Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

Are WK2 wheels/tires not flush with each other?

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  SportsFan06K 
#1 ·
Hello all! I'll make this quick and hopefully make it simple...

On the stock WK2 (I have the 21' TH), are all 4 tires not aligned together? Are they staggered?

The reason I ask is because many users go with the BORA 1" in front and 1.25" in the rear to allow a flush look with the fenders giving it an aggressive stance. So, by having this stance, does this make the Jeep become staggered or are the wheels still "squared" up with one another?

If I were to go with spacers on a 265/65r18, do you recommend all four wheels with the same spacer or what I previously mentioned?

***Assuming a 1" front and 1.25" rear DOES NOT mess with tractions, drive terrain, acceleration, light off roading, and and everyday driving.

Thank you!

#2 ·
Stock, they're not staggered in any meaningful way; the difference in track is just under 0.2". We're not talking about, say, a MINI, where the rear stance is a good 2–3 inches wider than the front. If you stand in front of the Jeep, you're unlikely to notice it.

Where they do differ is in the body lines — the rear quarter projects farther out over the rear wheel than the front quarter projects over the front wheel. This is easily visible when you're at the side of the vehicle. For the guys running wider spacers in the rear, they bring the rear wheel more flush with the rear wheel well. With that spacer configuration, you'd be roughly 1/2" wider (total) in the rear than in the front. That difference is then more obviously noticeable from the front, but if you hate the way it looks stock from the side, that's the available tradeoff. 🤷🏼‍♂️

The tires are where they are for aero and off-road reasons, but if you don't mind fractional fuel economy losses and pay attention to where the jaggy rocks are, you should be fine either way.

#5 ·
Thank you! My goal is to not have it looked staggered, which is why I was initially thinking of putting 1" spacers on all 4s and wondered why someone would add additional length to 2 other wheels. The tires I am seriously considering are the 265/65r18 Falken Wildpeak H/T 02. The AT version of that tire has great reviews especially with the spacers as I'm sure you know. As long as the 1" and 1.25" won't mess with the aero/ everyday driving dynamics then it is good to know to go that route.

This is my thread and will leave updates on my future mods... thanks again!
2021 WK2 Trailhawk White V8

#3 ·
The 1”F/1.25”R spacer set up looks great, and with stock size tires no problems with rub for me. When I upsized my tires to 275/55-20 Cooper Rugged Trek (32.17”,) I started having issues.

w/o spacers the Coopers rub in park mode, with spacers they were rubbing with articulation.

I also am having so alignment issues. I believe this is from a tie rod end that maybe going bad. I didn’t feel any play, but the boot is split. It is possible that with the larger/heavier tires and the spacers in I was putting too much stress on the tie rod end.

YMMV, but the reality is that larger tires & widening the track via spacers or custom wheel offsets will put more strain on the suspension components.

another thing to consider is if you will ever need to put tire chains on. Spacers on stock size tire will give you a little more clearance from the suspension components, but may put the fenders in a little more danger.

#4 ·
The 1”F/1.25”R spacer set up looks great, and with stock size tires no problems with rub for me. When I upsized my tires to 275/55-20 Cooper Rugged Trek (32.17”,) I started having issues.

w/o spacers the Coopers rub in park mode, with spacers they were rubbing with articulation.

I also am having so alignment issues. I believe this is from a tie rod end that maybe going bad. I didn’t feel any play, but the boot is split. It is possible that with the larger/heavier tires and the spacers in I was putting too much stress on the tie rod end.

YMMV, but the reality is that larger tires & widening the track via spacers or custom wheel offsets will put more strain on the suspension components.

another thing to consider is if you will ever need to put tire chains on. Spacers on stock size tire will give you a little more clearance from the suspension components, but may put the fenders in a little more danger.
Thanks for the info! Initially, I was set on a Michelin Defender 275/65r18 without using spacers (32.1") however, it is next to no where to find someone who had/has this set up - and I was not entertaining myself to be the first one. I am now seriously looking at the 265/65r18 Falken Wildpeak H/T 02 tires...nothing against its AT tire of course.

Sucks to hear about the issues, since it can make you wonder if the spacers caused the problem initially. Thanks for bringing those additional details to my attention too. I've read many forums over the past year of the pros and cons... pros vastly outweighing cons though

#6 ·
I agree. The shape of the rear fenders creates the optical illusion that the rear tires are pulled inward more than the front tires.
Has anyone just added wheel spacers to the rear wheels? If so, what size?

Reactions: SportsFan06K
#7 ·
@SportsFan06K If you go the route with a non AT tire than this should be your spare for your 265/65r18's and will save you $$$. These are never used RAM spare takeoffs. RAM (accidently?) put these on at least one year of their pickups when the rest of the tires were taller. RAM recalled them. They fit fine in the spare compartment and the buckets fit too.

#8 ·
@SportsFan06K If you go the route with a non AT tire than this should be your spare for your 265/65r18's and will save you $$$. These are never used RAM spare takeoffs. RAM (accidently?) put these on at least one year of their pickups when the rest of the tires were taller. RAM recalled them. They fit fine in the spare compartment and the buckets fit too.
Wow! great price for that too! Really makes you wonder about the markup on tires...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.