Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to wrap this gold trim on the door panels but I think it's glued on the back at the top? Removed entire door panel and the wood grain section but left with this piece. Wondering if anyone has successfully removed it and replaced it? If not I could wrap it as is I just know it would last longer if I could get around the top part.
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Automotive design Car

·
Registered
2015 JGC Altitude
28 Posts
I've wrapped the door handle trim a few times, and only the front two are able to be taken off cleanly. The rear ones do not come off. In my opinion, wrapping thee door handles are the hardest thing to wrap on the Jeep. really need to take your time and stretch the middle so that you have enough slack to get the wrap to wrap behind the trim. In my opinion, i would even add some superglue to the inside part to get the extra confidence that it will stick. ive wrapped these perfectly before and somehow they still managed to lift after a month of two (used Vvivid wrap). Worst thing in the world is to have to take the damn door apart to re-wrap, so make sure you dont rush it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've wrapped the door handle trim a few times, and only the front two are able to be taken off cleanly. The rear ones do not come off. In my opinion, wrapping thee door handles are the hardest thing to wrap on the Jeep. really need to take your time and stretch the middle so that you have enough slack to get the wrap to wrap behind the trim. In my opinion, i would even add some superglue to the inside part to get the extra confidence that it will stick. ive wrapped these perfectly before and somehow they still managed to lift after a month of two (used Vvivid wrap). Worst thing in the world is to have to take the damn door apart to re-wrap, so make sure you dont rush it.
The glue is a good idea but i'd be scared it wouldn't come off in case I need to remove down the road. I have been taking my time with it though, one handle has taken me 2+ hours. I don't see how you could remove it though it looks like it's glued on the back?

·
Registered
461 Posts
I did mine in situ. Not ideal but can’t tell & not lifted so I’m happy with them. Stripped all the other bits of trim without issues then lost interest when I saw that the speaker rings are bonded so didn’t bother taking handles off either. Mines been on a few months & been up to 37c here so Jeep has been parked up in the heat. 3m wrap vinyl, brushed effect

·
Registered
2015 JGC Altitude
28 Posts
I only used superglue because I wrapped them in the black steel color, which is the color of the rest of my interior trim..so I knew I was never gonna completely rewrap everything. I knew from the first time though the back were never going to pop off and they were probably not going to look as good as the front two. I did however just order a 4 piece door panel trim on eBay..plan to wrap that and hopefully be able to flush that against the trim..only reason why I’m doing that though is because a piece of the top part started to lift and I refuse to spend the time completely rewrapping that piece.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Fair enough. It’s black steel I went for too! Makes interior far nicer place to be than the hideous gold. Yeah makes sense. The trim bits I ordered on eBay didn’t sit flush on mine but think it’s cos the idiots listed them wrong so speaker grills were for vehicles that didn’t have the factory surrounds

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I only used superglue because I wrapped them in the black steel color, which is the color of the rest of my interior trim..so I knew I was never gonna completely rewrap everything. I knew from the first time though the back were never going to pop off and they were probably not going to look as good as the front two. I did however just order a 4 piece door panel trim on eBay..plan to wrap that and hopefully be able to flush that against the trim..only reason why I’m doing that though is because a piece of the top part started to lift and I refuse to spend the time completely rewrapping that piece.
how were you able to get the front two off? mine are glued on the back

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am trying to wrap this gold trim on the door panels but I think it's glued on the back at the top? Removed entire door panel and the wood grain section but left with this piece. Wondering if anyone has successfully removed it and replaced it? If not I could wrap it as is I just know it would last longer if I could get around the top part. View attachment 243990
Hello, do you by chance have anymore pictures of this? Like the back side? It could be plastic welded in and if so I could take it out paint it and weld it back in.

·
Registered
461 Posts
If you look at ones for sale on ebay, there are plenty of pictures of the rear that may be helpful. It appears to be a plastic rivet that is then melted flat so I see no reason why you couldn't heat up or grind the rear off then re plastic weld into position.

Have a look here...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts