Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
thinking of getting the 18" spoke jk sahara rims but would like to see one with them first, anyone have them?

·
Registered
181 Posts
I had an older set of Sahara take-offs on my 2012 for about 6 months. These might not be the ones you're talking about, but I figure someone else might be interested in seeing this if these aren't what you're looking for. I picked up a set of 5 w/ the tires @ about 30% tread for $300 off craigslist.

Attachments

·
Registered
2014 GC Overland
4 Posts
I just did this about a month ago on my 2014 WK2 Overland (v6).

I went down from the stock 20's to Sahara 18's, off a 2012 I believe.

I'm running BFG KO2's 255/70R18. They BARELY clear, but they clear. Park mode is very close if not rubbing, so I don't put it down that low.

I bought them on Craigslist for $350 for 5 wheels and tires. Tires were bald (still were the stock Sahara tires), except for the spare which was still new.

Only issue I'm having is the TPMS sensors stop reading at high speeds. I bought Dorman part # 974-043. I'm still trying to figure that one out.

These KO2's can take a lot of pressure (65psi), but I also read that Jeep set a PSI range for the sensors. I can't figure out what the max PSI limit is so right now they are set at a weak 36psi. If anyone knows please share!

Attachments

·
Registered
231 Posts
I just picked up a used set of Sahara wheels off Craigslist to eventually replace the stock 20 inch Altitude wheels. In the year and a half I've had my Altitude I've gone 'mudding' a dozen times or so and with the rocks that are always in the mud my wheels are scratched to hell. I wanted a little more rubber between the wheels and the road, and I got a great deal on these. I plan on powder coating the Sahara wheels with a textured flat black on the outer raised lip and gloss black on everything else.

End result should look something like this: jk sahara wheels - Bing images

The wheels came with TPMS sensors, but don't know if I'll try to use those and hope they still work, try to use the ones from my 20s, or just buy new.

I also don't know if the lug nuts I have now will work or if I should use them. I have the Gorilla black 'bulge' style lug nuts and they don't seem to fit all the way down in the Sahara wheels and kind of stick out. They both use the same 60 angle on the seat, so they should work okay.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Installed a set of 18" non spoke Sahara wheels on me 2014 WK2 diesel. They came very close to the brake calipers in the front. So close that I added 1/4" spacers just to be safe.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Since we finally got a break from the cold weather I test fit the five hole, 18 inch Sahara wheels on my 2015 Altitude today. It appears they will rub the brake caliper bracket. Not much but they do hit. One could certainly just trim the bracket down a little, but I'll probably go with spacers instead. Figured I would update the thread.

12743599_10207207046227952_2648678408999666576_n.jpg

1656121_10207207044067898_270541043218283899_n.jpg

·
Registered
A4 b6, wifey s40
218 Posts
Got the JK wheels with TPMS

Love it but vibrates at 65-70 mph which, needs take some balancing job... then TPMS warning showed up... researched and found out the TPMS are designed for 08 JK... looks like have to order new TPMS and install.

·
Registered
449 Posts
'14 Overland with '16 Sahara rims. No interference at all. They fit just fine.

Now I just have to put some BFG KO2 or GY Duratrac on them, and I'll be set.

Attachments

·
Registered
231 Posts
'14 Overland with '16 Sahara rims. No interference at all. They fit just fine.

Now I just have to put some BFG KO2 or GY Duratrac on them, and I'll be set.
Can you post a pic showing how close your caliper bracket is to the wheel? As I've shown in the pic above, mine did rub. I can't imagine that your WK2 and mine would be that different. I ended up mounting the wheels with 275 65 18 Duratracs and 1.25 inch BORA spacers. The tires do rub so I'm having some 5mm spacers made up to bring the tires back in.

20160522_110915.jpg

·
Registered
62 Posts
Can you post a pic showing how close your caliper bracket is to the wheel? As I've shown in the pic above, mine did rub. I can't imagine that your WK2 and mine would be that different. I ended up mounting the wheels with 275 65 18 Duratracs and 1.25 inch BORA spacers. The tires do rub so I'm having some 5mm spacers made up to bring the tires back in.

View attachment 68950
Your Jeep looks great! What tow hooks are those?

·
Registered
449 Posts

View attachment 68950
When I put them back on, absolutely. I took them off for the time being, because the guy I got them from took the sensors out to use on his new rims/tires. It drives me nuts having the TPMS light on so I took them back off until I get sensors and tires mounted on them. Should be soon though, just gotta find the best price on tires.

Until then I'll attach the closest shot I've got of the brakes. When I put them back on I'll get a better angle so you can see the gap. FWIW, it's about 1-2mm gap which is about half the gap of the stock rims (I'm looking at about 1/32" - 1/16" rather than roughly 3/32").
The overall diameter allows plenty of room. The closeness is only due to the contour of the back face of the rim.

Attachments

·
Registered
449 Posts
Regarding tires. I'll be using a 255/70/18, which is the same as the tires that are on them now. No rub that I've found, on any setting of the suspension (even in aero). I'm just switching the tires because I want a more aggressive tread, and I have to dismount the current tires to install the sensors anyway. So I'll be going with Duratracs or BFG, and selling the Bridgestones (that are basically new).

·
Registered
449 Posts
Can you post a pic showing how close your caliper bracket is to the wheel?.....
Here you go. I used my phone so I could kinda stick it into the gap. Came out pretty good actually. I've attached the unedited version, and a brightened version so you can see the gap a little easier. Just ignore the filth on the rims, they got pretty dusty at the tire shop.
Like I said, it's not much, but they clear.

And in case any of you are wonder, yes the jack tray can be made to fit. I just took the blade of my hacksaw, and trimmed it down. I took 1" off the bottom (high end only), and shaved the larger portion off the edge. It sits nice and snug like it used to in the stock spare, and my floor still closes without any interference. I'll post photos of the tray too.

And just for grins a shot of the new BFG's on the Sahara rims.

Attachments

·
Registered
168 Posts
I had an older set of Sahara take-offs on my 2012 for about 6 months. These might not be the ones you're talking about, but I figure someone else might be interested in seeing this if these aren't what you're looking for. I picked up a set of 5 w/ the tires @ about 30% tread for $300 off craigslist.
Why did you take them back off?

·
Registered
449 Posts
When doing this swap, do the Oem jk tpms work? Any other gotchas?

Thx
They should fit. According to Schrader International 11-15 Grand Cherokee, and 13-15 Wrangler use the same part number TPMS (433 mhZ). Other years may be compatible, but those were what I came up with when swapping my rims/tires.

On a side note, if the seller has removed their sensors, or they are not compatible across the years you are buying from, you can order all 4 sensors from Amazon for around $50 (a little less actually). That's total, not each. They took about a week and a half to arrive in Ohio, because they were coming from Alaska, but I got 4 for what the local dealer and tire shop wanted to charge for each sensor.
Just search Amazon for part number 56029398AB. This is the stock replacement part for our sensors. Here's a link to the set I bought → TPMS for WK2

1 - 20 of 56 Posts