Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that you '14 JGC Owners have had a few days / weeks to adjust to the New Electronic Shifter - how is it going ?

Various Posts have mentioned a "learning curve" so does it get easier over time ? Do you now find you can shift by "feel" rather than looking down at the shifter or at the reading on the dash ?

I test drove 7 Jeeps at 3 different Dealers and I seemed to do better going into Drive and Park, but struggled to get into Reverse (I seemed to pass Reverse and hit Park every time).

Any Thoughts or Suggestions ?!?

·
Premium Member
448 Posts
It might take a bit of getting used to. The first couple days I had mine I would pay attention to the dash to make sure I didn't hit the wrong gear. Now I can do it by feel. Rarely do I miss a gear, I'm more likely to wind up in N going from D to R than anything else because I didn't push the shifter far enough.

·
Registered
2014 Overland
606 Posts
I like it a lot. Took me a few days to get used to it though. I can do everything by feel now. You can pull harder or softer to make bigger jumps...like park to drive for example. A small pull puts you in reverse, and a sturdy pull puts you in drive. Then you just have to figure out when you need to push the button and when you don't. Does not take a long time when you own it.

I was also never against the e-shifter like many here were...so I didn't go into it already hating it. It's the way things are going, and I'm ok with change.

·
Registered
783 Posts
I love it now that I'm use to it. I also wasn't against it, but knew it would take some getting use to. The way the dealer was showing me to use it was way inefficent since they were saying to click and pull back to get into each gear and do that to get into drive, but after messing around with it, I just click and pull all the way to go into drive and click and push all the way to go into park, or slightly push to go into reverse/neutral. I also think putting the sport mode on the shifter was the best idea. It works so much better than having to reach and select sport on the dial and I can quickly shift into sport in situations where I need the aggressive shifting and eco mode turned off.

·
Premium Member
2017 Summit
8,884 Posts
Not totally, but it works. I watch the lights as I shift into reverse or park. In time I think it will become natural, I just don't see it as progress, except maybe in cost containment. If they didn't want to put in something that feels like a traditional shifter I would have preferred a dial, or push buttons.

·
Registered
877 Posts
I like the shifter a lot. I think it looks and feels modern and more upscale (much nicer than the previous one in my opinion) and it's never been bothersome for me. I usually hit the gear I want on the first shift motion, although occasionally I'll be one off. But it's no big deal.

I always look at the shifter as I'm shifting though, and never go by feel alone. Not sure I'll ever get to that point. Unless I did it slowly, it just feels too risky (unless I was looking at the EVIC). It would feel risky to do that with a traditional shifter too in my opinion.

·
Premium Member
2017 Summit
8,884 Posts
I guess I am naive..what is so different about this shifter? I have not driven one yet!
You don't shift into different positions sequentially. The shifter always returns to the center position and the indents are hard to feel. To go from drive to sport you pull the shifter back. To then go to drive you pull the shifter back again. If you intuitively push it forward to go back to drive you wind up in neutral.

I never had to look at a traditional shifter or an evic. As said, it feels modern, not better. :(

·
Registered
88 Posts
The shifter is very natural for me after a month. I was also told by the dealer to "click" it into gear like a computer mouse, but learned quickly that you could do it just like a regular shifter, but it goes back to the original position each time. I don't have to look down or at EVIC when shifting. I do agree it's hard to tell where each gear is, but I have learned on distance pulling the shifter vs "clicks".
Also, I have driven several sticks so I'm used to having my hand on the shifter and I tend to go between sport mode and ECO/drive a lot depending on city or interstate. The way the center console and shifter is set up, its very comfortable for me to have my arm resting on the center console with my hand on the shifter. I enjoy the shifter.

·
Premium Member
3,453 Posts
Any other old codgers here remember when 1st gear was first synchronized in the 4 on the floor shifter? Damn if I didn't downshift from 4th into 1st going 60 mph and it slid right in. Popped the clutch and blew the tranny!

·
Premium Member
2017 Summit
8,884 Posts
any other old codgers her remember when 1st gear was first synchronized in the 4 on the floor shifter? Damn if i didn't downshift from 4th into 1st going 60 mph and it slid right in. Popped the clutch and blew the tranny!

;)

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
I like it better than the shifter that BMW and Mercedes uses in their vehicles. And I'm glad Jeep didn't use that rotary knob shifter like some of the Ram trucks have in them.

·
Premium Member
3,453 Posts
And I'm glad Jeep didn't use that rotary knob shifter like some of the Ram trucks have in them.
That's for sure. I'd have to mount something on the console to rest my hand on!

·
The "REAL" JeepGarage Founder
1,379 Posts
It's love/hate for me. I love the aesthetics and feel of it but the countless times I've tried turning it off while in reverse gets old. Hopped out at the gas station and couldn't figure out why it was still moving.. luckiky I was only halfway out the door. The best was when I thought I killed the QL since I enjoy f'ing with it constantly. I was in neutral unknowingly revving the engine. Sounded like I was dragging something! Generally my mind is anywhere but where it should be at the time.

·
Registered
SRT
393 Posts
To me, that new shifter is just plain old idiotic. What is the point? A complete waste of space. Why do you need such a T-handle to put the car in and out of gear? I am also pissed because my thigh rubs against it (I am tall), which rules out any '14.
My wife has the 8- speed in her BMW. While it is a bit odd to push "forward" to put the car in reverse, it is nearly impossible to miss what gear you are in..an issue many of yous are reporting.
I had the fingertip steering wheel shift in my MB a few years ago, and after about a week of getting used to, it was probably the best selecter I have ever seen in a vehicle. Completely logical and hidden...as it should be.

·
Premium Member
468 Posts
It's not bad, I kinda like it but it's going to take some getting used to. I truthfully think the rotary dial, like what the new Durango will have, would be a much easier to use solution.

·
Registered
SRT
393 Posts
I studied the RT Durango at the NY show last week. From what i can see, the GC and the Durango share the center console. The cut-out for the dial and the t- handle appear to be about the same. The harnesses underneath I would imagine are similar as well. Would not surprise me if an upfit to the rotary is possible.

·
Premium Member
2017 Summit
8,884 Posts
Maybe after 10 or 12 people get hurt because they exited the car thinking it was in Park, Jeep will change them.

While I would hold the drivers responsible for such an incident, some government agency will step in and blame the Jeep.

·
Registered
BMW
115 Posts
It is a little awkward at first but not too bad. The new Ram trucks that use the e shifter have a knob on the dash, that makes more sense to me and my leg wouldn't rub it...6'5

·
Registered
SRT
393 Posts
It is a little awkward at first but not too bad. The new Ram trucks that use the e shifter have a knob on the dash, that makes more sense to me and my leg wouldn't rub it...6'5
You are not the only one...I posted a few weeks ago..I had the opportunity to drive a '14 SRT at the Amelia Concours...Got in, adjusted the seat..and holy crap..leg on the shifter...WTF?....Been obsessed with trying to come up with a solution since....

1 - 20 of 48 Posts