·
Registered
2014 Grand Cheroker Overland ATG ORAII
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just saw my notice this am ver disturbing. I question the reliability of this Jeep maybe they should just buy them all back

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
609 Posts
Did I read correctly that they're "fixing" this physical part defect with a software update?

Reactions: Natzoo

·
Premium Member
SRT8
2,385 Posts
DO i need to take my jeep to dealership to have this fixed? I have a 2014 JGC overland 4x4 ecodiesel
Yes Independent shops will not have the ability to upgrade the software. If they do You'll be paying for it.

Dealer is 100% free to you

·
Registered
263 Posts
Sounds like if the crank sensor goes bad it will switch to the cam sensor. Don't know how long that will work but they will probably use it to keep from fixing the crank sensor under recall and charge us for it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yes Independent shops will not have the ability to upgrade the software. If they do You'll be paying for it.

Dealer is 100% free to you
OK! Thank you for your reply! Can you explain to me what exactly the recall is? I am female and a new jeep owner ha..

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not liking this, so-called "software fix" for a hardware issue, one bit:mad:.
Sounds like a "quick and dirty" to me.
On the other hand, if this is a band-aid so you will not be stranded and you then take it to the dealer for the tone ring replacement, not such a bad thing. More importantly, this all provided that they extend the engine warranty to cover this specific issue.

Reactions: DJP2014

·
Premium Member
259 Posts
So will this update be lost when I put my GDE tuned ECU back in after the dealer visit?

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Or conversely will this wipe out GDE if you have it installed?

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
They will have to flash the ECM in order to update it, so yet, it will wipe a tune. If you visit the dealer with a spare ECM installed, your tune will not have this feature.

You all bitch when FCA doesn't fix stuff, and you bitch when they do lol. Can't please some people. This is a good recall to not leave you stranded should the crank pos sensor fail. It's rare, don't lose sleep over this recall.

·
Premium Member
259 Posts
Don't recall complaining, just asking, but thanks yet again for your insight, opinion and judgement.

·
Registered
899 Posts
They will have to flash the ECM in order to update it, so yet, it will wipe a tune. If you visit the dealer with a spare ECM installed, your tune will not have this feature.

You all bitch when FCA doesn't fix stuff, and you bitch when they do lol. Can't please some people. This is a good recall to not leave you stranded should the crank pos sensor fail. It's rare, don't lose sleep over this recall.
I'm pretty sure they don't have another choice on this. If someone gets killed because of this it would cost them again dearly. This is safety only, not because they want happy customers.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
And in the 58+ k vehicle produced, just how big and critical is/ has this problem been? what happens if you don't do it?

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It IS an issue with sufficient complaints of failure (1020) to NHTSA to address it as a SAFETY ITEM. It appears to be a "wear item" due to the deterioration of the magnetic coating on the tone ring.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Mine was built on 5/14/2014 ... Looks like the recall is for jeeps built after June 9 2014. Is that correct or is it for all 2014 jeeps?

·
Registered
JGC Overland
325 Posts
Mine was built on 5/14/2014 ... Looks like the recall is for jeeps built after June 9 2014. Is that correct or is it for all 2014 jeeps?
Run you VIN at the Jeep owners website....it'll tell you for sure. Is yours a diesel?

1 - 20 of 71 Posts