Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
Same
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well here we go again , Jeep wouldn't start :mad: cranked but acted like it had no fuel , Fuel relay recall had already been done , towed to the dealer and after the dealer having it for 4 days they could not duplicate the problem again ! (not starting) They told me that they checked everything and the Jeep starts up every time:mad: so after 4 days I picked it up drove it about 10 miles it sat for about 2 hrs and :eek: the Jeep would't start again!!! :mad:
So after about 10 mins of trying the Jeep finally did start and back to the dealer I went :mad: And again they found no problems !! Called Jeep Customer Service center and filed a complaint because they wont change the TIPM knowing theres a major problem with these !!!
waiting on a call on Monday and will keep you guys posted!

till then Im gonna drive my WK2 till it completely dies :thumbsup:

if anyone else has had this problem after you had the fuel pump recall please fill me it

thanks again !!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Videos are your friend, seriously, video tape every single start up until it replicates. I had several issues the dealership may not have been able to duplicate, but had videos to show it that it was happening.

·
Registered
Same
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Another TIPM Problem WK2 Fuel pump relay UPDATE

Just an FYI , after making a claim with Chrysler Jeep , i got absolutely nowhere , So I took my chances and bought an external relay (OMRON ELECTRONIC COMPONENTS G8JN-1C6T-DC12 AUTOMOTIVE RELAY, SPDT, 12VDC, 35A ) for 12 bucks , waited for the non starting issue to happen again ( about a week later ) then there it was ! A NO START :mad: so I got out my test light and tested the external relay ( Post Recall Fix ) :confused: and found the correct power but the coil wasn't pulling in !! so at least I found the problem and changed the relay , 2 min job ! :thumbsup::thumbsup:
good luck guys !!!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Mine is at the dealership right now with the exact same problem. They replaced the TPM and now they're saying I need a new fuel pump for $1300! Has there been a recall for fuel pumps too?

·
Registered
178 Posts

Just an FYI , after making a claim with Chrysler Jeep , i got absolutely nowhere , So I took my chances and bought an external relay (OMRON ELECTRONIC COMPONENTS G8JN-1C6T-DC12 AUTOMOTIVE RELAY, SPDT, 12VDC, 35A ) for 12 bucks , waited for the non starting issue to happen again ( about a week later ) then there it was ! A NO START :mad: so I got out my test light and tested the external relay ( Post Recall Fix ) :confused: and found the correct power but the coil wasn't pulling in !! so at least I found the problem and changed the relay , 2 min job ! :thumbsup::thumbsup:
good luck guys !!!
Bart Man-

Having the same issue. Thanks for the advice. Ordering one external relay tonight.

·
Registered
178 Posts
The exact part number is OMRON G8JN-1C6T-F-R-DC12. Make sure you get this part. It is a metal body and weather proof.

·
Registered
2011 GC Overland
3,729 Posts
Can someone explain how the external relay fits into the overall picture here? Does it somehow replace some other "internal" relay?
Fuel pump relay recall
http://www.wk2jeeps.com/tsb/rc_P5414.pdf

The internal relay was bad or could go bad so it was cheaper for FCA to bypass it and install an external relay. Some feel the entire TIPM should have been replaced with an updated part, rather than a hack job done on the old one.

·
Registered
74 Posts

Bart Man-

Having the same issue. Thanks for the advice. Ordering one external relay tonight.
Where are you ordering the relay from? I may just do that myself and save a trip to the dealer. I know that has to be the issue with mine also.

·
Registered
5 Posts

Where are you ordering the relay from? I may just do that myself and save a trip to the dealer. I know that has to be the issue with mine also.
I am having the same exact issue (shutoff after start) and suspected the external relay as well.

I found what appears to be the same one on Amazon here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DECZ78Q/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Note: The product description does not match OMRON G8JN-1C6T-F-R-DC12 100%, but the pictures that were provided do. I'll post an update once I get it in and confirm whether or not it's the right one.

·
Registered
74 Posts

I am having the same exact issue (shutoff after start) and suspected the external relay as well.

I found what appears to be the same one on Amazon here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DECZ78Q/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I didn't know those external relays were socketed. That's a cinch!

I went ahead and ordered one via Amazon. Be here Wednesday. Exact replacement down to the model number that was installed via recall 3 years ago.

I'll happily pay $15 total with Prime than go to the dealer... even if they replaced it for free. I hate the dealer BS.

If I went to the dealer... I can just see it starting perfecting and getting a nice $100 diagnostic invoice stating "can't replicate problem"... then getting stranded on the way home.

Of course... I could barely get the WK2 started this morning... but it has started perfectly multiple times all afternoon. Go figure...

Gotta love Amazon. They carry everything and ship fast!

·
Registered
178 Posts
If you go to the OMRON website and research the part number, there are multiple versions of the part. Some are plastic bodies. Some are metal bodies. Some are not weatherproof. Others are weatherproof. I used the exact part number that Jeep installed after the recall- metal body and weatherproof. The part number is coded to match the metal body and weatherproof.

·
Registered
74 Posts

Note: The product description does not match OMRON G8JN-1C6T-F-R-DC12 100%, but the pictures that were provided do. I'll post an update once I get it in and confirm whether or not it's the right one.
OK... Ordered this relay on Monday via Amazon and got it today.

The relay received does not have the "F-R" designation in the part number as the Amazon picture shows.

The external relay that Chrysler originally installed under recall does have the "F-R" designation... but the housing is plastic. The Amazon relay is also plastic. Both relays appear to be of comparable quality.

Took me about 5 minutes to install the Amazon relay. Hardest part was removing the plastic push pin. Also needed to reuse the metal mounting bracket since the new relay didn't come with one. Was able to reuse the push pin and bracket without issue.

Have started the WK2 about 6 times since the install. Starts perfect each and every time. I'll give it 2 to 3 days and report back how things are going.

·
Registered
5 Posts

OK... Ordered this relay on Monday via Amazon and got it today.

The relay received does not have the "F-R" designation in the part number as the Amazon picture shows.

The external relay that Chrysler originally installed under recall does have the "F-R" designation... but the housing is plastic. The Amazon relay is also plastic. Both relays appear to be of comparable quality.

Took me about 5 minutes to install the Amazon relay. Hardest part was removing the plastic push pin. Also needed to reuse the metal mounting bracket since the new relay didn't come with one. Was able to reuse the push pin and bracket without issue.

Have started the WK2 about 6 times since the install. Starts perfect each and every time. I'll give it 2 to 3 days and report back how things are going.
Note that I also did NOT receive the exact replacement/relay as pictured from Amazon. I received G8JN-1C6T-DC12. There are definitely differences between the FR and non-FR versions, including coil resistance and contact current rating. See Mouser's comparison chart below:

I'm going to try this out as well for a bit and see what happens. Worst case I return it to Amazon and re-order the exact part number from Mouser or some other shop.

·
Registered
178 Posts
If you go to the OMRON website and research the part number, there are multiple versions of the part. Some are plastic bodies. Some are metal bodies. Some are not weatherproof. Others are weatherproof. I used the exact part number that Jeep installed after the recall- metal body and weatherproof. The part number is coded to match the metal body and weatherproof.
Sorry for misinformation- it is not a metal body. It is a plastic body.

·
Registered
74 Posts

Note that I also did NOT receive the exact replacement/relay as pictured from Amazon. I received G8JN-1C6T-DC12. There are definitely differences between the FR and non-FR versions, including coil resistance and contact current rating. See Mouser's comparison chart below:
Thanks for posting the specs!

Based upon those numbers... the non-FR version is a higher quality relay probably made for heavy duty application.

It can handle significantly more current... and is much more energy efficient.

Chrysler probably didn't consider it because it's $2 more in bulk... and that adds up to millions over the course of a recall. The cheaper FR version probably met their requirements anyway.

This relay might just be a REALLY GOOD thing! I have absolutely no issues with the specs.

It seems to be working great for me. Perfect starts all day long today. Definitely beats going to the dealer which I originally had planned for today.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Just an update after several weeks with the new relay- no issues. Starts every time. Now I just jinxed myself!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Just an update after several weeks with the new relay- no issues. Starts every time. Now I just jinxed myself!
Same here. 15 days after install. Absolutely no issues.

One of the best 15 bucks I ever spent and saved me a trip to the dealer. That's reason enough to buy it!

Absolutely 100% totally worth it!

·
Registered
Jeep Grand Cherokee
1 Posts
So yesterday my wife's 2013 WK2 with the 3.6L left her stranded. Luckily she had friends to get her home. We've had the recall fuel pump relay done 2 years ago and for the last 2 days she's been having some very non pattern cranking and not starting episodes that resolved itself. My thought immediately was that POS "fix" that Jeep did was going bad. Sure enough I thought I'd pull off the relay and found something similar at Oriely's for $10 just to see if that was the problem and she fired right up. I did go ahead and order the Omron part via Amazon since the Oriely Band-Aid isn't weatherproof and the crap Jeep put on is. I find it hard to believe that this is in any level a decent fix that Jeep just threw at the wall to see if it sticks. A relay lasting only 2 years is very unsettling especially when it come to my wife potentially being stranded. Jeep should really come up with something better. Thanks for all the info in this thread to make me look like a genius in my wife's eyes!!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts