Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there... wondering if anyone has any advice or opinions on my A/C problem as described below. Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Vehicle = 2012 V6

Repeatable issue during highway / freeway driving at outside temperatures above 100 deg:
  • air initially cools down to near 40F for some time
  • cold air flow begins to noticeably decrease
  • cold air temp starts increasing to greater than 80F (at which point its getting too hot in the cabin)

This was during a recent family trip from AZ to CA naturally, and I started freaking out. I decided to cycle the A/C OFF for about a minute or two while letting it blow "ambient" temp... the flow increases back to "normal" and warms up... I then turn A/C back on... it goes right back to blowing cold. This "cycle" repeats regularly during highway driving (over 65 MPH).

I figure its freezing up for some reason, but it also seems somewhat dependent on engine load/demand.

80K miles, never had an A/C service.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hi there... wondering if anyone has any advice or opinions on my A/C problem as described below. Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Vehicle = 2012 V6

Repeatable issue during highway / freeway driving at outside temperatures above 100 deg:
  • cold air temp starts increasing to greater than 80F (at which point its getting too hot in the cabin)

This was during a recent family trip from AZ to CA naturally, and I started freaking out. I decided to cycle the A/C OFF for about a minute or two while letting it blow "ambient" temp... the flow increases back to "normal" and warms up... I then turn A/C back on... it goes right back to blowing cold. This "cycle" repeats regularly during highway driving (over 65 MPH).

I figure its freezing up for some reason, but it also seems somewhat dependent on engine load/demand.

Thoughts?
Get the pressure checked. It could be low on freon, or a leak. Check cabin air filter too. Also listen outside of the cabin for a somewhat high-pitched whining or squeaking noise while idling,

·
Registered
2014 Summit 5.7 4wd 20" tires swapped to 18", added all skid plates
2,576 Posts

Vehicle = 2012 V6

Thoughts?
Those are all the classic symptoms of a low refrigerant charge. At 9 years of age loss of enough refrigerant to be "low" is within design parameters, at the high end but still within "normal" loss. Any shop should be able to assess and recharge. If they tell you you need more than a recharge be suspicious and take it elsewhere for a second opinion.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Those are all the classic symptoms of a low refrigerant charge. At 9 years of age loss of enough refrigerant to be "low" is within design parameters, at the high end but still within "normal" loss. Any shop should be able to assess and recharge. If they tell you you need more than a recharge be suspicious and take it elsewhere for a second opinion.
Agreed.
Although still listen for that sound I mentioned. If you hear it..it could be a bad pulley on the AC compressor unit.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys... definitely no strange noises going on. I'll move on to getting the system checked for charge/leaks.

Reactions: PowerJRod

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well to close the loop on this one -- Sun Devil Auto recharged it and replaced the test port valves/plugs, no leaks detected at the time. System runs great so far!

As a side note -- it cost me $190 to get this done. Manager there says "newer" systems (the fancy environmentally friendly stuff) can cost at least $550 and some places charge up to $1K for it. Yikes!

Reactions: PowerJRod

·
Registered
High altitude
56 Posts
Well to close the loop on this one -- Sun Devil Auto recharged it and replaced the test port valves/plugs, no leaks detected at the time. System runs great so far!

As a side note -- it cost me $190 to get this done. Manager there says "newer" systems (the fancy environmentally friendly stuff) can cost at least $550 and some places charge up to $1K for it. Yikes!
Hopefully they added dye to the system so when the charge gets low again they can use a UV light to find the leak.

·
Registered
2019 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
161 Posts

Thanks for coming back and posting the resolution of your problem. Nice when members do that, particularly newer members. That's what keeps these forums going. And, glad you got your problem figured out, and at such a reasonable price.

Keith

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hopefully they added dye to the system so when the charge gets low again they can use a UV light to find the leak.
yes there is dye in the system, i'll take a look myself after a few days of use.

Reactions: Meanmrmustard
1 - 10 of 10 Posts