Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

221 - 240 of 241 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
There's a standard line in the procedure for doing any flash/software update...

NOTE: Install a battery charger to ensure battery voltage does not drop below 13.2 volts. Do not allow the charging voltage to climb above 13.5 volts during the flash process.

That's a really tight voltage range to maintain. Sometimes I wonder just how careful they are in following this and how much this is a factor in whether the update is successful or not.

·
Registered
7 Posts
So after a year of shifting issues, the dealership is finally willing to install a new valve body on my tranny. This thread has been quiet for awhile but was curious if any of you that got new valve bodies are still running smoother than before?

Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
528 Posts
JTS/jeepgrady how are you both holding up? I'm not doing too well now that cooler temps have arrived. Started same rough pattern on Saturday.
JTS, you are in a colder climate than me, how is it first thing in the AM? Still good?

Sent from my iPad using JeepGarage

·
Registered
403 Posts
Well, the cold start 2-3 upshift was never totally gone, but it was much improved. Hasn't been that cold yet near me, so time will tell. I can assume that as the temps get colder, the harshness will continue longer until the tranny temp rises.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi All: I just dropped my '15 JGC Summit off at the dealer for the cold hard shifting 2-3 issue. I tried the battery disconnect, and I noticed some improvement, but not a satisfactory amount. Are there still folks that have not had this issue resolved yet? I am a first time jeep owner after owning a car for 9 years that needed nothing but brakes, and this whole issue has been sitting like a rock in my stomach.

I have read through most of the 19 pages on the thread, and it seems most of you have, through much persistence, have persevered in getting this resolved (i.e. JTS and Jeepgrady). Is this the case for most people? I would appreciate any tips/advice. Thanks!

·
Registered
403 Posts
Hi All: I just dropped my '15 JGC Summit off at the dealer for the cold hard shifting 2-3 issue. I tried the battery disconnect, and I noticed some improvement, but not a satisfactory amount. Are there still folks that have not had this issue resolved yet? I am a first time jeep owner after owning a car for 9 years that needed nothing but brakes, and this whole issue has been sitting like a rock in my stomach.

I have read through most of the 19 pages on the thread, and it seems most of you have, through much persistence, have persevered in getting this resolved (i.e. JTS and Jeepgrady). Is this the case for most people? I would appreciate any tips/advice. Thanks!
Mine really hasn't been resolved. It's better than it was, however, the problem still persists. I'm awaiting the cold temperatures to see how bad it is. My assumption is that the problem is software related and hopefully, a resolution will eventually be forthcoming.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Mine really hasn't been resolved. It's better than it was, however, the problem still persists. I'm awaiting the cold temperatures to see how bad it is. My assumption is that the problem is software related and hopefully, a resolution will eventually be forthcoming.
I dropped my '15 Summit off yesterday for the Valve Body replacement. I am keeping my fingers crossed that this takes care of it. If nothing else, the dealer has been working very hard to try to keep me satisfied. I will keep you all posted to see if this works.

·
Premium Member
3,877 Posts
Edit: After making this post I noticed some of you referenced me on the previous page. So to answer your question, the valve body work seemed to have fixed it until the cold Chicago winter temps came. 1-2 shift after cold start is pretty bad :-(

I haven't visited this thread lately, but I'll give an update on mine which did have the valve body work done last summer for a harsh 3-2 downshift. 2015 High Altitude V6 9,000 miles.
Since the cold weather here in Chicago I have a pretty rough 1-2 shift after a cold start. It last for a couple miles of driving and slowly goes away. Some times are more harsh than others, but it can be pretty jolting, especially if the 1-2 shift is done during normal acceleration. If you accelerate with very light throttle you can sort of minimize it, but normal to moderate acceleration and it can be pretty brutal. Every once in a while my 5-4 downshift seems a little rough.
I may try to make another appointment to fix it. If it was up to me I would just go buy a 2016 as my sales guy is doing everything he can to sweeten a deal they have on my favorite color HA (velvet red), but I think my wife would seriously divorce me if I try and buy another grand cherokee lol.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Sorry to drag up an old thread but I'm looking at a 2015 Grand Cherokee Summit with 22k on it (mods if I posted this in the wrong location please move it). I'm wondering if the problem has been resolved or not. I haven't test driven this yet, my hope is that this vehicle doesn't have an problems, but my gut tells me the owner might have traded it in for this very reason.

Looking at these threads makes me wonder if I should just find a different SUV.

·
Registered
75th Anniversary
942 Posts
Sorry to drag up an old thread but I'm looking at a 2015 Grand Cherokee Summit with 22k on it (mods if I posted this in the wrong location please move it). I'm wondering if the problem has been resolved or not. I haven't test driven this yet, my hope is that this vehicle doesn't have an problems, but my gut tells me the owner might have traded it in for this very reason.

Looking at these threads makes me wonder if I should just find a different SUV.
Don't think there is a permanent fix, only temporary

·
Registered
21 Posts
Seems like the later part of this thread relates more to the 2015+ GC. But I own a 2013 3.6 GC Laredo and have been experiencing mainly all the conditions many of you guys have mentioned. My issue dates back as far as 2015 when the shifting issue started.

In 2015 the truck had numerous shifting issues, harsh down shift and up shifts. The dealership performed the "TCM update" but the shifting was still noticeable. I believe I went back a total of 5 times and each time they performed a "TCM update". The problem got progressively worse and worse the harsh shifted led to severe loss of power.

In Aug of 2016 I returned back to the same dealer for severe shift from 2-3. The shift was so harsh that it would cause a cup of water to completely dump out of a solo cup. They test drove the car and said they cannot find anything wrong. I was able to convince the service manager to get a tech out with me for a test drive. Within minutes of driving the car the transmission began to jerk, and he finally agreed something was wrong. They pulled the codes and got 2 codes for gear ratio errors and low fluid. They couldn't explain why a seal unit would go low on fluid. They performed a flush and stated the problem was gone. I take it out of the driveway, jerk was still there. They closed out the W/O and said the car performed as designed.

Once again, the issue progressively got worse to the point where the truck went into LIMP Mode. Symptoms included severe loss of power, slow acceleration from a complete stop (it would take me 30-60 seconds to get the truck up to 10 MPH). On Jan of 2017, the truck went back to the dealer. They replaced the valve body, performed a relearn and claimed the problem was fixed. I pick it up from the dealer; within 25 miles the trucks began to drag ass and went into LIMP mode.

Back to the dealer again. Every time I take it back the service advisor thinks I am crazy because his techs comes back and say they can't find anything. I take the tech out for a drive and again, to his surprise, there is a problem. This time around they believed it was an internal clutch failure and conducted a Group "A" overhaul which included replacing front pump, clutches and pistons.
I get the truck back, now the clutch slips like crazy, the RPM hangs on hard acceleration and an occasion 2-1 jerking.

All the local Jeep dealerships have refused to take the truck in because Chrysler has already paid another dealership for warranty work that involves the same issue.

Sounds like I am SOL. Has anyone been able to successfully Lemon their GC for the transmission problem?

·
Registered
107 Posts
sounds to me like this is software related my 2013 v6 grand cherokee is having a 1-2 shift issue a shudder or chugging and also while under throttle i notice the rpms wont stay steady they will fluctuate 100-200 has anyone had this fixed with trans tuning?

·
Registered
17 Posts
sounds to me like this is software related my 2013 v6 grand cherokee is having a 1-2 shift issue a shudder or chugging and also while under throttle i notice the rpms wont stay steady they will fluctuate 100-200 has anyone had this fixed with trans tuning?
My 11 does this too.... looking for a fix either tuner or taking it in for TSB flash.
In the mean time, i drive it in Sport Mode and it's way better.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Final update on my MY15 GC Ltd with these transmission issues: after 4 transmissions (and 5th valve body) with <20k on the clock, I’d had enough and I lemon lawed the vehicle. I got a lawyer involved and eventually FCA agreed to a buyback. I am convinced that there is no fix for this problem – I think it affects a minority of the vehicles, but if you have it, you have it and you aren’t getting rid of it.

·
Premium Member
GC Limited
736 Posts
Just interested to know, how many owners with the 1-2 shifting issue have the car parked on a slope or have slope in their driveway?
I had the issue when I lived up north with a steep driveway around 30 Deg slope with a level garage at the top. The shift change from 1-2 would only be smooth at or above 45 Deg C or 113. F.
Having moved to a flat level area, its all as smooth as silk even on very cold mornings where the OAT is around 0 Deg C..

221 - 240 of 241 Posts