Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

801 - 820 of 859 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Re: Australian MY15 KL Cherokee thread

Just joined and a bit unsure about how to post so lets see what happens.
I have a new MY15 Cherokee Limited 2L Turbo Diesel 4x4 with low range. Whilst car is primarily for on road wanted to be able to drive ahead on easy/medium 4WD tracks - you know how the ad goes "don't hold back!".
Well found out vehicle has no front or rear recovery points and can't even join a local jeep club without these. Spoke to Jeep and they simply reply "the car doesn't have these", er doh! I already know this
any thoughts out there?
Hi mate, I've just joined too -- specifically to respond to your post. I also have a Limited diesel (on order -- currently on a boat somewhere in the middle of the Pacific) and have been interested in what is or would be an appropriate recovery point for the vehicle. I love the look of the red tow hooks on the Trailhawk, but a diesel engine was more important to me.

Anyway, what I've discovered so far is that there's a Mopar part #68159287AB (just search on the website of any Mopar retailer), which is a red tow hook for non-Trailhawk Cherokees. From what I understand, this hook screws into a mounting point behind the bumper, and with email enquiries I've been told by a couple of Mopar retailers that it's rated to 1.5 times the weight of the vehicle. I have no idea whether that load rating would constitute an acceptable recovery point, or indeed how it compares to the load rating of the Trailhawk tow hook (which incidentally is WAY more expensive), but it's a start.

I hope this helps at least somewhat. If anyone has any further information, I'd be interested to hear it. Cheers.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks Scar, yes it certainly looks like a recovery point. Jeep told me that the red trailhawk hooks don't fit without cutting the bumper bars to bits. Jeep also told me that there are no Jeep hooks to fit. is MOPAR an after market dealer or part of Jeep?
I will pass this info on to my Jeep dealer and let you know.
I note the part description says front so not sure about rear, but thought I might fit a Mopar heavy duty tow bar as a recovery point but these are more expensive.
PS I really love the car, I'm sure you will to. The transmission is a little rough in lower gears but am told this will improve as software learns. On the open road it is just fantastic and I know it will be very economical. Will drive Melb to Brissy soon so am quite excited about it.

·
Premium Member
1,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #803
I haven't been following this thread lately but welcome to JG Scar and JCLIM. :)

Glad that you are enjoying your KL's. :)

With regards to the TH hooks, can't help with that but I did find this thread on another one of the forums that a few of us Aussie owners frequent.

It might help - not sure but here's the link for you to peruse.

tow hooks on non TH - 2014 - 2015 Jeep Cherokee Forums

·
Registered
65 Posts
PS I really love the car, I'm sure you will to. The transmission is a little rough in lower gears but am told this will improve as software learns. On the open road it is just fantastic and I know it will be very economical. Will drive Melb to Brissy soon so am quite excited about it.
Sigh - after spending 10k in the car now, the 2>3 change is something that irritates. The other changes can be smooth as silk but that change is like it uses a different transmission sometimes. Hopefully another software update will do something...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks Scar, yes it certainly looks like a recovery point. Jeep told me that the red trailhawk hooks don't fit without cutting the bumper bars to bits. Jeep also told me that there are no Jeep hooks to fit. is MOPAR an after market dealer or part of Jeep?
I will pass this info on to my Jeep dealer and let you know.
Yeah mate, that would be right. If you have a look at the Trailhawk tow hook (part # 68140285AA), it's quite different (and a lot more expensive) and requires more bolts and brackets to install. Whereas the non-Trailhawk tow hook would appear to just screw in to a single threaded hole. Perhaps you could check out your front and rear bumpers and let us know if that threaded hole exists? I think there will be some 'circles' in the front and rear bodywork that will pop out to reveal the hole. I also read something last night that suggested the tool kit in your car (presumably next to the spare tyre) already has a threaded recovery hook included (just a basic steel one, not the fancy red one). Does your car have this?

Oh, and yes -- Mopar is part of Jeep (well, part of Fiat Chrysler). So we're talking genuine factory parts.

SJandL -- Thanks for the welcome and the link. I remember seeing that thread a little while ago. An interesting read!

·
Registered
Laredo
664 Posts
Whereas the non-Trailhawk tow hook would appear to just screw in to a single threaded hole. Perhaps you could check out your front and rear bumpers and let us know if that threaded hole exists? I think there will be some 'circles' in the front and rear bodywork that will pop out to reveal the hole. I also read something last night that suggested the tool kit in your car (presumably next to the spare tyre) already has a threaded recovery hook included (just a basic steel one, not the fancy red one). Does your car have this?
You will find that the hook you descibed is not rated for offroad recovery situations. It will likely have a sticker stating this.

·
Registered
32 Posts
hey guys!!!

so i just got back from my road trip to Melbourne

and omg this car is simply amazing

it is a joy to drive, on the long straight highways i felt like the car was driving itself by using the adaptive cruise and lanesense

i took a drip down to the 12 apostles while in Melbourne and the car around the bends on the great ocean road was simply stunning it felt grippy, i even threw it into sports mode for a bit when there was no traffic, and it was Great!!

Loving the car!!!!

it now has 3600ks on it and climbing

AN update about my previous post with the dealership, i am still yet to hear anything. i received no phone call from the general manager after calling twice and leaving emails, My father went into the dealership while i was away for me to see the general manager, he wasn't there so he spoke to someone who would pass on all my info to some representative who said they would call me and i am still yet to hear anything.........

·
Registered
Cherokee Limited
26 Posts
Just got an email from the dealer. They've got the Jeep Cherokee Blackhawk version. Guessing it's blacked out wheels, and chrome bits. Anything extra? Or that's it? (Asking the Grand Cherokee Blackhawk owners, as they don't have any other info)

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee Black
827 Posts
Just got an email from the dealer. They've got the Jeep Cherokee Blackhawk version. Guessing it's blacked out wheels, and chrome bits. Anything extra? Or that's it? (Asking the Grand Cherokee Blackhawk owners, as they don't have any other info)

Log onto jeep site all the details are on their.

Hutch- 2014 GC Blackhawk CRD...Feel the Power...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Bearing in mind I'm new to the Jeep 'world', but has anyone had dealings with any of the US-based Mopar retailers and found their customer service to be, shall we say, underwhelming...?

Case in point -- I'm interested in purchasing the Trailhawk wheels to put on my diesel Cherokee limited. I know there are two versions of the Trailhawk wheel: one silver (the standard wheel) and one black (not available in Australia, but it's the same pattern). When you look up the part numbers, it doesn't tell you the colour of the wheel -- just shows you a picture of the shape.

I emailed three separate Mopar retailers to ask which part number was which. First reply was "they are different colours" (yes, but which one is which?!), second reply was "please supply your VIN so we can look into this" (why does my VIN make a difference to the colour of the wheels?!), and third reply was "one wheel matches your VIN and the other one doesn't" (how would you know when I didn't tell you my VIN?!). So, three emails, three replies, and I'm still none the wiser.

Is this a common type of frustration?

·
Registered
Laredo
664 Posts
Yes it is, because what they are used to doing is when ordering parts they want to ensure they give you the right part by checking it against your vehicles VIN.

I experienced the same issue when trying to purchase a Limited chrome facia for my Laredo.

Hopefully you can just find the exact part number to give them. Even still they'll ask your VIN and try to tell you those wheels won't fit.

·
Premium Member
4,080 Posts
Product Safety Recalls Australia

FCA Australia Pty Ltd—2014 - 2015 Jeep Cherokee KL Longitude, Limited and Trailhawks

PRA number: 2015/14852
Date published: 5th August 2015

Product information

Product description

2014 - 2015 Jeep Cherokee KL Longitude, Limited and Trailhawks only (excludes sport)

Identifying features
R27

What are the defects?
The power liftgate control module on your vehicle may experience a corrosion induced high resistance short circuit in the power liftgate control module electrical connector(s).

What are the hazards?
The power liftgate control module electrical connector(s) could allow water intrusion and cause the module to become inoperative and/or cause a fire.
Where the product was sold

Nationally

Traders who sold this product
Authorised Jeep dealerships

Supplier
FCA Australia Pty Ltd

Supplier's web site
Fiat Chrysler Australia

What should consumers do?
FCA Australia will notify affected vehicle owners. Owners can take their vehicle to a Jeep dealership whereby the dealer will remedy the issue.

Advertisements and supporting documentation
R27 Vin list.pdf (217.1 KB)

·
Registered
Tech,Conv & Luxury
100 Posts
Us neither, but we're going in tomorrow because the engine light has been going on and off constantly for the last week or so - our local Jeep dealer at Nunawading have to be most un-reactive, couldn't-care-less type of people, so we're going to service at another dealer once this is fixed (and our driveshaft, which is causing the wobble).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Cherokee MY15 2L diesel
Just back from 4050 kms round trip, Melbourne-Sydney-Melbourne in 2 week
Car went incredibly well, just a dream drive on the open road.
5.9L/100k, yes thats correct, almost the published 5.8
Transmission still jerky around town, was told needed to do min 7000 kms for it to fix itself, now done 8000 kms, hoping 6m service can fix this
Still no solution for recovery points, so disappointing that I can't venture off road yet.

·
Registered
Tech,Conv & Luxury
100 Posts
Well our car's in at Nunawading Jeep for a second day, we found out - because they're replacing the transmission ! Normally I'd baulk at that, but when you have the 'wobble' and they know about it, it got escalated to a STAR case (or whatever it's referred to here) and so we'll have (here's hoping) a wobble free car.

Funny, service is due in another 700 km's :)

·
Premium Member
1,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #818
Well our car's in at Nunawading Jeep for a second day, we found out - because they're replacing the transmission ! Normally I'd baulk at that, but when you have the 'wobble' and they know about it, it got escalated to a STAR case (or whatever it's referred to here) and so we'll have (here's hoping) a wobble free car.

Funny, service is due in another 700 km's :)
Excellent PJ. Glad it's being sorted for you. Reading on the KL forum, the replacement tranny will set you right so here's to many more Km's travelling wobble-free.

Keep us updated.

·
Registered
Cherokee Limited
26 Posts
Just realised that there's some liquid (possibly water) dripping on my exhaust, when I stop the car. No idea what it is, but guessing it is condensation from the AC?

Only reason I realised it was happening was because it was making a sizzling sound when it hit the hot exhaust.

Anyone have any ideas? Gonna get them to look at it when I take the car in when I can.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKnhKRm0I3k

·
Registered
95 Posts
Hi all...been overseas for a few months and got back a few weeks ago...so I haven't been on much lately.

Update on my car
18000 on the clock 2 false low tyre warnings in the last few weeks and now the engine light on... It took a week or so to get into the service centre, oil pressure sender was faulty (showing low). I'm amused because for me the car should hard stop if the sender says low pressure... anyhow City Jeep had no spares so I'm taking it back in a few weeks.
They showed me the recall notice (which arrived in the mail same day) - no spares for that either.
I've had a major whinge about the tranny which I feel is still wrong after a re-learn before my holiday... they will take it for a few days and look again.

801 - 820 of 859 Posts