly with the right materials, they will do that, and thus just stop generating electricity when they fail, which won't cause any damage to vehicle.
So these bad lots the supplier must have got a shipment of bad diodes used to rectify the AC current to DC, either the diodes used the wrong materials or were manufactured incorrectly but instead of opening the circuit when they burn out, they actually short out the circuit.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys,
So my alternator just blew up, leaving me stranded on the side of the road...as most people I've been reading. Took it to a mechanic cause I was unaware of the recall, and he said it was the alternator and actually informed me of the recall. However, the bad alternator has cause the PCM to go bad as well. My question is if someone has had the same problem (PCM getting fried cause of the alternator) and if the recall will cover the cost of the PCM as well...since a faulty part cause the PCM to go bad. Please let me know. Thanks!!

PS. I found the message below from another member...similar problem and the dealership wasn't including the cost of the PCM :(

"I have a 2013 Jeep GC, Last Saturday I stopped at the store. Starting my Jeep it started to make a humming noise. There was smoke coming from the engine. I tried to restart, it wouldn’t. After a while it restarted with no issue. Next day driving to work, the batt light came on AC turned off, radio shut down, loss power steering and engine power. It broke down. Had it towed to a dealership. They informed me there was a recall on the alternator, which I was not informed. They told me the alternator was being switched out and there may be a shot that the PCM board might have been damaged due to the faulty alternator. The dealer rep. informed me that they have had numerous Jeep customers with the same problem. They told me Jeep would not replace the PCM board at their cost. It is going to be $700.00 out of my own pocket due to their faulty component. The dealer told me they have been fighting with Jeep about this and Jeep was not budging. I talked to Jeep on 4-24-18 and they told me that my Jeep had 93k miles on it and the PCM board was my problem. There are numerous of people out hear who are having the same problem.
It is there defected component that caused other issues. Thank you"

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just wanted to add to this thread in case anybody else finds themselves in a similar situation. I have a 2011 WK2 Hemi 5.7 with 68,xxx miles. Last week my battery light came on as I was driving. I pulled over with the engine still running to inspect underneath the hood. Nothing seemed to be out of place so I closed the hood and continued my journey. Mere minutes later my entire dash lit up like the surrounding neighborhood being so close to Christmas time and my Jeep stalled out. Luckily I was able to coast it safely without the power steering to a reasonable parking spot. Upon parking, I reopened the hood to find that my alternator had set fire. The fire died swiftly but the damage was done. I had it towed to my local and dealer and was told today that the vehicle will need a new alternator, battery and pcm. After doing a little digging online I found my way to this thread. So far I have called fca to cry foul over having the same issues as all the folks here but due to my Jeep not being involved in the recall, I will have to pay out of pocket. I find it absolutely ridiculous that my model was not included in the recall whenever I have blatantly experienced all of the same issues. The fca truly needs to update this recall. There have obviously been other vehicles affected.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Gents,

Add me to the list of failures.

When the vehicle is running, the battery symbol is displayed on the instrument panel, and the text prompt needs maintenance. The engine fault symbol appears and various symbols flash. After that, the electronic products stopped working until there was no power steering. It's very dangerous on the road! After barely driving home, it can't be started again after flameout.

After charging all night, the maintenance symbol disappears. In the morning, it's normal to light a fire and drive 16 km. In the evening, when driving nearly 10 kilometers, the battery maintenance symbol appears again. After that, all kinds of electrical appliances were cut off in 5 minutes until they suddenly stopped at an intersection. It was very dangerous! Cannot start again. After emergency replacement of a new battery, start the battery normally and drive it home.

My detection and judgment: according to the above experience, this car should be charged because the generator can't work normally.

The voltage does not change before and after the vehicle starts normally. When the positive pole of the battery is turned off, all the vehicles are cut off and flameout.

Maybe first, the generator is damaged; Second, the generator regulator is damaged; The third is the control program of automobile computer power generation.

I think this should belong to the campaign number: T36 "2012-2014 (WK) Jeep Grand Cherokee
" recall issue. The VIN of this vehicle was not in the range of the VIN list released at that time. But the problems are consistent with many generator problems.

Therefore, a recall is strongly recommended.

2014 WK2 diesel Overland
Registration Number
Km:105500
Located in PERTH, WA, AU

Waiting for a response from Jeep Australia.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Add me to this list as well, 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland, 116k miles. I started my jeep, heard a loud humming noise so I shut it off. Then saw smoke rolling out under the hood. I opened the hood to see flames an smoke coming from the alternator!!! I had it towed to a shop that turned out to be too busy to work on it. I ended up installing a new alternator myself but still doesn't charge. Turns out after a lot of searching online I believe the PCM is also fried. Of course, they are on backorder everywhere, so I spent 1/2 a day to finally locate one at a dealer across the country willing to sell me one they had. I paid to have it overnighted and have to have my Jeep towed to the dealer to install and program the PCM, which I am hoping fixes the charging issue. What a joke, Thanks Chryler for yet another expensive break down on this POS. It seems every year I spend thousands of $ on repairs on this thing, each time I'm into it so deep I can't even bother to put enough $ aside to trade this thing in on something better. Never again, I've owned nothing but Jeep for 30+ years, this one broke me

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Please feel free to contact us via private message if you need any assistance regarding your recall.

Rob
Jeep Cares

101 - 112 of 112 Posts