·
Registered
"Red Hulk"
278 Posts
Posted, I'd like to know also.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Most likely a waist of money. Modern OEM oil packs put out more than enough spark energy for a complete combustion ignition/burn and have been very good at doing that for a long time.

I'd like to see fuel mileage & dyno HP numbers with these new coil packs, doubt they do much of anything over the OEM coil packs.

·
Registered
45 Posts
The old coils were set aside, and the Performance distributor coils were put on top of the old Champion plugs with the factory .040-inch gap. Since so many people replace the plugs and the coils at the same time, we wanted to eliminate any change being the result of a plug swap or gap change. With that set-up, the Hemi Charger spun the dyno wheels to 313.2 peak hp (at 5,150 rpm) and 345 peak lb-ft of torque (coming at 4,200 rpm). We were up 10.2 hp and 8 lb-ft over the baseline—that’s a difference most calibrated butts can feel.

Next, we gapped our new Autolites to .065 inch, torqued them in, and put the SOS coils back on. The idea was to see what kind of gain most people would see all-in, with new coils, new plugs, and bigger gaps. With the new coils and plugs, the Charger was again run on the dyno for three runs. The SOS coils and new Champion plugs pushed the peak torque up to 347 lb-ft at 4,250 rpm, and the horsepower jumped to 314 hp at 5,150 rpm. The peak numbers were up another 1 hp and 2 lb-ft from just the coil packs alone.

This is from HOT ROD magazine website. they used a 5.7 on a charger, with SOS coil packs. Tested first with a spark gap of .040 (stock), then changed the gap to recommended of .065 for the new coil packs. They did get a jump in power.. not sure if $400+ average going price is worth it..

·
Registered
High Altitude
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well they are only 280 so not 400 plus and i bet you could deff get a few mpgs out of them I would like that more then power personally

·
Registered
Subaru Legacy STIEVO
2,100 Posts
Well they are only 280 so not 400 plus and i bet you could deff get a few mpgs out of them I would like that more then power personally
How did you figure that you would get a few more mpgs ? Getting an extra 2 mpgs on a car rated 25 mpg highway would mean an 8% improvement and that is a huge jump.

I am not saying not to try them, but based on my brief 13 year experience modifying turbocharged Subaru engines, the vast majority of Subaru owners NEVER upgrade their coils regardless of the turbo, intercooler, UP/DP piping mods and ECU revisions. Subaru drivers always go to a one step colder plugs and a colder T-stat (which is not bad at 41 dollars - I will consider one myself) but these days coils and spark plug gaps are not a limiting factor in the combustion process.

The example offered on the Hemi sort of prefaces how old and inefficient that engine tech is at making power. I see these coils starting to make sense once you install the supercharging kit, but on their own, no. Look at it this way - they helped out a massive 3.2% based on one testimony on a car making 313 at the wheels. How much do you think you'd gain on a V6 that dynos in the low 200s ?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I just had one fail in my GC on cylinder 5, which was a pita, because I had to do the whole installation process again, to uncover the right bunk. I’m waiting for RIPP’s answer, but tbh 4 months, 3k miles and it fails? Coilpacks are not rocket science, they shouldn’t fail that quickly.
I can’t believe I bought into their marketing at this point.

·
Registered
15 Posts
It’s actually feeling more torqy on those coilpacks, like it has a broader powerband, but if they are not reliable this will kill it for me.

·
Registered
404 Posts
It’s actually feeling more torqy on those coilpacks, like it has a broader powerband, but if they are not reliable this will kill it for me.
Don't want to be mean but that doesn't make any sense especially on an naturally aspirated vehicle. I've used Roush and Whipple supercharger kits on trucks/cars and they come with plugs and maybe injectors but never coils. I don't think I've heard of any forced induction kit coming with coil packs when those kits are what would benefit, if at all, the most. Additionally RIPP doesn't even include them in their kit and is one of the worst companies for forced induction. Did you see how their performance and mpg claims are in bold aka asterisk on the product page with no documentation to back up their claims? Lastly, why is it only available for the 3.6L and no other motor? Even MSD ignition doesn't claim any performance gains on their coils which should speak volumes as they are notorious for overhyping.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Don't want to be mean but that doesn't make any sense especially on an naturally aspirated vehicle. I've used Roush and Whipple supercharger kits on trucks/cars and they come with plugs and maybe injectors but never coils. I don't think I've heard of any forced induction kit coming with coil packs when those kits are what would benefit, if at all, the most. Additionally RIPP doesn't even include them in their kit and is one of the worst companies for forced induction. Did you see how their performance and mpg claims are in bold aka asterisk on the product page with no documentation to back up their claims? Lastly, why is it only available for the 3.6L and no other motor? Even MSD ignition doesn't claim any performance gains on their coils which should speak volumes as they are notorious for overhyping.
It’s ok man. I only bought them because of the dyno runs showing they do add some juice. They have it on YouTube, on a Ram 1500 with Pentastar I believe.
Anyways, this might be a case of replacing 70k miles component with brand new one and that’s why I feel a difference but, well it is what it is.
I’m not interested in arguing with you, I’m not here to advertise RIPP, I actually posted to warn people that one of their coils on my vehicle gave up after 3k miles.

·
Registered
2017 Summit, California Edition Hemi
145 Posts
Sorry to see you got RIPP'ed off. There's so much of the aftermarket stuff that is junk anymore that it's ridiculous. Buyer beware for sure. Most don't do any testing to even back up their claims let alone do any durability testing unlike the OEM's test everything. That's why I try to stay away from most aftermarket parts. More than likely their video was rigged because coils alone are not going to add any HP unless your old ones are failing. It's as simple as that.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts