Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apparently the exhaust changed from 14 to 15 and Borla only shows the axle-back S-Type fitting the 12-14. I guess the change was a valve somewhere in the mid-pipe, so maybe the mufflers are different too. I'm pretty sure they haven't changed from the axle back, so the one they make should still hook up without any problems. I just don't know if it will sound the same on a 15+ as it does on a 12-14.

All the videos I've seen of 2014 SRTs with the axle-back S-type sound perfect to me...a nice mellow rumble that's just a tad louder than stock, but without that extra loud raspy harsh sound I hear from all the SRTs with a cat-back ATAK. (The cat-back S-type sounds too loud as well)

I know some people just remove the resonators to add some volume, but it still doesn't sound good to me.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I have a 15 with Borla S axle back. Fit just fine. Sounds great. I love it. Has slight drone at certain speed on Hwy, but literally drive a bit faster or slower (100-150rpm change) and it stops.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I had an axle-back S-Type on my 2015 and there were no issues. I just held it up under the vehicle, eyeballed the cut locations and marked with a SHarpie. There are a few inches of leeway when cutting and mounting the pipes.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info. After more research, I had been leaning towards the Magnaflow cat back, with the Billy Boat cat back coming in a close second. But after taking another look at this thread (which I kind of forgot about), I'm back to seriously considering the Borla axle back.

Basically, my main goal of this thread was to get input on the sound compared to stock. Bmrisko, how would you describe it? As a reminder, I'm shooting for slightly to somewhat louder than stock with a deep but mellow muscle car sound without any harshness or raspyness, that's not obnoxiously loud at WOT. Basically, the exact sound in Borla's own Video with a 2014.

If the valve is the only difference between a 2014 and my 2018, I can't imagine it would sound any different than that video.....thoughts?

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, all the same. I did end up getting the S-Type axle-back, and it sounds perfect. You just have to hold it up under the stock pipe to mark where to cut the stock pipe. It can be tricky getting the tips to sit just where you want them, but if you don't have OCD, you shouldn't have any problems :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts