Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Re: Changes from the original agreement

They can change for new contracts all they want, you/they are only bound to the original agreement.
No doubt about it. I just wonder how many unsuspecting people may be denied coverage for this, or anything else than changes over time. At some future time, a service manager could pull up the online agreement with my name on it and show me the catalytic converter (or whatever else changes) is not covered. If I did not realize it was a change to my original agreement, I might just go along with what the service manages shows me.

Hopefully I am just being too cynical.

·
Registered
984 Posts

They can change for new contracts all they want, you/they are only bound to the original agreement. So, you don't get fob, but do you get catalytic converted protection.
Yes and no. It depends on the language.

If there's anything in there to the tune of "terms, prices and coverage may change without notice" then they can and will change things at will. That same language exists in pretty much every contract or EULA you agree to.

You can say all you want that "I have a contract", but very few agreements exist that don't allow a company an out to either raise prices (if paying monthly) or change the amount of service provided.

I'm not saying that exists in this contract, but I would actually be surprised if it doesn't. Just the idea they may have to provide certain parts or service to a vehicle that may have those parts or maintenance procedures discontinued from the general operation at any point should make them want an out on some of it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #23

Yes and no. It depends on the language.

If there's anything in there to the tune of "terms, prices and coverage may change without notice" then they can and will change things at will. That same language exists in pretty much every contract or EULA you agree to.

I get what you're saying however, I personally would never buy an open ended contract like that. Lets say the transfer cases on all Jeep GC's were defective and all started going bad after 50K miles. That's a huge liability for them that they could relieve themselves of it by simply altering the coverage.

Also...there's this:

No Dealer, Dealer employee or our employee has the authority to modify or change any provision of this Plan.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Re: Another reason to get Mopar's MaxCare warranty

Currently the JGC SRT8 and Audi SQ5 are my two top choices and I'm leaning towards the SRT in no small part because I can get a lifetime warranty for the SRT vs Audi doesn't back up their vehicle beyond 4 years/48k miles. You can get an over priced 3rd party extended warranty for the Audi but they have gobs of BBB complaints against them. Plus the Audi is very expensive to repair/maintain.

·
Registered
2016 Ram 2500 CC/LB
85 Posts

When I bought my JGC WK2 I really had second thoughts about getting it, But then my wife reminded me that our 1992 Ram B-150 had the lifetime warranty on it, and the warranty was still in effect. The warranty has no mileage limit on it. So buying when we got the vehicle was great. I wish I could have bought it for my Ram 2500. But because I have a IL6 6.7L CTD, it is not available on it. Good Luck.

·
Registered
359 Posts

Now you got me thinking, so I went to jeep.com and worked my way through to the point where I could download a PDF copy of my MaxCare agreement. I have the lifetime with a $100 deductible. I then compared the current document with my original document. Still no KEY FOB clause, but there were dozens of differences.

Most were minor typos, and telephone number changes. They also changed a few minor items including the state of Oklahoma cancellation maximum and specifying batteries for components were not included. None of these had any material effect on the agreement in my opinion.

There were however two potentially material changes.

1) Under the What is Covered? section they added:

ENGINE EMISSIONS: Air Pump; Air Supply Hose; Leak Detection Pump; Evaporative System Detector/Monitor; Vapor Canister; Air Injection Valve; EGR Valve; EGR Cooler; Aspirator Tube; Fuel Tank Pressure Sensor; EGR Tube; Purge Solenoid; Knock Sensor; Oxygen Sensor; Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF) System.
NOTE: CATALYTIC CONVERTOR AND PARTICULATE FILTER ARE NOT COVERED.

2) Under the Exclusions section they removed:

Portable Units including but not limited to - key fobs; remote transmitters; headphones; I-Pods; GPS units; DVD players; laptop computers; cellular phones; any hand-held device; Navigation DVD;

The original language that excluded remote transmitters (and headphones) in the What is Covered? section still remains.

It looks to me that the net result is I have lost coverage for the catalytic converter and particulate filter. I may have picked up coverage for several "Portable Units", although none apply to me with the exception of the key fob that is specifically excluded elsewhere.

I am not going to do anything now, but it I ever have the catalytic converter fail, I will just bring them a copy of my original agreement. It does concern me that they think they can change the agreement at any time.What other updates will be made over time?
December 2014 lifetime contract $100 deductible on a 2015 JGC:

I have the same catalytic converter exclusion.

I have the same $600 fob coverage.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts

They offer the per visit vs per item deductible since nobody would buy it with a "per item" deductible...

A warranty guarantees that a product is fit for an intended purpose. So they are held to a different legal standard like the lemon laws that defines when after throwing parts at a problem the product is not fit for it's purpose...3 attempts, blah blah...

A service contract is simply a commitment to service it per the contract. No guarantee it is ultimately fit for the intended purpose. They can continue to throw parts at a problem indefinitely (per contract) and as long as they are installing them correctly and not violating any business performance laws like fraud (not installing the part they say they did, etc..) you have no option but to put up with it.

So with a warranty you are guaranteed use for a specific purpose like reliable transpo to work and back or 4 wheeling, etc... If, due to repairs, you cannot use it for that (as defined in Lemon Laws) you have remedies.

With the Max Care Service Contract you are not being guaranteed that. If it's in the shop 99% of the time you can't say boo so long as they are doing their job per the service contract...
Exactly. Maximum Care is not a warranty, no matter how hard some people might wish to force that meme.

It looks to me that the net result is I have lost coverage for the catalytic converter and particulate filter.
Eh, the catalytic converter and DPF were never covered by Max Care, so the updated language is simply clarifying that. These components *are* covered (see here) by the 8 year/80k emissions warranty (yes, an actual warranty rather than a service contract). This is probably a net win for diesel owners anyway, because:

1) the emissions warranty is a warranty, as opposed to a service contract, and
2) the longest max care one can obtain for a diesel is 8 yr/120k, so it would only be relevant if the owner A) bought an 8 yr Max Care plan with >80k coverage, B) drove more than 80k and less than the mileage limit for their Max Care contract (e.g. 120k miles) within the 8 years, and C) have their DPF/SCR die during the coverage gap. Presumably relatively few owners will fall within that precise scenario.

I have been refusing the emissions recall on my SCR because it's never given me any trouble. If it ever does, I'll probably perform a full DPF/SCR delete & flash. But it's nice to know it's under warranty.

Probably the more annoying consequence of the "exhaust system components" exclusion in Max Care (i.e. putatively the reason DPF/SCR aren't covered), is that if the muffler or exhaust pipe rust through then they aren't covered.

·
Registered
110 Posts

The wheel and tire contract is worth considering. In 30 years of driving I have never bent a rim but I have bent two of these 20 inch summit rims in 1 year at separate times. They bend fairly easy at $700 a pop installed. It doesn't take much of a bend to throw this setup into the shakes on the highway. the tire and wheel policy is only like $310 for 7 yrs and gives you $1500 a year, I had to bend two rims before I got smart enough to buy it. The specifics of it are on the website.
Curious as to how you bent your rims.

·
Registered
2016 Ram 2500 CC/LB
85 Posts

Curious as to how you bent your rims.
I didn't think about that but are the Tire's and Wheels covered under the Mascara warranty. I thought I read that they were not covered, unless I read it wrong, and or misunderstood it?

·
formerly 14summithemi
3,850 Posts
love autocorrect, Mascara, too funny...u r correct, not covered have to have the additional tire wheel coverage...

·
Registered
2016 Ram 2500 CC/LB
85 Posts
Klingan
When we bought our JGC we bought the Lifetime Warranty. Ever since we have been getting e-mails to purchase a Lifetime Warranty of our 2016 Ram 2500, only problem they do not offer one for the Diesel Engine Vehicles. If you have a gas engine what awhile they get cheaper every month. It seems as you approach 12000 miles.

·
Super Moderator
8,318 Posts
Is it cheaper to buy the Maxcare warranty at the time of purchase or afterward?
The cost raises slightly at 12 mos/12K miles for the Mopar MaxCare Extended Service Contract, so lowest cost is certainly before those things happen. I bought mine just shy of 12K miles (which was much less than one year due to my driving needs). Some of it's also the negotiation dance, especially if the dealer you're buying the vehicle from isn't playing ball on the price and being competitive with the online dealers who discount.

Theoretically, you don't "need" the service contract until you are approaching the 3/36 boundary, but having it sooner does provide some benefits, such as the loaner/rental car, etc., even during the OEM Warranty period.

·
Premium Member
3,147 Posts
6/60 MAXIMUM CARE (bought March 2017):

"KEY FOB: Subject to the limitations in this provision, the Plan provides (i) coverage for up to three key fob repairs or replacements, and (ii) a total key fob coverage benefit of $600, which limit applies notwithstanding the cost per repair or per replacement of the key fob for the Covered Vehicle. Key fob coverage is available even if this component is lost or stolen, and this coverage is not subject to the deductible that applies to repair visits for covered components.
NOTE: FAILURE OF A KEY FOB BATTERY DOES NOT CONSTITUTE A MECHANICAL FAILURE OF THE KEY FOB."

In addition, this weird caveat:

"Notice to consumers who financed their contract through Ford Motor Credit Company (FMCC)
• • •
The total of all benefits payable under this Plan shall not exceed the purchase price of the vehicle.
Key Fob coverage is not subject to quantity and dollar limitations.
The following statement does not apply: Plans sold beyond 12 months or 12,000 miles from the original in-service date have a surcharge applied to the Plan cost. $150 of the applicable surcharge is non-refundable after 60 days from the Plan sale date."

So if you financed through FMCC you get unlimited Fobs!

·
Super Moderator
8,318 Posts
Hmmm....financing a new Jeep via FMCC is an, um...interesting...concept. LOL

·
Registered
2012 Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7
461 Posts
Have any of you had an issue with Claim Denial, I just seen this thread but started one Here
Warranty claim denied

·
Super Moderator
8,318 Posts
Have any of you had an issue with Claim Denial, I just seen this thread but started one Here
I never had a single blink on anything over a 7 year period with my contract.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts