Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
2018 Grand Cherokee Overland 5.7l Hemi
55 Posts
Good info. My 2011 JGC Limited Hemi (98K miles) just gave me the no start for the second time in about 10 days now. It had been sitting in my garage for 2 days and I did verify that the fuel pump relay replacement with an external relay was completed about 3 years & 40K miles ago. I'm headed out on a 2500 mile trip starting this coming weekend so I ordered one of these Omron relays from Amazon and will have it on thursday. At least I'll have a relay with me to hopefully correct any non starting issues I encounter.

·
Registered
45 Posts
So you are all talking about the "no-Starting" problem which i've had to deal with as well. Dealership fixed it for though, twice now..

However, i don't see y'all talking about the "shutting down" issue... and it only happened as i applied the brakes to start slowing down.. That's been the worst of the issues. just driving a long, slow down for a turn, and BAM, jeeps shuts off on me. i started using my key fob so i could just put it in Neutral and restart quickly so i don't slow traffic down much.

i actually don't use the push to start function anymore, seems to shut down more often when i do. haven't had any issues since using the key fob.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Here is my recent experience with a 2011 WK2 with hemi V8. Intermittently, the engine would crank but not start. Then occasionally it would crank with significant misfire and raw gas smell. I dropped it at the dealership. The tech verified the crank with no start condition and found there was no pressure at the fuel rail. Tech concluded that the external fuel pump relay installed under the 2014 recall had failed. Defective external relay was replaced at no cost under the recall program. I pickup the vehicle today and hope for no repeat of the problem. It is difficult to understand why a fuel pump relay would only last less than 4 years.

·
Premium Member
2018 Grand Cherokee Overland 5.7l Hemi
55 Posts
My 2011 had started to occasionally be hard to start over the past few months. Long cranks finally starting after 4-5 attempts. Last month it stalled on me on a parking lot and it took about a dozen tries to start it. My JGC had the fuel pump relay recall completed about 40K miles, 3 years ago.

So I bought a $12 Omron relay on Amazon, took 2 minutes replacing it, and all seems fine now. Who knows, could do it again but relays do actually wear out over time since they're a mechanical device subject to extreme conditions in the engine compartment.

·
Registered
29 Posts
You'd think redesigning the TIPM to fit ONE MORE RELAY ON TOP with the rest as easy access required redesigning the whole fleet.... Pretty sure I've just run into this issue. Driving and suddenly the engine dies and acts like I'm out of gas (when I just filled up the 3 quarters of a tank so lol) Whoever designed this thing, as well as all the approvers down the line seriously need to suffer a piston through the cabin for this nonsense!

·
Registered
29 Posts
^ This!

To all those savvy under the hood that will be your best bet, as well as some of the aftermarket harnesses. As of now (June 2019) the two places I've hit up for the official harness will only ship it to a dealer to my dismay >:{

Also keep in mind.... the layout of you fuse box may be different from many of the videos on the issue, depending on your vehicle and year. I've figured mine out but be advised. May upload a crappy video of my '14 just for reference lol

·
Registered
1 Posts
2011 Grand Cherokee 3.0 CDI (registered to post here for your benefit)

I can confirm that the "Fuel Pump Relay Recall Fix" is the issue on our GC - we had the recall done as a preventative measure, and surprise surprise, our failure was the actual "recall" relay rather than the factory fitted relay.

Symptoms, regularity & history:
  1. 12-24 months: Stall straight after start, rare initially, increasing to 2-3 times per week
  2. ~3 months: Long crank without starting, 2-3 times per week initially, increasing to 2-3 times every day
  3. ~2 weeks: Engine cuts out while driving, has happened twice
FYI: If you have had the recall applied to your jeep and suffer the same symptoms, I found there is another relay mounted closer to the firewall that is compatible with the Recall Relay (at least my car has it), and you can simply swap these over to get you going again. It's attached to the Bosch relay block adjacent to the strut mount.

Thoughts: this is an appalling situation and solution from FCA, no more than a band-aid patch up job that risks stranding vehicles and occupants in life threatening situations.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts