Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Didn't see any threads on this. Is there an option that will either last more than 30k, give me more Mpg or more hp?

·
Long Live the Grey Ghosts
13,492 Posts
am guessing not much has changed in the hemi form the WK, and on the WK running anything but BONE STOCK COPPER CHAMPIONS threw codes and ran like crap.

stick with the OEM plugs and intervals./

·
Registered
93 Posts
Didn't see any threads on this. Is there an option that will either last more than 30k, give me more Mpg or more hp?
Say what?

I'm an old Ford guy so I've never owned a Chrysler Prod., much less anything with a HEMI. But I just ordered my WK2 on Dec 31st.

But the HEMI needs new plugs at 30k? Is this right? Why?

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They aren't iridium or platinum, coppers need changed at 30k. Plus there are 16 of them at $4.50 each.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I was shocked when I read in the owners manual about changing every 30K miles!

·
Premium Member
2012 JGC SRT8
1,544 Posts
I paid $42.00 for 16 plugs. Changed them myself. Pretty easy, and I am no mechanic
EXACTLY, it's simple and easy and you should be able to find the copper plugs for ~$2.00 each * 16 = $32

Oh, BTW, in a stock motor NO spark plug will give you more power or more fuel economy so the ONLY reason would be for extended life. BUT, if you get 3 times the service but the plugs cost 3 times as much your even.

A quick search on the net seems to show that many have used the platinum's on Dodge 5.7's without issue and that should push the interval to 100K. They also say to stay away from iridium (thin wire).

·
Registered
20 Posts
Any new updates? I'm approaching 30k on my 11' JGC 5.7 and wanted to know anyone have any good or bad feedback with any specific plugs.

Thanks,
Jason

·
Registered
2011 Grand Cherokee
54 Posts
Any new updates? I'm approaching 30k on my 11' JGC 5.7 and wanted to know anyone have any good or bad feedback with any specific plugs.

Thanks,
Jason

I decided to try the Champion Iridium 9055 plugs and will be installing them over the weekend. Stay tuned...

·
Registered
2011 Grand Cherokee
54 Posts
I changed plugs today using the Champion 9055 Iridium plugs. I'm happy to report no issues at this point and the HEMI runs nice and smooth. I've only put a few miles on so time will tell if there are problems down the road (pun intended), but at least there have not been any error codes, etc.

The job itself is not too difficult, and took me about 1.5 hours to complete. I took my time and double checked the plug gaps following recommended torque values and used anti-seize on the threads. I had no major clearance or access issues but then I no longer have the factory air box and such as those were removed when I installed the Volant CAI.

The set of 16 plugs cost just under $100.00 from Amazon. Overall, I think this is a simple do-it-yourself project that will save some $$$ and provide a sense of satisfaction for anyone choosing to take this on.

Just my $0.02 worth...

·
Registered
Jeep Grand Cherokee
74 Posts
I was at a car show this week and saw a challenger 5.7 with the engine cover off and the dude had a full msd wiring kit under the hood ( as in the electrical packs on the valve covers) i just thought it looked sick and im not sure of the value of changing the electrical system lol but just wanted to share

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
I changed plugs today using the Champion 9055 Iridium plugs. I'm happy to report no issues at this point and the HEMI runs nice and smooth. I've only put a few miles on so time will tell if there are problems down the road (pun intended), but at least there have not been any error codes, etc.

The job itself is not too difficult, and took me about 1.5 hours to complete. I took my time and double checked the plug gaps following recommended torque values and used anti-seize on the threads. I had no major clearance or access issues but then I no longer have the factory air box and such as those were removed when I installed the Volant CAI.

The set of 16 plugs cost just under $100.00 from Amazon. Overall, I think this is a simple do-it-yourself project that will save some $$$ and provide a sense of satisfaction for anyone choosing to take this on.

Just my $0.02 worth...

Only use OEM Copper plugs, as was recommended to you. The Iridiums cost twice as much, but in fact the Hemi will run worse with Iridiums, and it is also likely you will have problems and will have to remove them.

Copper spark plugs have the best performance of any spark plug type. The other metals are, unfortunately, not as conductive as copper is. Platinum and iridium plugs are more likely to overheat, which causes damage to the plug components and can compromise the delivery of the spark to the engine block.

Platinum and Iridium plugs perform at a lower level than copper spark plugs, because they are less conductive and they tend to overheat. However, the overall longevity of these two types of metal is better than copper plugs. In reality, copper has the best performance of all three and the worst longevity. Platinum has good longevity and the worst performance. Iridium has good longevity and a performance that is decent, which is why iridium plugs tend to be more expensive than any other type. Still, the difference between these plugs in terms of overall quality is minimal, as there is a trade off for each.
Most copper plugs need to be changed every 20 to 30k miles or so. Platinum and iridium plugs can often go for twice that before they require changing, but the overall performance will not be as good and you may have to deal with overheating of the plugs.

my .02

·
Registered
GC Overland Hemi 4x4
4 Posts
My '12 Overland mileage was around 29,500 so I got everything together for the plug change. By the way it's a 4x4 hemi. The first one on the front passenger side went easy because I think I had it off about 6 months ago just to check its condition. Well the next 15 had to have been installed by an alien robot. They wouldn't budge. I more or less demonstrated to the remaining 15 who was boss. I got a 5' aluminum pipe on my socket handle and cracked each one open. They had to have been installed at the factory with about 30-40 pounds or more of torque and each plug bone dry threads.
Is this how their building them now? They must want their dealer mechanics to do the job for $400.00. I did it for $64 and the car runs like a top.

·
Registered
Summit
58 Posts
I completed the spark plug change on my 2011 Hemi last weekend.
I purchased a set of the NGK Cooper plugs for $65 and it was an easy change for the most part.

I purchased my 2011 used with about 75,000 miles on it and had noticed some rough transitions when going to ECO mode. Since I bought it used I wanted to make sure I had a good baseline on the maintenance. I changed the oil the first week I had it, supper easy compared to my last vehicle, changed and topped off other fluids.

At 81,000 miles I received the plugs and picked a Saturday morning to do the change, overnight cool down. The spark plug change started out tough, the eight on the passenger side were very tight. not sure if they were put into tight or if there a little bit of corrosion. The ones on the drivers side came out easily, hardly any torque needed to remove them.

I usually wouldn't put anti-seize on the plugs but I did this time. My torque wrench didn't like the 13 in-lb setting and I didn't trust it. So I pulled them all out, applied the anti-seize and reinstalled them to a 1/16 of a turn greater than hand tight.

She now runs like a charm and I am not feeling the roughness when switching to ECO mode.

·
Registered
Summit
58 Posts
I was at a car show this week and saw a challenger 5.7 with the engine cover off and the dude had a full msd wiring kit under the hood ( as in the electrical packs on the valve covers) i just thought it looked sick and im not sure of the value of changing the electrical system lol but just wanted to share
I've been wondering the same thing with the Hemi. Would the Hemi benefit from the use of a MSD or other high energy coil pack and ignition system?

1 - 20 of 65 Posts