Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
If you read the fine print of the MaxCare warranty, you will see that in addition to covering all the non-wear items on the vehicle, they also cover up to THREE lost key fobs, including:
-new fob
-key cutting
-fob programming.

·
Super Moderator
8,499 Posts
Re: Another reason to get Mopar's MaxCare warranty

Yes, it could be a nice benefit.

BTW, while a lot of folks seem to use the term interchangeably, MaxCare 's not a "warranty"; it's an extended service contract. Hence, the deductible, etc.

·
Registered
53 Posts

Yes, it could be a nice benefit.

BTW, while a lot of folks seem to use the term interchangeably, MaxCare 's not a "warranty"; it's an extended service contract. Hence, the deductible, etc.
Not to torture a point, but MaxCare is definitely a warrant and not a service contract. It's a warranty because the $100 deductible is per visit, not per claim. I can show up needing a new engine and a new UConnect 8.4 unit and its $100 if the claim is a single vist. Also, I could choose a flavor of MaxCare that is $0 deductible, so wouldn't that your definition of a warranty?

I thought 'Extended service contract' is just free oil changes and tire rotations, hence are waste of money. Maybe just marketing terms.

·
Registered
16 Posts

If you read the fine print of the MaxCare warranty, you will see that in addition to covering all the non-wear items on the vehicle, they also cover up to TWO lost key fobs, including:
-new fob
-key cutting
-fob programming.
Where did you find this in the MaxCare document? I don't see it in my 2/10/15 agreement. Is this new, or perhaps old? My agreement specifically excludes "Portable Units including but not limited to - key fobs; remote transmitters; headphones; I-Pods; GPS units; DVD players; laptop computers; cellular phones; any hand-held device; Navigation DVD".

It addition it specifically states "NOTE: REMOTE TRANSMITTERS ARE NOT COVERED AT ANY TIME.". This wording appears under both Electrical and Luxury Group.

I did lose a fob and replaced it. I never thought of looking toward MaxCare to cover it.

·
Super Moderator
8,499 Posts

Not to torture a point, but MaxCare is definitely a warrant and not a service contract. It's a warranty because the $100 deductible is per visit, not per claim.
My MaxCare contract document clearly says it's an extended service contract in writing. And they have not charged me multiple times for multiple visits while dealing with an issue.

I thought 'Extended service contract' is just free oil changes and tire rotations, hence are waste of money. Maybe just marketing terms.
They offer that, too, but it's a separate contract from the MaxCare contract. There's also a wheel/tire plan that actually is worth considering based on feedback in the forum.

·
Registered
Black Summit
3,784 Posts

The wheel and tire contract is worth considering. In 30 years of driving I have never bent a rim but I have bent two of these 20 inch summit rims in 1 year at separate times. They bend fairly easy at $700 a pop installed. It doesn't take much of a bend to throw this setup into the shakes on the highway. the tire and wheel policy is only like $310 for 7 yrs and gives you $1500 a year, I had to bend two rims before I got smart enough to buy it. The specifics of it are on the website.

·
formerly 14summithemi
3,850 Posts

Not to torture a point, but MaxCare is definitely a warrant and not a service contract. It's a warranty because the $100 deductible is per visit, not per claim. I can show up needing a new engine and a new UConnect 8.4 unit and its $100 if the claim is a single vist. Also, I could choose a flavor of MaxCare that is $0 deductible, so wouldn't that your definition of a warranty?

They offer the per visit vs per item deductible since nobody would buy it with a "per item" deductible...

A warranty guarantees that a product is fit for an intended purpose. So they are held to a different legal standard like the lemon laws that defines when after throwing parts at a problem the product is not fit for it's purpose...3 attempts, blah blah...

A service contract is simply a commitment to service it per the contract. No guarantee it is ultimately fit for the intended purpose. They can continue to throw parts at a problem indefinitely (per contract) and as long as they are installing them correctly and not violating any business performance laws like fraud (not installing the part they say they did, etc..) you have no option but to put up with it.

So with a warranty you are guaranteed use for a specific purpose like reliable transpo to work and back or 4 wheeling, etc... If, due to repairs, you cannot use it for that (as defined in Lemon Laws) you have remedies.

With the Max Care Service Contract you are not being guaranteed that. If it's in the shop 99% of the time you can't say boo so long as they are doing their job per the service contract...

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Where did you find this in the MaxCare document? I don't see it in my 2/10/15 agreement. Is this new, or perhaps old? My agreement specifically excludes "Portable Units including but not limited to - key fobs; remote transmitters; headphones; I-Pods; GPS units; DVD players; laptop computers; cellular phones; any hand-held device; Navigation DVD".

It addition it specifically states "NOTE: REMOTE TRANSMITTERS ARE NOT COVERED AT ANY TIME.". This wording appears under both Electrical and Luxury Group.

I did lose a fob and replaced it. I never thought of looking toward MaxCare to cover it.

I'll see your fine print and raise you this...

KEY FOB: Subject to the limitations in this provision, the Plan provides (i) coverage for up to three key fob repairs or replacements, and (ii) a total key fob coverage benefit of $600, which limit applies notwithstanding the cost per repair or per replacement of the key fob for the Covered Vehicle. Key fob coverage is available even if this component is lost or stolen, and this coverage is not subject to the deductible that applies to repair visits for covered components. NOTE: FAILURE OF A KEY FOB BATTERY DOES NOT CONSTITUTE A MECHANICAL FAILURE OF THE KEY FOB.

And I was wrong... not two key fobs, but THREE (up to $600).

Actually, this is the fine print from my 7/75 MaxCare purchased for my 2015 Challenger SRT four months ago. I just ordered a new one for my 2015 JGC and the fine print is on the way to me via email. I'll be pissed if this provision was removed.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)

Just checked my inbox for new contract for the JGC and sure enough...

KEY FOB: Subject to the limitations in this provision, the Plan provides (i) coverage for up to three key fob repairs or replacements, and (ii) a total key fob coverage benefit of $600, which limit applies notwithstanding the cost per repair or per replacement of the key fob for the Covered Vehicle. Key fob coverage is available even if this component is lost or stolen, and this coverage is not subject to the deductible that applies to repair visits for covered components. NOTE: FAILURE OF A KEY FOB BATTERY DOES NOT CONSTITUTE A MECHANICAL FAILURE OF THE KEY FOB.

I also saw this...

Portable Units including but not limited to - headphones; I-Pods; GPS units; DVD players; laptop computers; cellular phones; any hand-held device; Navigation DVD;

I think you must have an older warranty or something.

·
Registered
Black Summit
3,784 Posts

"and this coverage is not subject to the deductible that applies to repair visits for covered components"

That's nice just walk into the dealer and say I want a new fob and its free

·
Premium Member
3,320 Posts

Just read through my MaxCare Lifetime contract twice, and cannot find the fob clause. Did find this: "NOTE: ANY REMOTE TRANSMITTER IS NOT COVERED AT ANY TIME."

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)

Just read through my MaxCare Lifetime contract twice, and cannot find the fob clause. Did find this: "NOTE: ANY REMOTE TRANSMITTER IS NOT COVERED AT ANY TIME."
When did you get this warranty? I'll bet it was early last year. Things have changed since.

If you are still within 12 months of new purchase, you can cancel your warranty and get the 'new and improved' warranty that includes the three key fob replacement clause. Check prices, there may be an increase.

·
Registered
Altitude
2,741 Posts
Another reason to get Mopar's MaxCare warranty

I have a zero deductible with mine. Granted after my 2014 disaster (lemon/buy back) I made Jeep give me the best of everything for my 2015 including the top MaxCare plan offered and road hazard tire/wheel coverage for 7 years.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage

·
Registered
16 Posts

Just checked my inbox for new contract for the JGC and sure enough...

I also saw this...

Portable Units including but not limited to - headphones; I-Pods; GPS units; DVD players; laptop computers; cellular phones; any hand-held device; Navigation DVD;

I think you must have an older warranty or something.
I definitely do not have this KEY FOB language in my agreement. Based on what you say in post 14, it sounds like they upgraded the provisions after I purchased my MaxCare in February 2015. The good news, is the price I paid for MaxCare is less than what seems to be the going rate today. The difference is approximately what I paid for a new FOB on Amazon plus the dealer programming. So, if I do not need this provision in the future, it is a wash. If I need another FOB, I lose. I am also beyond 12 months, so I can not cancel and rebuy without any penalty.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Changes from the original agreement

Now you got me thinking, so I went to jeep.com and worked my way through to the point where I could download a PDF copy of my MaxCare agreement. I have the lifetime with a $100 deductible. I then compared the current document with my original document. Still no KEY FOB clause, but there were dozens of differences.

Most were minor typos, and telephone number changes. They also changed a few minor items including the state of Oklahoma cancellation maximum and specifying batteries for components were not included. None of these had any material effect on the agreement in my opinion.

There were however two potentially material changes.

1) Under the What is Covered? section they added:

ENGINE EMISSIONS: Air Pump; Air Supply Hose; Leak Detection Pump; Evaporative System Detector/Monitor; Vapor Canister; Air Injection Valve; EGR Valve; EGR Cooler; Aspirator Tube; Fuel Tank Pressure Sensor; EGR Tube; Purge Solenoid; Knock Sensor; Oxygen Sensor; Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF) System.
NOTE: CATALYTIC CONVERTOR AND PARTICULATE FILTER ARE NOT COVERED.

2) Under the Exclusions section they removed:

Portable Units including but not limited to - key fobs; remote transmitters; headphones; I-Pods; GPS units; DVD players; laptop computers; cellular phones; any hand-held device; Navigation DVD;

The original language that excluded remote transmitters (and headphones) in the What is Covered? section still remains.

It looks to me that the net result is I have lost coverage for the catalytic converter and particulate filter. I may have picked up coverage for several "Portable Units", although none apply to me with the exception of the key fob that is specifically excluded elsewhere.

I am not going to do anything now, but it I ever have the catalytic converter fail, I will just bring them a copy of my original agreement. It does concern me that they think they can change the agreement at any time.What other updates will be made over time?

·
Premium Member
3,320 Posts

When did you get this warranty? I'll bet it was early last year. Things have changed since.

If you are still within 12 months of new purchase, you can cancel your warranty and get the 'new and improved' warranty that includes the three key fob replacement clause. Check prices, there may be an increase.
I bought my MaxCare contract when I bought my Jeep, in April of 2013. It will be 3 years next month, so I have what I have. I did only pay about $2,200 for it, so I guess I can't complain to much.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Re: Changes from the original agreement

I am not going to do anything now, but it I ever have the catalytic converter fail, I will just bring them a copy of my original agreement. It does concern me that they think they can change the agreement at any time.What other updates will be made over time?
They can change for new contracts all they want, you/they are only bound to the original agreement. So, you don't get fob, but do you get catalytic converted protection.

·
Registered
60 Posts

I bought my maxcare last month for my 2014 and the key fobs are covered with a waived deductable up to 600.00.. I only got one when I bought the vehicle certified so time to put this warranty to work lol.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts