Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After my second visit to the dealer for a shaky steering wheel and vibration in the seat at highway speeds they replaced all four wheels/tires from a new grand cherokee on the lot. Searching the forums the last thing I came up with is from 2011-2012 with people having issues with these tires. Anyone else having vibrations on their 14' grand cherokee with 20's?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a 2012 with 20s and have had the vibration for a while, all at highway speeds. Took it to the dealer, a tire shop, Goodyear center, and back to dealer. No one fixed it. Dealer finally said the tires were bad but not covered under warranty. They said I had to take it up with Goodyear. I'm getting desperate but don't feel like getting another set of forteras through GY warranty process.

Nikon, just curious, did changing the wheels and tires solve your problem? I think its crazy to buy new tires after only 20k miles but I can't take it anymore.

·
The "REAL" JeepGarage Founder
1,379 Posts
I loved the set that came on mine after expecting the worse. Ride really smooth for a 50 series tire on a SUV. Since the tires aren't cupped, chopped, or abnormally worn I'd tell them to pull them and check the balance. It's not rocket science and they should be able to diagnose the issue quickly.

·
Registered
617 Posts
I personally hated them. Felt bouncy and unstable taking corners. Felt unconnected to the road.

·
Registered
2015 MB C300 Sport
1,191 Posts
I remember feeling a slight vibration in the steering wheel at highway speeds...ever so slight...comes and goes it seems, nothing I can't live with for now. Makes me think it's the crappy GoodYear tires.

Never been a fan of $h!ty over-priced Goodyear tires, hated them ever since the "Skaterbacks" came out in the 80's.

Michelin tires are the best you can buy...period.

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry wasn't clear, yes the new wheels tires seemed to fix the vibration. Granted I've only put about 10 miles on them so far. The factory tires did balance ok and we're around 7 lbs on the road force yet I still had the shake. Not sure what's going on with them. Oh and I only have 1000 miles on my jeep.

·
Administrator
11,231 Posts
I've never had any vibration like you describe...16K miles in at this point.

·
Registered
100 Posts
They were OK---nothing bad to complain about but I kept them for only 2,300 miles before tossing them for my Toyos. I did not want to expereince that Badyear feeling when weather gets dicey. Toyos felt solid and secure.

·
Premium Member
4,989 Posts
The Fortera is the cheapest tire in that Series. The Durango I have has a decent shake in the wheel with 20's and the exact same tire. I have had them on 2 other vehicles and they are very hit and miss. Some have been fine but a lot of them have not been great.

Just today I worked out a deal with the parts department at the dealer to give me a credit for the Forteras from the Factory and put the Michelin Latitudes on for me. Vehicle hasn't even been built yet but I know I didn't want the Goodyears.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I had the same vibration issue on my 2011 Limited and it started right around 20k miles. Switched them out for a new set of Forteras and had the exact same issue at about 23k miles. Needless to say if it happens again on my 2014 Overland, I will NOT buy Forteras again.:mad:

·
Registered
10 Posts
I am also having vibration problems with the 20's on my 2014 Overland. I start to feel it around 60 MPH and it seems to get worse as you speed up past that. I have had it to two different dealers and each has said they feel the vibration and that they fixed it with a road force balance, but it's still not gone. I'm starting to get pretty frustrated with it.

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I am also having vibration problems with the 20's on my 2014 Overland. I start to feel it around 60 MPH and it seems to get worse as you speed up past that. I have had it to two different dealers and each has said they feel the vibration and that they fixed it with a road force balance, but it's still not gone. I'm starting to get pretty frustrated with it.
Insist on new tires. Only thing that worked for me.

·
Registered
2014 Overland
332 Posts
Just bought a 2014 overland haven't felt any vibrations as of yet getting close to 500 miles on her. I've actually been impressed with ride quality smooth low noise and handles ok for a heavy suv. I just came from a 2008 nissan pathfinder with Dueler A/T Revo 2 entirely different tire so that may be the reason for my opinions. If i do start feeling the vibration first thing I'm going to do is take it to my tire shop not the dealer I looked at the wheels and they have so many weights on them it's crazy. I'll have the tire shop remount and balance and see where that goes if that doesn't help what tires would you guys suggest for a replacement tire? I would need them to perform well on all surfaces and snow. For the people with the vibration are you feeling it vibrate in the steering wheel or does the jeep vibrate all together?

·
Registered
228 Posts
I have 6500 mile on my 14 GC Limited. I am still very happy with the ride on the 20".
I have experienced no vibration or harshness. The ride is equal to my last vehicle, which I gave to the wife when I bought the GC.
A 2012 Mercedes C300 with the AMG wheel and tire package.

·
Registered
2014 Summit 5.7
3,920 Posts
These Goodyear Forteras are noisy, shaky terrible cheap tires. Same exact noise and shaking on the last new car I bought, it had Goodyear RS-As on it another terrible Goodyear tire. Put a set of Michelins on it and it was smooth as glass after that never had to rebalance them once. Have not decided what to do with these Forteras yet they are only like $120 each so not such a big loss to toss them in the trash and put Bridgestones or Michellins on. The $120 each there lies the reason that Jeep uses them. I would have gladly paid a few hundred more for the Jeep to have the option for some decent tires on it.

·
Registered
Overland
87 Posts
Without question these are the worst tires I've ever had. First experience was a few years ago when I bought a set for my daughter's 2005 Grand Cherokee. They peeled at the sidewalls with white letters out, they were major mushy and bouncy and were pitiful when it came to wear. Actually that was good for an excuse to get rid of them. Alas, my 2011 Overland arrives with these blow up rubber doughnuts on the 20 inch rims. I hate these about as much as the others. I went up on a curb to park one day and caught a bit of a sharp corner-at 1 mph. Next day at a stop sign the tire light goes on and the right rear tire proceeded to go flat in about 30 seconds. There were no puncture marks of any kind but internally they were thin enough that it broke the tread wall inside. Dear God-please give me some Michelins. I've always loved the LTX M&S (II)-unfortunately I do not believe those come in our size. Old Firestones did better than these things.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Granted I have just under 700 miles on my Forteras, but I couldn't be happier. I've had all sorts of cars of different shapes, sizes, and capabilities and I have to say the Jeep rides better than most of them. I hope my tires don't crap out on me as quickly as every else seems to be experiencing.

Tony

·
Registered
100 Posts
Remember that the $120/tire is retail. Jeep gets them for probably $40 each. You can get them for $40/tire too if you commit to a 4 year contract for 400,000 tires per year!

Sometimes it reminds me of an old army saying...."Your equipment was furnished by the lowest bidder."

Michelin MS/2 are available...in 275/55/20. They fit but you also need to change the spare to 265/70/18, I believe.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.