Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I have a wire stripper/splicer, I'm sure I could manage it. It's just that there's not a lot of excess wire back there to play with.

But, on the plus side, another day in the books, multiple vehicle starts, and the code still didn't come back. No rough starts either!

On the down side, I got ANOTHER check engine light today for something unrelated.

P0520, oil pressure sensor. Basically my oil pressure is stuck showing 96 psi. I'm confident it's not actually that high, it's just a faulty sensor, so it's not a huge deal at the moment.

I looked at a YouTube video for how to repair it, and it's a bitch of a job. I may just have to take it into the shop to have it done.

This damn thing is starting to nickel and dime me!

If only there were some decent values for used vehicles available. Damn chip shortage.

·
Registered
43 Posts
2011 3.6. I got the P0340 code for the first time about a year ago. I reset it, figuring it was a one time issue. And it was, at least until it recently reappeared.

It reappeared about a month ago, and now the vehicle rattles about 50% of the time on startup, and the code will reappear.

Code scan showed it was Bank 1 Sensor 1, which is for the passenger side. So today, I replaced the old Camshaft Position Sensor with an OEM one. First 3 startups were good, but then had 2 straight rough starts with accompanying rattling sounds and check engine light showing up.

Same code as before.

So if it's not the sensor itself, what the heck could it be? Bad harness? How would I even test that? And if it's that, how would I go about replacing it?
This has been a great thread to follow. Isn’t it fantastic when you get members who are articulate in putting instruction across to one other that can result in a fix.. 👌 Let us all know if the pin wire rectified was the key. If it was, brilliant. You had some pro help on your side I think.. 👊🇦🇺

·
Registered
3,128 Posts
I have a wire stripper/splicer, I'm sure I could manage it. It's just that there's not a lot of excess wire back there to play with.

But, on the plus side, another day in the books, multiple vehicle starts, and the code still didn't come back. No rough starts either!

On the down side, I got ANOTHER check engine light today for something unrelated.

P0520, oil pressure sensor. Basically my oil pressure is stuck showing 96 psi. I'm confident it's not actually that high, it's just a faulty sensor, so it's not a huge deal at the moment.

I looked at a YouTube video for how to repair it, and it's a bitch of a job. I may just have to take it into the shop to have it done.

This damn thing is starting to nickel and dime me!

If only there were some decent values for used vehicles available. Damn chip shortage.
Now an oil pressure problem! When it rains it sometimes pours.
Buying a used vehicle can be a coin toss which might open up a whole new different can of worms.

Without going back to read posts, i seem to remember you saying you had some oil pump related work done.
Don't know where the oil sensor is located but if you can reach it try re-seating its connector first and also check its wiring for anything suspicious.
If lucky maybe the shop didn't seat the oil sensor connector properly.

The cam sensor replacement connector should have long enough pig tail wires which will help but i hear what you might be saying, these Jeeps have always had just enough wire lengths to get the job done.

Yeah far as spicing wires Utube vids are your best bet.
I'm a strong proponent for soldering spliced wires but that depends on one's soldering skill level.

If you get the replacement connector spliced in and the Jeep starts and runs with no issues, congrats you either fixed the problem or eliminated the connector as the culprit.

Reactions: Artisanau

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Previous issue was an oil cooler.

The oil pressure sensor is located underneath the intake. YouTube tutorials exist, and it sounds like its a 2-3 hour job. Just need a few specialty tools. I may try it myself.

·
Registered
221 Posts
So, I'm not sure if I found something, but I may have. Check this out.

I have the pins labeled 4-1. Pin 4 is actually sensor 1, and Pin 1 is sensor 2.

Well, the code I've been getting is P0340- Bank 1 Sensor 1. Aka, Pin 4. Well, take a look at Pin 4 on the harness. That horizontal black plastic piece appears to be broken. That piece appears to be some kind of stabilizer for the pin to seat into the female end.

So, I THINK I found the culprit. I'm not 100% sure, but it would make sense with all of the issues. Now, I just gotta figure out how to replace that harness, or the end at the very least.

View attachment 236314
Hey JEEP NOOB, what ended up happening with this? I have been chasing the P0340 code on my 2011 3.6 for years.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Hey JEEP NOOB, what ended up happening with this? I have been chasing the P0340 code on my 2011 3.6 for years.
Well, the code stopped appearing soon after swapping in a new cam position sensor.

However, the rattle on startup still happens once every 6-7 starts.

After some more diagnosis, I'm thinking the true issue is one of the cam phasers is on its way out. That would explain why it was throwing a cam position code.

I have an appointment scheduled a few weeks from now for a diagnosis. I can report back when I find out more. But, that's where I'm leaning at the moment.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Well, the code stopped appearing soon after swapping in a new cam position sensor.

However, the rattle on startup still happens once every 6-7 starts.

After some more diagnosis, I'm thinking the true issue is one of the cam phasers is on its way out. That would explain why it was throwing a cam position code.

I have an appointment scheduled a few weeks from now for a diagnosis. I can report back when I find out more. But, that's where I'm leaning at the moment.
Ok, I have the EXACT same problem you are describing. Intermittent out of phase missfire on startup with a lot of noise, check engine light and traction control light on, and a CEL for P0340. Turning the car off and immediately restarting it fixes the missfire and traction control light. The CEL stays on but after several cycles without this happening, CEL goes off on its own but maintains a history code in the system. Happens about 1-2 times every 10 starts. I have just got into the habit of being prepared to turn it off and back on again if it happens. Car runs fine after the restart. Really want to fix it. Was hoping you fixed the problem by fixing the connector or something and not having to replace phasers. :/

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Ok, I have the EXACT same problem you are describing. Intermittent out of phase missfire on startup with a lot of noise, check engine light and traction control light on. Turning the car off and immediately restarting it fixes it. Happens on about 2-3 times every 10 starts. I have just got into the habit of being prepared to turn it off and back on again if it happens. Car runs fine after the restart. Really want to fix it. Was hoping you fixed the problem by fixing the connector or something and not having to replace phasers. :/
Same here. But it's looking like the phasers may be the issue.

Again, I'll report back in a few weeks when my trusted mechanic shop takes a look at it. They're familiar w the noise from when I brought it in a couple months ago. They basically told me it's a timing issue flat out, which seems obvious. And since it's intermittent, and not on every start up, they are leaning towards the spring in one of the cam phasers is stuck every now and then. Makes sense.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts