Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

Australian 2014 GC with DAB

95K views 282 replies 54 participants last post by  garyl1954 
#1 ·
Hi,

Just took delivery of a GC 2014 CRD and the radio has DAB. Unfortunately the DAB doesn't work, presumably because in Oz we use DAB+ ? Anyone have further insights into this ? Can it be upgraded to DAB+ ? Should Jeep have configured it as DAB+ - is it a software thing ?

thanks,
Seedar.

#2 ·
The radio does not have DAB, the hardware is not there. Occasionally people are seeing a DAB button, usually for a day or so after a firmware update, then it goes away.

#4 ·
Very odd, but there is no DAB hardware in Export GC's, it is a Nth America only spec.
If you wan't the DAB icon gone to stop it from taunting you, then can try system reboot or reset:

Uconnect Reboot

Hold Mute and Tune buttons for reboot.
This makes no changes to your settings, it is just a reboot procedure.

Factory reset: Hold temp up and down buttons to access engineering menu.
This will wipe all of your personal settings and take it back to factory default. It will also load with the SRT and take several minutes to hours before it will look the same as it did before.

If that fails, the installing the Uconnect firmware yourself, 14.22.13 is the latest version.
If this isn't what you have, you can download it from the Ucoonect site - https://rsur.extra.chrysler.com/rsur/Uconnect.do

Reactions: DrSpeed
#5 ·
Thanks for the info, I have gone into the engineering menu before and that has no impact - didn't realise that merely by entering the engineering menu all personal settings are lost - is that what you are saying ?

I will try a reboot and see what that does. I have taken screen dumps of all the screens where DAB shows up if there's any use seeing them ?

cheers,
Seedar.

#8 ·
didn't realise that merely by entering the engineering menu all personal settings are lost - is that what you are saying ?
No, only when you do an engineering reset.
What firmware version do you have?

#7 ·
So I did a reboot, it restarted and the DAB button was gone.....

.....For a few seconds, then it appeared again, back just as it was as though it rebooted without it and then detected the hardware and added the DAB button.

Curious !

Seedar.

#17 ·
I have an Overland my15 and the DAB capability works well, at least it did in Adelaide. I was told by the sales guy that this was an added feature with the my15 models.

#20 ·
#21 ·
I can get DAB in mine (Perth metro), have a problem though -

Stations (Smooth FM tested so far) will drop out and not reconnect, If I change to anoth DAB station then back to Smooth FM, it will come back. It's happened many times, even when the car is stationary.

I can understand the signal being weak causing the drop out in the first place, but as I'm able to get it working again by flipping stations that doesn't make sense.

Only thing I could think of was some trickery in the DAB causes the receiver circuitry to be more resilient to a weak signal on first arrival. Any thoughts or other people having this issue?

#22 ·
Kizz302

I have DAB in my 2 week old Summit in the UK. my DAB drops out for no reason too and in areas of strong signal that my previous Range Rover had no problems with.

A Uconnect firmware issue maybe?

What's that in old money

Jeep Grand Cherokee 2015 Summit (on order) now arrived

#23 ·
Hi Heyloft,

thanks for the reply, I had mine in for it's 1,000Km service yesterday, the dealer performed some sort of update and said the problem still exists and have logged a tech request with Jeep. I'll keep you posted on what they come up with, not expecting anything in the short term from them however.

Must say though, after around 15 mins of driving last night and an hour driving today, it only dropped out once and recovered straight away, previously it required a station change to get it working again.

Reading a bit on DAB, sounds like most DAB stations are transmitted on the one frequency and the radio itself 'takes' the selected station data from the digital stream, I discovered there are two different transmitters here in Perth so tried it with stations on both, got the same result which leads me to believe it's a radio/Uconnect problem.

For reference, my Uconnect version is 14.24.11 both before and after the service. Don't know how Uconnect updates work but I would have thought if they updated something within the radio, it would at least change the minor release number

#26 ·
Thanks Heyloft, I suspect there may be difference between the UK and Aussie version, could also be a difference between the models, mine a Larado so sat nav doesn't exist (although it appears like it could be purchased as an option via software download and/or a licence key)

Any change to your reception with the new version?

Another approx. two hours of use for a total of three hours after the dealer updated and no dropouts for me so far. Previously it would be every few mins.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.