Registered
398 Posts
ImageUploadedByJeepGarage1501065499.087677.jpg

I don't run them daily - but keep a set of 'hiking shoes' on Sahara wheels

Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage

·
Registered
194 Posts
For those of you that have installed 255/70r18 on your WK2, was there a noticeable loss of power/acceleration? I'm thinking of getting a set of Sahara takeoffs, but I'm worried they will kill the power. My WK2 is a 2011 3.6.

·
Registered
2016 WK2 75th
3 Posts
Bought these in Virginia for $600, 2017 Sahara wheels and tires, before moving to Alaska. Trying to keep the 75th rims nice. Heard that rubbing the brake calipers are a hit and miss with the WK2. Mine is a 2016. The front left rubbed a tad, I shaved it with a file (last pic), took 20 secs. Right side was fine. This is definitely worth it. The Ecopia tires didn't look like they were going to cut it. Reviews have the Dueler A/T pretty good in the snow, which we get a lot here. And they're bigger! 255/70/18

Attachments

·
Registered
2014 Summit 5.7 4wd 20" tires swapped to 18", added all skid plates
1,460 Posts
Bought these in Virginia for $600, 2017 Sahara wheels and tires, before moving to Alaska. Trying to keep the 75th rims nice. Heard that rubbing the brake calipers are a hit and miss with the WK2. Mine is a 2016. The front left rubbed a tad, I shaved it with a file (last pic), took 20 secs. Right side was fine. This is definitely worth it. The Ecopia tires didn't look like they were going to cut it. Reviews have the Dueler A/T pretty good in the snow, which we get a lot here. And they're bigger! 255/70/18
Have you noticed any change in performance as far as get up and go with those bigger tires?

·
Registered
2016 WK2 75th
3 Posts
A tad. They are noisier too. Definitely rides like you're on more rubber. I was averaging 20 mph here where you rarely get above 55 for very long. So there's no hwy mile to speak of. I'll post what it is after i finish this tank.

They look great on the Jeep though. Fills out the wheel well much better. Unfortunately the TPMSs I got are not working. It took a whole day before they came up as not registering. Doesn't look like there is much I can do. I'll ask the dealer next time I'm there. Only problem is the warning comes up after starting the car and the low tire pressure light stays on.

·
Registered
GC Limited
337 Posts
I have been reading through these Sahara wheel threads a lot recently. I'd like to buy another set of rims to put winter tires on. From what I gather here and what I see on Craigslist, there are 2 styles of Sahara wheels. One style is referred to as the straight spoke, where the spokes are rectangular from rim to hub. The other is a different design, with a circular hole in the spokes.

Being that I have HD brakes, I have read that some reported that the rims hit the caliper, but not all; particularly with the circular hole. I have concluded that the safer bet for HD brakes are the straight spokes. I have seen reports of no issues with this style.

Another issue are the TPMS's. I know that there are 2 frequencies used by Jeep. I bought a set of wheels yesterday for $200. I was told they are off a ~'12 JK, not exactly sure. I was told that the TPMS's were working when last used.

My questions are:
1. Should I replace them immediately, or try to see if they work?
2. Is TPMS operated by a battery?
3. Will the same TPMS fit into my current 18" rims and the older JK rims?
4. Are the frequencies the same for a ~'12 JK and a '15 WK2?

Any insight would be helpful.

Winter tire selection is another matter/thread.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I would also like to know if anyone has experience with a better fit with the straight spoke vs the ones with a circle as noted above. I am looking for used rims to mount winter tires on to use on my new 17 JGC.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I put the circle hole wheels on my '14 diesel. Cleared the brakes but was so close I installed 1/4 inch spacers. As for the TPMS, I put new ones in just to be sure the batteries were fresh for the long haul.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just did this on my 2014 4x4 Limited GC (put stock JK wheels on a WK2). I found some 18" stock Wrangler Altitude wheels and put them on my BFG KO2's. My tires are same size as stock (until I get the leveling kit). I felt like not many people had done this other than the few mentioned on this thread, so I wanted to share some pics for those curious in doing the same...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know this thread is a bit old, but maybe I can shed a little light on the "will they fit the caliper or not" question.

Due to the thread I went out and got a set of Sahara wheels and tires last weekend. They look great. I'm super happy about 'em, so thanks y'all for that.

On to the caliper question, it's going to be related to how much wear you have on your brake pads. Follow me on this one, as I ran into the same issue on my '05 with 2" lift on Rubicon wheels many, many moons ago.

They fit and worked just fine for while until I replaced my brake pads. Then I had to get wheel spacers. It's always fun to have to remove your brand new pads and put the old ones back on after finding out the wheels no longer fit. Hope that helps a bit.

Anyway, my 2014 at 107,000:

I'm going to have to get the wheel spacers when I replace the pads on this one.

Secondly, the stock tire pressure sensors from the old wheels work just fine on the new wheels.

I would have replaced them at this mileage, but on my old WK it was still running the original sensors at 325,000 miles so I saw no need to proactively replace these yet.

I'll add that if you start looking at going at this route I would be aware of the age of the tire on the wheel. Running 6 year old tires, even with good tread life left can be sketchy.

Take care of yourselves during this nutty time.

·
Quadra-Drive II
2014 Limited
693 Posts
I know this thread is a bit old, but maybe I can shed a little light on the "will they fit the caliper or not" question.

Due to the thread I went out and got a set of Sahara wheels and tires last weekend. They look great. I'm super happy about 'em, so thanks y'all for that.

On to the caliper question, it's going to be related to how much wear you have on your brake pads. Follow me on this one, as I ran into the same issue on my '05 with 2" lift on Rubicon wheels many, many moons ago.

They fit and worked just fine for while until I replaced my brake pads. Then I had to get wheel spacers. It's always fun to have to remove your brand new pads and put the old ones back on after finding out the wheels no longer fit. Hope that helps a bit.

Anyway, my 2014 at 107,000:

View attachment 222942

I'm going to have to get the wheel spacers when I replace the pads on this one.

Secondly, the stock tire pressure sensors from the old wheels work just fine on the new wheels.

I would have replaced them at this mileage, but on my old WK it was still running the original sensors at 325,000 miles so I saw no need to proactively replace these yet.

I'll add that if you start looking at going at this route I would be aware of the age of the tire on the wheel. Running 6 year old tires, even with good tread life left can be sketchy.

Take care of yourselves during this nutty time.
Hey thanks for posting....I want to add Rubicon JL wheels to my 2020 JGC Trailhawk when I get it. Its currently stuck at the body vendor (I believe Rock rails installed) and due to the shut down its just sitting. I think Ill have to get spacers also. I was told that if you go with spacers get the ones that are hubcentric. I added a link for custom spacers that I found on this website a while back. They are pricey but if you don't want to have any vibration I think they will be well worth the price. They also make ones that are hubcentric to the wheel and also to the vehicle. The hubcentric are the ones with the lip around the center hole. The last thing is I'm not sure what size to get like 8MM, 9MM, 10MM. I want the smallest ones that will work. I did buy from these guys with my Ram 1500 and I think the largest I could get was 10MM the guy called me before making them and I believe that's what he said. I think Ill call him before I order.

41 - 56 of 56 Posts