Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

201 - 220 of 241 Posts

·
Premium Member
528 Posts
So, what you're saying is the problem is back?

No. My original problem was the 2-3 upshift when cold.
Like JTS I developed a very harsh 3-2 downshift. I'm hoping it will go away like his did.

Are you still in a holding pattern with yours? Did you develop a 3-2 downshift issue like we did?

Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage

·
Registered
403 Posts
Last conversation with my dealer was Friday. It seems the second request sent to Chrysler as to a solution only gave the same steps that the dealer had already taken. Another request was sent.

In the interim, he told me that he will present the issue to a District Chrysler field service rep. for his input. He told me that this district individual would have any knowledge as to whether any software updates are being designed. My service guy also feels that the issue is software related as opposed to mechanical.

·
Premium Member
3,877 Posts
Like JTS I developed a very harsh 3-2 downshift. I'm hoping it will go away like his did.
Just curious, how long has it been since the original work was done (valve body replacement)? Reason I ask is just because I want to compare to my timeline to see if there is any hope that yours will somehow fix itself or learn like mine did.
So like I said before, after the original valve body replacement (7-8-16) the car worked perfectly for 50 miles, then that's when the bad 3-2 downshift started.
I then had an appointment on 7-18-16 to get it back in as some of the downshifts were pretty bad like if it happened while in a turn it was not pleasant. So literally the DAY OF my appointment on the 18th the Jeep started shifting perfectly and I never took it in. I am now going on day 10 of good shifting and about 600 total miles since the valve body was replaced.

·
Premium Member
528 Posts
I wish I checked the mileage...it had to have been 40-50 miles. Def not more than 60 if I do the math.

I picked it up on Wed afternoon the 20th and it was already doing Friday the 22nd.

It is so harsh and very audible

·
Premium Member
528 Posts
Update...So just like JTS, at ~220 miles the very harsh and loud 3-2 downshift disappeared. It left me yesterday...but I didn't believe it till I drove it again this morning.

Jeepgrady, how are things coming along on your discussions?

·
Premium Member
3,877 Posts
Update...So just like JTS, at ~220 miles the very harsh and loud 3-2 downshift disappeared. It left me yesterday...but I didn't believe it till I drove it again this morning.

Sweet! Hopefully you're good to go now. Mine is still great!

·
Registered
7 Posts
So I've been suffering from rough cold 2-3 upshift bump and a constant 6-5 and 5-4 downshift when coming to a stop. I have a 3.6L 2015 limited and I've had it in 5 times for this issue. 3 different dealerships in my area tell me that its operating as intended and maybe a future software update will help. I've mentioned a new valve body last time i was in and they told me the problem would just return as its not mechanical.

Can i ask how you guys got them to look into a new valve body? Does my May 2015 have the redesigned valve body in it? Do you think this is something i should push harder for (new valve body)?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,877 Posts
So I've been suffering from rough cold 2-3 upshift bump and a constant 6-5 and 5-4 downshift when coming to a stop. I have a 3.6L 2015 limited and I've had it in 5 times for this issue. 3 different dealerships in my area tell me that its operating as intended and maybe a future software update will help. I've mentioned a new valve body last time i was in and they told me the problem would just return as its not mechanical.

Can i ask how you guys got them to look into a new valve body? Does my May 2015 have the redesigned valve body in it? Do you think this is something i should push harder for (new valve body)?

Thanks!
It's hard to say about the valve body as I have no idea if they even did revise the valve body. It might just be the exact same one going in that's it's replacing. As far as my dealership, I didn't mention anything to them about valve body. I just went in saying this is exactly what's it's doing, and I got the car back with a new valve body and relearn procedure completed. Not sure about yours, but my original problem was also the cold 2-3 upshift and there is no way anyone could claim that to be normal. It was harsh enough that they acknowledged the issue right away. I have been really enjoying the shifting lately in my Jeep, hope it stays this way.

·
Premium Member
528 Posts

Thanks!

I didn't have a problem with them trying to diagnose it and I agree it is not mechanical...however when they opened the star case, those techs/engineers told them to change the valve body after the inspected the pan and didn't find any metal.

·
Registered
403 Posts

After pestering my dealer for an update for a month, the most being last Tuesday when I was told that the Service Manager was speaking to the district FCA service person on my issue, I finally got a phone call today. FCA's response: Check to make sure that I have the most recent software, and do another relearn. Other than that, they say it's working normally. I can't believe this shit. I told my service guy that I will bring it in for them to check the software, but, I'm sure I have the most recent software. Not happy. Time to bail on Chrysler for good.

They are on the verge of losing a longtime customer who has bought many of their products through the years including about 10 Jeeps.

·
Premium Member
3,877 Posts
^^^damn, sorry to see that happen. I know this is not possible for everyone because of where they live, but is it at all possible for you to try another dealership? Like myself and others in this thread have said, other dealership do the valve body change no questions asked. I wish you were closer I would say bring it to my dealership and they would even give you a loaner free of charge.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I don't believe it's the dealer. I have purchased numerous vehicles from them through the years. They even helped me get Chrysler to buyback a van back in 2012.

You may remember that I already had the valve body changed back in October. Ran good for awhile but the problem is back.

I think the problem is that Chrysler won't admit that they still have a problem. Why some vehicles seem to have the problem fixed after a new valve body and others don't, I don't know. Why are some OK after coming from the factory and others aren't? I still say it's software. I'm pissed with Chryslers typical arrogance in stating that it's running normal.

I went on a 400 mile trip last weekend hoping that afterwards it may run OK, but the same issue exists.

I will take it in one more time for the SW check and relearn. But, I already know the outcome. I'll keep you informed. Hopefully, after several thousand miles, yours will still run properly.

·
Premium Member
528 Posts
Wow this is unfortunate to hear. I'm sorry you got that explanation.

·
Premium Member
3,877 Posts
I don't believe it's the dealer. I have purchased numerous vehicles from them through the years. They even helped me get Chrysler to buyback a van back in 2012.

You may remember that I already had the valve body changed back in October. Ran good for awhile but the problem is back.

I think the problem is that Chrysler won't admit that they still have a problem. Why some vehicles seem to have the problem fixed after a new valve body and others don't, I don't know. Why are some OK after coming from the factory and others aren't? I still say it's software. I'm pissed with Chryslers typical arrogance in stating that it's running normal.

I went on a 400 mile trip last weekend hoping that afterwards it may run OK, but the same issue exists.

I will take it in one more time for the SW check and relearn. But, I already know the outcome. I'll keep you informed. Hopefully, after several thousand miles, yours will still run properly.
Ahh ok I lost track of who was who in this thread and forgot you already had the valve body replaced. Yeah I hope mine keeps running good although I was a bit upset after 50 miles into the new valve body that the problem redeveloped in a slightly different way, only to go away and still be gone 700 miles later. Keep my fingers crossed. Keep us up to date on yours, I hope something can be done, otherwise I wouldn't blame you for getting rid of it. The only thing I can recommend is go with the V8 since the transmission in those is shown to be solid, but if thats definitely not what you want then I hope you can find something you like.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
When was the last transmission update released for the 3.6? Lately, mine has been shifting all around clunky and it sucks. The last two times (6 months) I've been into the dealer they say each time that it's up to date already. I don't think it is

·
Registered
403 Posts
From what I see the last update was 21-027-15C dated 10/9/15. There is also a later one 21-039-14, dated 11/25/14 specifically tied to build dates of 7/21/14-10/17/14.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've been wrestling with a 1-2 upshift hitch (when cold) and rough 5-4-3 (often but with no pattern of occurrence). In May it warranted getting a new transmission installed. The issues returned. After a couple more transmission relearns the problem hasn't gone away, and now they tell me that such behavior is "normal operation". They won't do anything more, and that if they were to try a re-learn the issue would just reappear shortly thereafter. The only thing I can conclude is that if Chrysler can't fix it, it must not be a problem.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I've been wrestling with a 1-2 upshift hitch (when cold) and rough 5-4-3 (often but with no pattern of occurrence). In May it warranted getting a new transmission installed. The issues returned. After a couple more transmission relearns the problem hasn't gone away, and now they tell me that such behavior is "normal operation". They won't do anything more, and that if they were to try a re-learn the issue would just reappear shortly thereafter. The only thing I can conclude is that if Chrysler can't fix it, it must not be a problem.
Chrysler really sucks. How can they tell us it's normal if other owners don't have the problem. Part of me wants to continue to fight with them, but it really sounds like they don't have a fix. The more I think about it, I feel my only solution is to just get rid of it. My only problem is that besides the harsh cold shifts, I love everything else about the vehicle.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Well, don't want to jinx it, but, took my vehicle to the dealer on Thursday to ensure that it has the most recent software as well as to get another relearn. Spoke to the service tech who has worked on my vehicle many times in the past. I have great respect for the guy. He treats my vehicle with respect: no scuff marks, greasy fingerprints, etc. By the way, he was the one who replaced the valve body last Fall, after which, you may recall, was successful in solving my problem. He seems to be extremely knowledgeable.

He said my software was up to date, and did the relearn. I asked him what else could cause the problem. He had my head spinning talking about different solenoids, ratios etc. Anyway, he said to give it a couple of days and see how she runs.

As I said, this was Thursday. Since then it shifts as smooth as butter. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Anyway, I have a theory. If you look at the process of what the relearn procedure is, it appears to be quite detailed oriented. Now the previous relearn, performed several weeks ago did nothing to correct my issue. I noticed at that time that it was done by a different technician. It may be possible that some techs have no clue what they are doing in performing the relearn, and as a result, our problems continue.

Of course, it doesn't answer why a relearn is required periodically in the first place. However, if the tech. doesn't have a clue, of course a positive outcome will not occur.

I hope this does the trick. I really don't want to get rid of my Summit.

·
Premium Member
528 Posts
Well, don't want to jinx it, but, took my vehicle to the dealer on Thursday to ensure that it has the most recent software as well as to get another relearn. Spoke to the service tech who has worked on my vehicle many times in the past. I have great respect for the guy. He treats my vehicle with respect: no scuff marks, greasy fingerprints, etc. By the way, he was the one who replaced the valve body last Fall, after which, you may recall, was successful in solving my problem. He seems to be extremely knowledgeable.

He said my software was up to date, and did the relearn. I asked him what else could cause the problem. He had my head spinning talking about different solenoids, ratios etc. Anyway, he said to give it a couple of days and see how she runs.

As I said, this was Thursday. Since then it shifts as smooth as butter. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Anyway, I have a theory. If you look at the process of what the relearn procedure is, it appears to be quite detailed oriented. Now the previous relearn, performed several weeks ago did nothing to correct my issue. I noticed at that time that it was done by a different technician. It may be possible that some techs have no clue what they are doing in performing the relearn, and as a result, our problems continue.

Of course, it doesn't answer why a relearn is required periodically in the first place. However, if the tech. doesn't have a clue, of course a positive outcome will not occur.

I hope this does the trick. I really don't want to get rid of my Summit.

My fingers are crossed for you! Hope it finally sticks!
Fwiw, you may b on to something....I had the relearn in early June and it didn't do a darn thing. Then after the valve body & relearn by the certified tranny tech, it works great.

Sent from my iPad using JeepGarage

201 - 220 of 241 Posts