Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
Procharged 2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk, 5.7 Hemi
863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed a set of American Racing Headers (ARH), Long Tubes and High-Flo Catalytic Converters to my 2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk, 5.7 Hemi.

I read once that the reason the GC has less horsepower than their counter parts was due to the exhaust manifolds used.

For example, the 2020 comparison of the 5.7 Hemi’s HP/TQ:

Grand Cherokee – 360/390
Dodge Charger – 370/395
Dodge Challenger – 375/410
Ram 1500 – 395/410

I can’t speak for the others (listed above), but our “Log Style” exhaust manifolds are very restrictive, I almost feel sorry for the poor engine just trying to expel all that exhaust. lol
With the ProCharger adding more air and fuel, it only made sense for me to help it pass through with less restrictions.

I attached a few pictures of the oem manifold along with the headers that replaced them.

It took me two days.
1, because I took my time and played with other things along the way.
2, armor. I have a few CHIEF PRODUCTS – Lower Front Guard w/ACC Protection, Sump Protection Plate w/Access Panel, Transmission Protection Plate, oem Engine plate, and the oem Transfer Case plate, (and the front drive shaft) all must come off to gain access to the exhaust manifolds.

There is definitely a process, but it is doable as long as you don’t get into a rush. There are a lot of things that need to be moved out of the way first. Air Filter box (if you have one), PCM, Fuse box and their mounts, and the above mentioned, just to name a few.

Is it worth it? With an estimated 30 to 40 HP gains… I would say, yes. There are a few more things that I would like to do first, but a tune and dyno run are in my future, so we shall see.

It is definitely more responsive, and a little bit more aggressive sounding. It has a very nice exhaust note from inside the Jeep, and it wakes up when you ask it to. I did not notice any interior drone while driving, in the city or on the highway.

These are the ARH 1-3/4 headers, very well made and fit nicely.

The Long Tube Headers are a compliment to the Corsa Cat-back system that I already had.

· Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice writeup. I'm considering adding headers and an exhaust to my 2014 5.7 Summit. Any interior and exterior videos you can provide of the exhaust sound?
Not yet, I am playing with intake manifold, give me a few days, I will try to post a video by Wednesday.

I am working on the More air in, more air out concept... lol
This is the Holley Sniper Intake Manifold,
Holley Sniper Fuel Rails,
Mopar Hellcat 92mm Throttle body,
Mopar Hellcat 600cc Fuel Injectors.

ProCharger mentioned in a different tread.

· Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

· Registered
468 Posts

· Registered
2017 Grand Cherokee Limited 4x4 Hemi & 2015 Grand Cherokee Limited 4x4 V6
267 Posts

· Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Awesome videos. How’s the fit on the drivers side? I had seen another video where it’s tight between the steering shaft and an ac line and the heat actually melted the rubber ac line. I’ve been researching the kooks long tubes but they’re pretty proud of those.
I went with the 3/4" setup for just that reason (fitment), that and I am going crazy for horsepower. lol

I was initially looking at Kooks, but the ARH reviews won me over (and the price made me feel a little better about my choice). My biggest issue was trying to find ANYBODY to ship to California.

No regrets, I am glad that I went with the setup that I did. The install with the 3/4" set was very straight forward, I didn't have to lift the engine to get them installed.

One thing to note. The right side mid pipe comes with the Ball & Socket style connector, and my was a slip joint. ARH made their ball with enough of a shank <?> before the ball that I was able to cut the ball off and slip the shank into my slip joint of the Cat-Back exhaust. It was a "Nice and Tight" fit, almost as if ARH made it to work that way.

I am very happy with the fit and finish of the ARH's kit.

· Registered
267 Posts
I went with the 3/4" setup for just that reason (fitment), that and I am going crazy for horsepower. lol

I was initially looking at Kooks, but the ARH reviews won me over (and the price made me feel a little better about my choice). My biggest issue was trying to find ANYBODY to ship to California.

No regrets, I am glad that I went with the setup that I did. The install with the 3/4" set was very straight forward, I didn't have to lift the engine to get them installed.

One thing to note. The right side mid pipe comes with the Ball & Socket style connector, and my was a slip joint. ARH made their ball with enough of a shank <?> before the ball that I was able to cut the ball off and slip the shank into my slip joint of the Cat-Back exhaust. It was a "Nice and Tight" fit, almost as if ARH made it to work that way.

I am very happy with the fit and finish of the ARH's kit.
Thank you. It looks like the cats on the ARH midpipes are up by the header whereas the Kooks has the cats way down at the other end of midpipes by the catback. Surely that’ll help with ground clearance. Did the stock length o2 sensors work or did you need extensions?

· Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you. It looks like the cats on the ARH midpipes are up by the header whereas the Kooks has the cats way down at the other end of midpipes by the catback. Surely that’ll help with ground clearance. Did the stock length o2 sensors work or did you need extensions?
The cats are mounted close to the collector.

The kit comes with:
Headers,
Mid-pipe w/cats,
Hardware (bolts),
Gaskets, (although I opted for the Mopar Gasket set, I prefer the MLS style gaskets; 05038098AA-99AA)
O2 sensor extensions (x4)(there is a little tab on one end of the extensions that need to be removed (I used a grinder) to fit. (y)

*no directions provided. I downloaded the instructions from Kooks set online.
It is a very complete kit.

· Registered
267 Posts
The cats are mounted close to the collector.

The kit comes with:
Headers,
Mid-pipe w/cats,
Hardware (bolts),
Gaskets, (although I opted for the Mopar Gasket set, I prefer the MLS style gaskets; 05038098AA-99AA)
O2 sensor extensions (x4)(there is a little tab on one end of the extensions that need to be removed (I used a grinder) to fit. (y)

*no directions provided. I downloaded the instructions from Kooks set online.
It is a very complete kit.
Bumping an old thread here. I got a great deal on a set of never used ARH long tubes like what you installed. Only problem is they didn’t come with anything but the headers and cat pipes. I’ve already ordered a set of oem exhaust manifold gaskets. I’m going to order some upgraded headed bolts anyways cause the reason I’m going in there is I have a couple broken bolts giving me a terrible tick. My question is, do you remember how long the o2 sensor extension were? I’ve see a bunch online with various lengths and I want to get the right ones. Thank you in advance.

· Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Bumping an old thread here. I got a great deal on a set of never used ARH long tubes like what you installed. Only problem is they didn’t come with anything but the headers and cat pipes. I’ve already ordered a set of oem exhaust manifold gaskets. I’m going to order some upgraded headed bolts anyways cause the reason I’m going in there is I have a couple broken bolts giving me a terrible tick. My question is, do you remember how long the o2 sensor extension were? I’ve see a bunch online with various lengths and I want to get the right ones. Thank you in advance.
Let me get back to you tomorrow. I will need to measure them, but I believe that they are about 6".

· Registered
267 Posts
Let me get back to you tomorrow. I will need to measure them, but I believe that they are about 6".
Oh yeah, take your time. I’m still a few weeks out from trying to install these. I want to get a before and after dyno so I’m looking for a shop with an awd dyno near me.

· Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Oh yeah, take your time. I’m still a few weeks out from trying to install these. I want to get a before and after dyno so I’m looking for a shop with an awd dyno near me.
I wish I could find a awd dyno near me also.

The extentions are about 12 inches long. I couldn't get an accurate measurement without removing an o2 sensor.

Weather permit, I will be replacing the #1 sensors this week, along with the spark plugs.

· Registered
WK2 5.7
484 Posts
Looks like the headers are about $2k with cats. Tempting to do those on mine. Or do I put the money into a BWS turbo on the SRT-4? :D The only thing I have to worry about is how well they'll handle salt in the winter. My WK2 is my winter beater, so eventually it will turn into a pile of rust. On my 02 WJ, I had the Magnaflow Y pipe, which seemed to hold up ok to several years in the salt. Surface rust, but it's still solid, still hanging in my garage. Have fun doing the spark plugs, lots of wrench turning, for sure.

· Registered
5 Posts
Is this the correct link for the headers you installed.....

The description says 2011-2018 but I'm assuming they will also fit my 2021 5.7 WK2?

· Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Is this the correct link for the headers you installed.....

The description says 2011-2018 but I'm assuming they will also fit my 2021 5.7 WK2?
They fit on my 2020 without any issues. :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts