Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife just took her mother for a spin to show off our brand new '14 Limited. She was trying to turn down the stereo on the steering wheel, and was apparently hitting the left paddle shifter to do so after forgetting where the volume adjust buttons are. It appears that she then drove all the way home - about 15 miles - IN FIRST GEAR.

"That thing is behaving really weird," she said. "And it sounds awful."

Is it really possible that this just happened?

·
Premium Member
4,989 Posts
My wife just took her mother for a spin to show off our brand new '14 Limited. She was trying to turn down the stereo on the steering wheel, and was apparently hitting the left paddle shifter to do so after forgetting where the volume adjust buttons are. It appears that she then drove all the way home - about 15 miles - IN FIRST GEAR.

"That thing is behaving really weird," she said. "And it sounds awful."

Is it really possible that this just happened?
OH Boy, I am trying to restrain myself but yes... totally. My Benz would have done the exact same thing. All she needs to do is Press and HOLD the plus paddle for a couple seconds to get out of that..... Sorry I need to just a little. :lol:

Thank god there is a limiter on the engine.

Sorry, dont mean to offend but your title says it all :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
2017 Summit
8,869 Posts
I think that pulling the shifter back would have also gotten her back into D

---

·
Registered
96 Posts
And that even if you are in the manual mode it will shift gears one you get to a high enough RPM. It won't let you over rev the engine.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
And that even if you are in the manual mode it will shift gears one you get to a high enough RPM. It won't let you over rev the engine.
I was really hoping this is what happened, because she said she was driving in excess of 50 mph, but that the engine was "revving super high" the whole time. I can't imagine what the RPMs would be like going 50 in first gear.

If it were a child, I'd rush it to the emergency room after something like that. I immediately took it for a ride, and nothing seems amiss. But let's just say there is a serious tutorial coming on this "too complicated" car before she drives it again.

·
Premium Member
4,989 Posts
I was really hoping this is what happened, because she said she was driving in excess of 50 mph, but that the engine was "revving super high" the whole time. I can't imagine what the RPMs would be like going 50 in first gear.

If it were a child, I'd rush it to the emergency room after something like that. I immediately took it for a ride, and nothing seems amiss. But let's just say there is a serious tutorial coming on this "too complicated" car before she drives it again.
She Very well could have been locked in Second or Third. It won't start in Third so it would have dropped down. The Rev limiter will not allow over Redline.

·
Premium Member
2017 Summit
8,869 Posts
In Users Guide, Second Edition;

" Normally,inPaddleShiftMode,thetransmissionwillautomaticallyshiftup whenmaximumenginespeedisreached.If,however,PaddleShiftModeis engagedwhileinSPORTmode,thetransmissionwillremainintheselectedgear evenwhenmaximumenginespeedisreached.Thetransmissionwillupshift onlywhencommandedbythedriver.

Sorry, my tablet deletes spaces when I copy and paste, but you can figure it out.

---

Reactions: Willx

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
In Users Guide, Second Edition;

" Normally,inPaddleShiftMode,thetransmissionwillautomaticallyshiftup whenmaximumenginespeedisreached.If,however,PaddleShiftModeis engagedwhileinSPORTmode,thetransmissionwillremainintheselectedgear evenwhenmaximumenginespeedisreached.Thetransmissionwillupshift onlywhencommandedbythedriver.

-
So as long as she was in drive and not sport, it should have shifted automatically - albeit really late - right? That makes me feel a bit better.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Lets put it this way. That's how it's supposed to work. Lots of electronic failsafe's to keep people of doing those things by mistake. Might have gone into a limp home mode. But yes it will up shift even of you forget if it hits the red line. I've done it a couple of times. It will also not allow you to downshift if it would be turning too many RPMs. Self preservation.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just imagine what the tranny "learned" that drive!
:(

Luckily, I am doing another GCLimited negative terminal disconnect when I install my Volant next week, so my poor truck can "forget" this whole experience.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Reminds me of the time (somewhere around 2008) my wife had a rental Nissan Altima while her car was in the shop. At home that night she mentioned how loud and rough the car was...so we took it around the block. She had been pulling the shifter all the way back past drive to "manual" mode an driving with the CVT in it's "first gear" setting all day. ;-)

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Lets put it this way. That's how it's supposed to work. Lots of electronic failsafe's to keep people of doing those things by mistake. Might have gone into a limp home mode. But yes it will up shift even of you forget if it hits the red line. I've done it a couple of times. It will also not allow you to downshift if it would be turning too many RPMs. Self preservation.
Thanks for the clarification.

·
Registered
374 Posts
When I test drove a 2014 GC, I used the paddle shifter and expected it to shift to a new gear when the revs got high. It did not. It stayed near redline until I shifted it to a higher gear (or hit the non-paddle shifter to put it back into D). I bet it stayed at redline all the way home.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
All things happen for a reason.... the reason this happened is so that you have a "get out of jail free" card to use anytime you need it!

Use it wisely my friend, use it wisely.

Reactions: VermontJGC14

·
Premium Member
4,989 Posts
When I test drove a 2014 GC, I used the paddle shifter and expected it to shift to a new gear when the revs got high. It did not. It stayed near redline until I shifted it to a higher gear (or hit the non-paddle shifter to put it back into D). I bet it stayed at redline all the way home.
According to the documentation that is what it did but the rev limiter is set well within a safe range. The Euro vehicles I have driven work exactly like this as well so I am not surprised considering the origin of the transmission.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.