Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone has done this combination successfully on their WK2.

What spring combination did you use?
Did you set the struts to the lowest setting?
What's the rake like (is there any!?).

Ideally I know you should install OME's shocks but my 5100s are perfectly serviceable and I want to keep them if possible. Trying to avoid making an expensive mistake. :eek:

TIA!

·
Registered
234 Posts
I haven't found anyone with a WK2 that has mated their 5100 struts with aftermarket springs, unfortunately. I'm also interested in this as I want more lift than I currently have with my 5100s set at 1.75 and two RRO trim packers stacked up. Looking at the WK and Toyota Tacoma forums, its fairly common for them to use the 5100s with various aftermarket springs for additional height. The struts seem to use the same C clip as ours so I would think that the struts could handle the additional load, but...

I was personally interested in the 1.6 inch Dobinson springs, as I'm currently running Dobinson springs out back with 5100 shocks.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was personally interested in the 1.6 inch Dobinson springs, as I'm currently running Dobinson springs out back with 5100 shocks.
Stock springs up front and Dobinsons out back? Hmmm, I'd be wary of mixing springs like that - how's the ride?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Good question, as I have been trying to see if this was feasible as well. So far, I have only the 1.75" RRO leveling kit with 275/65r18 0 offset and had to do a pinch weld folding mod as well as trim some of the fender flares. From what I'm reading, people have used the eibach springs with the 5100 so I don't see why OME would not be possible, however, I hear that the OME springs are tough as nails and a lot of shops will have trouble compressing them to install.

I had initially planned to do the .75" TJ spacers but ultimately decided to do it once and do it right so purchased OME rear shocks and 2" springs. For the front I plan to add the bilstein 5100 set at 1.25" to add a total of 2.5" to the front with the RRO leveling kit still stacked, so that may be an option.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Stock springs up front and Dobinsons out back? Hmmm, I'd be wary of mixing springs like that - how's the ride?
The ride is fine, if a tad soft. I don't think its an issue having different manufacturer springs front and rear. Its a 5000lb SUV, not a sports car where it would be important to match up the spring rates to maximize handling.

Dobinson states that their strut / spring combo meant for the V8s will provide a true 3 inch lift up front on a V6, but I would prefer to keep my Bilsteins.

My front end sits too low and I'm almost considering just replacing my front springs with a Mopar set intended for the V8 and / or diesel hoping that I might get a little boost over my stock V6 springs, which seem to be sagging.

Reactions: Whitie

·
Registered
234 Posts
I've been doing as much research as I can on this as I really want to move forward with adding aftermarket springs to my 5100s. I found an old Facebook post from a guy who added OME springs to the 5100s back in February 2017.

Info and pic below.

OME springs, Bilstein 5100's all around and set for .7" front lift and a 10mm rear spring spacer on 33's.
Updated with info
Fronts:
Shocks = Bilstein 5100 # bil-24-225434
Set to 2nd notch from the bottom approx .7" lift
Springs = ARB Old Man Emu # ARB-3070 no bar/no winch
Rear:
Shocks = Bilstein 5100 # bil-24-225441
Springs = ARB Old Man Emu # ARB-3074 medium duty
Spring spacer = Whiteline 10mm TJ front spring pad bushing (I'm going to change this, the diameter is smaller than the factory wk2 bushing)
Wheel spacer = Bora 1.5"
Tires = BFG KO2 275/60/20

16939514_10208508778017551_8548718516103540843_n.jpg

I FB messaged him about any potential issues that he has had over the last year and he responded that he's had only had issues with the factory sway bar links and moving to the BWoody extended links resolved it.

I messaged him again to see if he is still running the factory UCAs and how his axles are holding up.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I've been doing as much research as I can on this as I really want to move forward with adding aftermarket springs to my 5100s. I found an old Facebook post from a guy who added OME springs to the 5100s back in February 2017.

Info and pic below.

OME springs, Bilstein 5100's all around and set for .7" front lift and a 10mm rear spring spacer on 33's.
Updated with info
Fronts:
Shocks = Bilstein 5100 # bil-24-225434
Set to 2nd notch from the bottom approx .7" lift
Springs = ARB Old Man Emu # ARB-3070 no bar/no winch
Rear:
Shocks = Bilstein 5100 # bil-24-225441
Springs = ARB Old Man Emu # ARB-3074 medium duty
Spring spacer = Whiteline 10mm TJ front spring pad bushing (I'm going to change this, the diameter is smaller than the factory wk2 bushing)
Wheel spacer = Bora 1.5"
Tires = BFG KO2 275/60/20

View attachment 176522

I FB messaged him about any potential issues that he has had over the last year and he responded that he's had only had issues with the factory sway bar links and moving to the BWoody extended links resolved it.

I messaged him again to see if he is still running the factory UCAs and how his axles are holding up.
That stance looks great. in regards to the rear spring spacers, what is everyone suggesting? Right now I have purchased the OME rear spring/shock which raises it 2" , I might want to add another 1" spacer lift using the RRO lift/level rear kit

·
Registered
234 Posts
I don't think you really need the extra rear spacer, especially if you want it to look somewhat level. Remember stock the WK2 is 1.75 inches higher in the rear. If both springs give a 2 inch lift, even with the 5100s set at .8 lift the rear will still be almost an inch higher. I think going with a HD spring for extra lift in the back would be better than doing a poly spacer. I say do the springs and if you really want more out back, add a spacer. The rear springs are fairly easy compared to doing the struts. In the pic above the original poster stated that the rear was 2 inches higher than the front. The pic looks good, but I would bet at other angles the rear is really noticeable higher in the front.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I don't think you really need the extra rear spacer, especially if you want it to look somewhat level. Remember stock the WK2 is 1.75 inches higher in the rear. If both springs give a 2 inch lift, even with the 5100s set at .8 lift the rear will still be almost an inch higher. I think going with a HD spring for extra lift in the back would be better than doing a poly spacer. I say do the springs and if you really want more out back, add a spacer. The rear springs are fairly easy compared to doing the struts. In the pic above the original poster stated that the rear was 2 inches higher than the front. The pic looks good, but I would bet at other angles the rear is really noticeable higher in the front.
Thanks for the suggestion. That's a good idea to wait and see after everything goes in since the coil spacers are relatively easy to do. I am thinking of doing Dobinsons 3" front coil/shocks and keep the OME 2" rears. Hopefully that will look level enough.

·
Registered
2014 GC Limited 4X4
1,849 Posts
Came across this and figured I would add for anyone else looking. I'm running the 5100's w/ OME MD coils. Stock 33 Front/ 35 Rear Middle tire ground to fender, now 36.5 F/R w/ Cooper 32's on 17's. I'll be adding a .5 or .75 rear spacer as I want the slight rake put back in, just haven't decided what size yet.

0Lifted 321.jpg
0 Cargo Rack Driver.jpg
0 Cargo Rack Passenger.jpg

·
Registered
56 Posts
Came across this and figured I would add for anyone else looking. I'm running the 5100's w/ OME MD coils. Stock 33 Front/ 35 Rear Middle tire ground to fender, now 36.5 F/R w/ Cooper 32's on 17's. I'll be adding a .5 or .75 rear spacer as I want the slight rake put back in, just haven't decided what size yet.

View attachment 229563 View attachment 229564 View attachment 229565
Do you happen to remember what height setting you have the front Bilsteins set to? Jeep looks great BTW.

·
Registered
2014 GC Limited 4X4
1,849 Posts
Thank you!! Lowest setting .4. I dont want to push my suspension or drivetrain like others. I might throw a .5 or .75 JK spacer in rear to get some of the rake back. I'm not fond of the level look.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Thank you!! Lowest setting .4. I dont want to push my suspension or drivetrain like others. I might throw a .5 or .75 JK spacer in rear to get some of the rake back. I'm not fond of the level look.
Same in regards to not wanting to stress the suspension angles too much. I have had the Bilsteins with the OEM/Mopar springs on for awhile now. The stock height and a slightly larger tire has worked fine for most of what we do on forest service roads and rutted out trails here in the southeast. That said, both of the couples we usually travel with have body on frame vehicles (4Runner and GX470) and it would be nice to have just a bit more peace of mind when we are all out exploring together. I also usually haul the offroad trailer with all the of the comforts of home they can't fit, so they aren't going to leave me behind...... but not having to wuss out because I don't have enough ground clearance to get over a pebble would be nice. OME springs are here, just need to devote a day this weekend to get everything set up. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
2014 GC Limited 4X4
1,849 Posts
Ride great!! I went MD coils since I have the 3.6. Are you setting the lowest or 1 step up w/ rear spacer?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts