Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a 2013 jeep GC Laredo and I'm dealing with the fuel pump relay problem. It had the recall done. I searched and searched and found you can replace it with a newer relay because this one might be bad. Found the exact one from eBay and put it on. Still has long crank. So searched again and found someone found a relay from AutoZone and replaced it still has a long crank. Doesn't do it every time but still does it. What is could it be if not that? Or what other things should I look at or diagnos to see if I can fix it?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Dealing with the same thing on daughter's 2014 Grand Cherokee; I put in the relay bypass cable by Vertical Solutions and no help.....I'll be looking at a crankshaft sensor and possibly a fuel pump next. I hate throwing parts at a problem but the dealer's have been zero help (been to two) and the computers aren't setting error codes..

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought about reversing what the dealer did and buying that companies bypass modules they sell but I haven't. My problem has go to be either the actual fuel pump or something else. I read one trick I can do which works is to press the start button twice without pressing the brake and let it cycle on then press brake which works every time and doesn't crank long.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I thought about reversing what the dealer did and buying that companies bypass modules they sell but I haven't. My problem has go to be either the actual fuel pump or something else. I read one trick I can do which works is to press the start button twice without pressing the brake and let it cycle on then press brake which works every time and doesn't crank long.
I’ve replaced the fuel relay too. Unfortunately now I just press the button twice and then brake / start. I also ran some fuel system cleaner hoping that helps.

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
55 Posts
I don't think it is the actual relay but the wiring they did to move the relay external to the TIPM. I think they soldered some wires in the harness. I had the recall done several years ago and my 2011 just started again having the crank no start issues again. If you wiggle the wiring harness related to the recall mod, it will start! I talked to a Service adviser and he said the same thing.
Also, the double start button thing mentioned above works to get it to start. Weird! Almost sounds like it can be a computer software issue too.

Does anybody know what actual work will be done for the new recall and when the parts will be available?

·
Registered
2014 GC Overland
251 Posts
The fuel pump has a stop valve built into it that keeps the fuel from draining back into the tank when it's not running so keeps the fuel lines pressurized. If that stop valve doesn't hold pressure the engine cranks while pressure builds back up. The vehicle runs fine once it starts and in my case would only "long crank" after sitting 5-6 hours. It's also possible a leaking injector could allow a drop in line pressure and display the same symptoms. Pressing the start button twice gets the fuel pump running and building pressure so when you put your foot on the brake it starts right up. If that's what you are seeing it's probably not the fuel relay. A failing fuel pump could also cause long crank/no start and that can be identified by testing the line pressure.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts