Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have been experiencing substantial flakiness in my 2019 Trailhawk's auto high-beam assist feature. It simply won't turn on the high beams when it most definitely should be. No other lights around, either car or on along the side of the road. I have brought it back to the dealership, but they are taking the position "no code, no fix". And, of course, it never does it in their presence. Is this feature controlled by the camera on the windshield? Is it possible that camera could be the cause of the issue? What other systems does that camera tie into? ACC (which my GC has) and AEB? If those systems are working correctly, I can't imagine why the high beam assist feature wouldn't work -- assuming it is controlled by the camera.

Thanks for any insight!

·
Registered
2015 WK2 Overland
1,168 Posts
In my 2015 it is controlled by the camera hanging off the review mirror. It's separate from the other systems. I'm unsure if that's been changed over the years or different with ACC cars. Mine it's unreliable at best at dipping the full beams so I just turned it off and do it the old fashioned way.

·
Registered
995 Posts
I have a similar issue with the auto high beam setting.
It does turn the brights off reliably for approaching vehicles or when it detects a stop sign.
Although sometimes it'll turn the brights off way too early for a car two miles in the distance.

The real problem is it has to be dark and i mean really dark before it switches the brights on.

As IamTodd said, I also solved the problem by disabling the auto brights in setup and went back to the old school method of turning the brights on/off.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Very interesting responses. Seems like there may not be a problem with my vehicle specifically and more of an issue with either the hardware (sensor) or the algorithm being used. I suppose we should be thankful that FCA exposed the option to turn off this feature and fall back to the old way. I just grew to really liking the auto high-beam assist feature since I drive on a lot of curvy country roads at night. Cars can pop up suddenly and it's nice to have them turn off faster than I can react and then have them come back on automatically.

One other thing: have either of you found that the presence of fog messes with the auto high beam assist feature as well?

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
Very interesting responses. Seems like there may not be a problem with my vehicle specifically and more of an issue with either the hardware (sensor) or the algorithm being used. I suppose we should be thankful that FCA exposed the option to turn off this feature and fall back to the old way. I just grew to really liking the auto high-beam assist feature since I drive on a lot of curvy country roads at night. Cars can pop up suddenly and it's nice to have them turn off faster than I can react and then have them come back on automatically.

One other thing: have either of you found that the presence of fog messes with the auto high beam assist feature as well?

Do you see the message "Auto-High Beams Enabled" in the EVIC when the low beam headlights come on?
Do you have the headlight switch set to the Auto position?

I\m curious how the dealer tested it since you also need to be driving at least 22 MPH with it dark outside the vehicle
for the high beams to come on.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do you see the message "Auto-High Beams Enabled" in the EVIC when the low beam headlights come on?
Do you have the headlight switch set to the Auto position?

I\m curious how the dealer tested it since you also need to be driving at least 22 MPH with it dark outside the vehicle
for the high beams to come on.
Yes, I see the message on the EVIC stating that the auto high-beam feature is enabled. I authorized the dealer to keep the vehicle overnight. The shop foreman drove it home that night and tested it that evening and in the following morning. The issue did not come up during his testing. They also looked for any DTC codes; nothing showed up. Thus, "no code, no fix". For their part, I can understand the difficultly working with an intermittent problem like this. Conditions have to be such that the failure happens and duplicating those conditions is tough to do. I asked at the start of this thread about what sensor this system uses when determining light levels to turn the high beams on and off with. Was it the camera on the windshield? Or is it the sensor on the forward-facing portion of the rear-view mirror, which seems to he be prevailing thought here. Perhaps too much light is entering the sensor? That would appear to fit the symptoms.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts