Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

Audio Build Thread

7K views 23 replies 6 participants last post by  botlfed98 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone,

Since my install is right around the corner I thought I'd start an official build thread. I've sourced some of the equipment already, but most of the parts I intend to buy from the shop that will do the install

Equipment:
Head Unit: Pioneer AVIC Z140BH
Amp: JL HD 900/5
Components: undecided but distilled to the following sets:
- German Maestro SV6509
- Rainbow Germaniums
- Hertz 165 HSK
Sub: custom fiberglass enclosure (where the factory 8" resides). Depending on how much space is available, and how
far out I'll allow them to build, will determine which sub will be used. In order of preference they will attempt to
fit, in this order: 12" IDMAX --> 10" IDMAX --> 12" IDQ --> 10" IDQ

My goal for the build is SQ and a discreet install. I've outgrown my days of SPL level listening, but will turn it up on occasion (usually on the way to the gym because I need the motivation).

I don't have much to share in terms of pictures except for the Pioneer head unit that I received today. My amp should arrive tomorrow and the components will likely be purchased at the local shop.

Thanks for everyone's input and contributions to the forum. I'll update the thread as my install progresses.

Jason

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
I might try to install the HU myself to save some money, but in all honestly I'll probably end up having my local shop install everything. I've installed basic systems before, but that was over 10 years ago on my college car which was a beater in comparison to my jeep. I'm worried my craftsmanship (running wires,e tc.) isn't up to par. My biggest fear is jacking up my interior.

But we'll see, I may give it a go this weekend and see how far I can get. Might be a fun project.

#4 ·
Have the shop install everything, save yourself the headache. Haha. Once I got my jeep apart i felt like crying. The whole garage was literally filled with pieces. Looked like someone blew my jeep up. And that was just the amp and components. After all that I had a shop install the Headunit. So much easier and stress free.

#7 · (Edited)
Today I spent a good amount of time A/B testing several high-end component sets. They were all run off an Image Dynamics class AB amp, and I used a 12” Image Dynamics IDQ sub – I used the sub sparingly, just to get a sense for the full sound spectrum at times. Most of the time I listened to the components without the sub or with it turned way down. I only brought one CD with me which was Katchafire. The songs provided a good mix of vocals, instruments, and other Reggae-esque tones.

The components I demoed were, with MSRP or price I found with basic Google search:
- Arc Audio Black 6.2 - $999
- Focal KR - $700
- Image Dynamics XS-65 - ~$500
- German Maestro SV6509 - $700

The speakers were on a soundboard but the room mimicked a car setup. The speakers were mounted lower to the ground, about where they’d be positioned in a car, and they flanked two leather car seats. It might be hard to envision but suffice to say it was closer to a car setup than 95% of the boards I’ve seen / heard.

All of the components were high-end so you really can’t go wrong with either, but my preference were the German Maestros. Before hearing them I didn't think I’d like them because they use a titanium tweeter and I was looking for a more warm, enveloping sound. But these titanium tweeters weren't harsh at all. As a matter of fact they were smoother than the silk dome tweeters I heard like the Arc Blacks. The tweeter uses a rubber surround, like a full range speaker would, which eliminates those piercing sounds you hear in the higher frequencies. Also, the tweeter can be run full range! Seriously there’s articles on it. You can send a full signal to the tweet and it’ll play the entire frequency. The benefit is that it can player lower than most tweeters. I later listened to the same CD in my Jeep and the highs were really piercing on the Alpine’s. Yuck.

At low to medium volumes the Maestros really shined. They were very articulate and airy sounding. Even my 11 year old daughter, who hates loud music, said the Maestros sounded really good. If you've ever heard really good speakers you’ll get this description: as you turn up the volume the speakers get “bigger” but not necessarily louder. I have a pretty sophisticated home audio system and that’s exactly how they sound. The music gets more dynamic but without the ear fatigue. In comparison the Focals were more ‘in-your-face’, and so were the Arc Blacks. The Image Dynamics I liked the least. They sounded ok but had a ‘smeared’ sound in comparison to the other components. Not a bad set whatsoever, but just not in the same league according to my ears.

So I’m set on the Maestros. In the rear I’ll be using their less expensive CS line (coaxial). Install will be next Saturday. Because the custom box will take 2-3 days to build I’m going to use a temp sub for now. I have a 10” Rockford T2 sub and a 12” IDMAX in my garage collecting dust. I’ll use one of them for now.

#9 ·
Yeah I really liked the Maestros man. They came highly recommended by the shop owner too. He's helped me over the years with my other SUV and I trust him. He's talked me down from buying more expensive products in the past and once charged me less than my quote because the job was easier than expected. Stand up dude. Anyway he said it's probably his favorite set off all the speakers he sells -- mind you I was demoing more expensive sets so he wasn't trying to push an expensive product. I can't wait to get everything installed next week. They are deadening the doors and whole 9 yards. Will definitely take pictures and do a video after it's all said and done.

#12 ·
To install the head unit it was $225, which included connecting all the adapters, installing the mic, and splicing into the existing backup camera wiring. The shop's normal rate is $300 with purchase.

The shop I went to is a little pricier than most shops but they do amazing work. One of their owners was a top 100 installer (can't recall the magazine) and they work on a lot of exotic cars.

#14 · (Edited)
How about a picture of my wallet that overheated? :)

I was supposed to pick up the Jeep today but the PAC adapter I purchased off Amazon was defective so they had to do order a new one and it won't be delivered until tomorrow. Based on my work schedule I may not be able to pick it up until Wednesday.

The two pictures attached aren't much but it's something.

Apparently a keg I had rolling around in the back of my cargo area punctured the casing of the OEM woofer. It was one of those mini 5 gallon kegs. It came out of the cargo net, which normally holds them in place, while I was driving. The outside grill looked unblemished so I didn't know it cracked it until they took the shell off.

The other picture is a bit blurry but it shows them applying sound deadening to the back wall where the new sub will reside.

On Saturday (day 2 of the install) the shop said the install was coming along very nicely...with the exception of the defective PAC adapter. Ugh, can't wait to get her back.

Attachments

#16 ·
haha...as a local boy there would be a good chance that Heineken was the beer of choice. Actually for beer selection more than likely it was a local brew (Ballast Point, Karl Strauss, etc.) -- I've been cycling through different local brews lately.

#17 ·
Quick update. I picked up my Jeep last night. I haven't had a chance to do extensive listening yet as I've been super busy but wanted to post a few thoughts. Will get some pictures up soon.

The craftsmanship of the install is superb. The sub looks factory, the amp was installed in the tire well but accessible through the back seat area (completely hidden), and other than the new grills on the tweeters everything looks factor. Couldn't be more happy with the appearance of the install. It's exactly what I was looking for.

Ran into a couple of technical issues with the install. The PAC adapter doesn't seem to be working properly. The first adapter was faulty, and the replacement one is wonky too. Every so often when you hit the up or down button it'll turn either all the way up or all the way down. The upside is I now know the max volume on my head unit is 40 (ouch). I needed my Jeep so I told them I'd try it out and bring it back in if needed. They are an authorized PAC dealer and contacted their tech support so I'm not sure what's going on.

The other issue I ran into is the head unit. After inserting a CD the face plate won't go back to it's flush position. I have to hit the 'tilt' key while lightly pressing on the on bottom of the face plate to guide it back in.

I also need to check out the settings on the sub today. It puts out crazy output but can sound boomy at times. I think one of the settings might be off.

The German Maestros sound amazing. Great detail, nice mid bass, and a smooth top end. Really liking the speakers so far.

So a little bit of good and bad and I'm sure I'll get these things ironed out. Will try to get some pictures up this afternoon and will provide updates on the issues.

#18 ·
That's not half bad considering everything i ran into. Check to see if the faceplate is not binding on any of the surrounding surfaces. Mine was hitting on the bottom and face would not fully go in. A little adjusting of the Headunit and evrything is fine now. Every so often my backup camera will stay on even when in drive which makes me believe its the PAC adapter. Not sure i trust these things but what can we do?? I just put it in reverse again then back in drive and it goes off. Are you still using the factory center speaker and rear pod speakers?

#22 ·
I figured out my sub problem. It was sounding boomy (bottoming out) and peaky (low notes would hit hard but not much in the upper region).

The removable outer sub grill doesn't provide enough clearance so the sub was hitting the grill on higher volumes. That was making the 'bottoming out' sound I was hearing. I took the grill off and the problem is gone. As for the peaky sound, it was the x-over. With the subsonic filter "on" set to 30 hertz and the LPF set at 60 hertz, I was getting a band passed signal between 30-60 hertz. Also the x-over slope was set to 24db so there was a steep roll off at 60 hertz. With my x-over on my speakers set at 80 hertz, I had a hole in the frequency range from 60-80 hertz. I upped the x-over to 80 and it made a world of difference. Now the bass transitions nicely between the German Maestros and sub.

With these changes the sub hits hard (chest pounding) and with great authority on the low end. Loving how it sounds. It blends much better with the mids. Before I could localize the sound coming from the back....no more.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.