Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone had issues with the v6 diesel motor?

Lost oil pressure and car shut down on the side of the freeway and wont start now.

After sropping i noticed smoke coming from engine bay and leaking a small amount of oil.

Doesnt look like a rod has gone through the block as not huge amounts of oil but had to get towed to a mechanic.

Have to wait till tuesday before it can be looked at, has anyone had something similar happen?

70,000klm my14 Grand Cherokee.

·
Premium Member
2014 Grand Cherokee 3.6L
767 Posts
Did they determine the location of the oil leak/cause?

·
Registered
2014 GC Summit
57 Posts
Sorry to hear about that.
Please keep us informed as things progress!

What year and how many miles? All stock or tuned?

What would happen if the oil pump quits? Still be oil in the pan, but not circulating and therefore seize?
Excuse my ignorance...

·
Premium Member
4,153 Posts

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry to hear about that.
Please keep us informed as things progress!

What year and how many miles? All stock or tuned?

What would happen if the oil pump quits? Still be oil in the pan, but not circulating and therefore seize?
Excuse my ignorance...
All Standard, all services done as per logbook. Last one was actually done early but a few thousand klms ago.
They tried to turn the motor over by hand and it wont turn.
Friend suggested it might be the bearing issues and the change in oil specs.

·
Registered
JGC Overland
2,772 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,153 Posts
That was what they were getting in the US on the RAM trucks, and what caused the change to oil spec, as per Barboots post above.
Do you know what oil spec was put in during the last couple of services?

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That was what they were getting in the US on the RAM trucks, and what caused the change to oil spec, as per Barboots post above.
Do you know what oil spec was put in during the last couple of services?
I am not sure. I did get a summary of all the work done on the car however not sure it lists the parts.
Will have to check when home Friday.

Did you supply oil for Suttons at Waitara or get them to use there own?

·
Premium Member
4,153 Posts
Suttons was their own, only just started supplying with the last service, which was at Narellan.
From memory, Suttons was Valvoline, but I can't be sure, and no idea about the spec, getting info out of them was like blood from a stone, so happy to be finished with them.

·
Registered
JGC Overland
2,772 Posts
I found the conjecture on the Ram forum as to whether the different oil spec would in fact change the main bearing oil film thickness quite interesting. It's worth a read (scan) over the whole thread if you have a bit of spare time.

I forget... did anyone receive formal advice to change oil spec? My last contact with the dealer indicated there was no change for my 2014 build.

Cheers, Steve

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I am not sure. I did get a summary of all the work done on the car however not sure it lists the parts.
Will have to check when home Friday.

Did you supply oil for Suttons at Waitara or get them to use there own?
Summary says 10w30 on last service, prior it said "Diesel Engine Oil"

·
Premium Member
4,153 Posts
I forget... did anyone receive formal advice to change oil spec? My last contact with the dealer indicated there was no change for my 2014 build.

Cheers, Steve
I got a call form Jeep Aus to say it should be 5W40. They were told by the Jeep dealer in Melbourne CBD.

9th version of 2014 Diesel Supplement says:

"We recommend you use 5W-40 synthetic engine oil such as MOPAR or Shell Rotella that meets FCA Material Standard MS-10902 and the API CJ-4 or ACEA E9/E7 or ACEA A3/B4 engine oil category is required."

And from the oil thread:

Except for the TSB 1808716

NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles built on or before June 30, 2016 (MMDDHH
0630XX) and equipped with a 3.0L Diesel Engine (Sales Code EXF).

:thumbsup:

NB: new Service Manager at my dealer knew nothing about this, so I left him with a copy and he was going to get back to me. That was late September, thankfully I'm not holding my breath ;-)

"OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves reprogramming the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) and the Transmission Control Module (TCM). It also involves changing the engine oil with new
5W40 engine oil and applying a sticker to the engine oil filler cap. An addendum card will need to be added in the Owner's Manual."

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,153 Posts
Summary says 10w30 on last service, prior it said "Diesel Engine Oil"
Am I wrong or has 10W30 never been an accepted spec?
Originally 5W30 and now 5W40, never 10W30.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts