Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2016 WK2 Laredo
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few nights ago I was driving on a not-so-well-lit road and turned on my high beams, and my low beams turned off. I really thought that they had always stayed on previously. They turn off whether I am using the momentary "pull back on the stalk" or the constant-on push forward on the stalk... Is this normal operation and I have just never noticed?

·
Registered
2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude
131 Posts
That is a normal behavior. I turned that off using Appcar DiagFCA.

·
Registered
2016 WK2 Laredo
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I appreciate the reply. I have both Appcar DiagFCA and AlfaOBD, but I have only had them since earlier in the year and haven't modified anything with them. I sincerely cannot remember my low beams cutting out like that. So strange. Thank you for your time!

·
Registered
131 Posts
I have used Appcar DiagFCA to change that on my WK and WK2. You can also turn off fog light dropout on high beams.

·
Registered
2020 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
39 Posts
That is not normal behavior. Tested on 3 Jeeps last nite as we were leaving the bar when we saw this, my 2020, a 2018 and not sure what year the third was. In all 3, the low beams stay on and fogs go off. If you look at the beam patterns on a wall, the H9‘s high beam pattern sits exactly on top of the H11’s low beam cut off. It’s meant to supplement the low beam, not replace it,

·
Registered
131 Posts
That is not normal behavior. Tested on 3 Jeeps last nite as we were leaving the bar when we saw this, my 2020, a 2018 and not sure what year the third was. In all 3, the low beams stay on and fogs go off. If you look at the beam patterns on a wall, the H9‘s high beam pattern sits exactly on top of the H11’s low beam cut off. It’s meant to supplement the low beam, not replace it,
You are correct...but the low beams are dropped to ~7.5V when High Beams are on unless you have HID as they share the same bulb.

·
Registered
39 Posts
You are correct...but the low beams are dropped to ~7.5V when High Beams are on unless you have HID as they share the same bulb.
Ding, incorrect. That’s the DRL. The bixenon (d3s) has a flap that controls The low beam and high beam cut off.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Ding, incorrect. That’s the DRL. The bixenon (d3s) has a flap that controls The low beam and high beam cut off.
OK...IF you have Halogen headlights with a separate HIGH and LOW beam bulb, then when high beams are activated, the low beams voltage is reduced to 7.5V. The HID (bixenon) uses a solenoid to drop the shield for high and low beams from the same D3S bulb.

·
Registered
39 Posts
OK...IF you have Halogen headlights with a separate HIGH and LOW beam bulb, then when high beams are activated, the low beams voltage is reduced to 7.5V. The HID (bixenon) uses a solenoid to drop the shield for high and low beams from the same D3S bulb.
I have the halogen separate high and low beams. The voltage of the low beam is NOT reduced when the highs are on. I replaced my halogen low with a set of HIDs and if that was the case I’d have issues. They remain at the same voltage except when on as DRLs. I had to turn DRLs off thru the settings on the radio as the reduced voltage for the DRLs did not work with the HIDs as expected.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I have the halogen separate high and low beams. The voltage of the low beam is NOT reduced when the highs are on. I replaced my halogen low with a set of HIDs and if that was the case I’d have issues. They remain at the same voltage except when on as DRLs. I had to turn DRLs off thru the settings on the radio as the reduced voltage for the DRLs did not work with the HIDs as expected.
Maybe they only did this for the WK and not WK2, as I had to change all the voltages in AppCar DiagFCA on my WK. My only WK2 has had HID from the factory and would not need these adjustments.

·
Registered
2016 WK2 Laredo
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Thanks for all of the replies. So it would seem that I have an issue... Can anyone recommend a starting point for troubleshooting?

·
Registered
2016 WK2 Laredo
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all of the replies. So it would seem that I have an issue... Can anyone recommend a starting point for troubleshooting?
So I dropped it off at the dealership for service, and they called and told me that they believe this is normal operation for a 2016 Laredo. I can swear that it was never like this before, so I don't know what to do.

·
Registered
39 Posts
So I dropped it off at the dealership for service, and they called and told me that they believe this is normal operation for a 2016 Laredo. I can swear that it was never like this before, so I don't know what to do.
Don't know if this will help. It's listed as being 2012-2018 Grand Cherokee. Watch between 4:40-4:55 you will see an example of the high beam on and off and the low beam remains lit. Yes, this is a video of an HID upgrade, but the low beams would still go out if the voltage is reduced or cut off but it doesn't. So that would indicate you have something wrong. Googling around I found example of issues on Reddit and Carguru talking about a relay that fails and causes your headlights to cut off when you flip the high beam switch. Maybe this will help.

·
Registered
2016 WK2 Laredo
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Don't know if this will help. It's listed as being 2012-2018 Grand Cherokee. Watch between 4:40-4:55 you will see an example of the high beam on and off and the low beam remains lit. Yes, this is a video of an HID upgrade, but the low beams would still go out if the voltage is reduced or cut off but it doesn't. So that would indicate you have something wrong. Googling around I found example of issues on Reddit and Carguru talking about a relay that fails and causes your headlights to cut off when you flip the high beam switch. Maybe this will help.
Ok so I just went to get the Jeep from the dealership and it just so happened that another 2016 Laredo pulled-in for service as I was leaving. I confirmed that I do absolutely have an issue and that my low-beams should stay on by default. The technician said that there is no relay for the high beams at all, and I do not see one listed in the manual, just a fuse which is working. He said there are no error codes in the computer, so the next thing he'll do is open up a STAR case. My thought it that possibly the multifunction stalk itself it bad.

·
Registered
59 Posts
See you do learn something new every day. I just went out and checked my 2015 Limited. I also thought the low beams went off when you turned the high beams on. I have the car towards the Garage and can see the light pattern. The low's stay on when the high beam is activated. The fog lights drop off when you turn on the high beams.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts