Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have been experiencing substantial flakiness in my 2019 Trailhawk's auto high-beam assist feature. It simply won't turn on the high beams when it most definitely should be. No other lights around, either car or on along the side of the road. I have brought it back to the dealership, but they are taking the position "no code, no fix". And, of course, it never does it in their presence. Is this feature controlled by the camera on the windshield? Is it possible that camera could be the cause of the issue? What other systems does that camera tie into? ACC (which my GC has) and AEB? If those systems are working correctly, I can't imagine why the high beam assist feature wouldn't work -- assuming it is controlled by the camera.

Thanks for any insight!

·
Registered
2015 WK2 Overland
1,260 Posts
In my 2015 it is controlled by the camera hanging off the review mirror. It's separate from the other systems. I'm unsure if that's been changed over the years or different with ACC cars. Mine it's unreliable at best at dipping the full beams so I just turned it off and do it the old fashioned way.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
I have a similar issue with the auto high beam setting.
It does turn the brights off reliably for approaching vehicles or when it detects a stop sign.
Although sometimes it'll turn the brights off way too early for a car two miles in the distance.

The real problem is it has to be dark and i mean really dark before it switches the brights on.

As IamTodd said, I also solved the problem by disabling the auto brights in setup and went back to the old school method of turning the brights on/off.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Very interesting responses. Seems like there may not be a problem with my vehicle specifically and more of an issue with either the hardware (sensor) or the algorithm being used. I suppose we should be thankful that FCA exposed the option to turn off this feature and fall back to the old way. I just grew to really liking the auto high-beam assist feature since I drive on a lot of curvy country roads at night. Cars can pop up suddenly and it's nice to have them turn off faster than I can react and then have them come back on automatically.

One other thing: have either of you found that the presence of fog messes with the auto high beam assist feature as well?

·
Premium Member
316 Posts
Very interesting responses. Seems like there may not be a problem with my vehicle specifically and more of an issue with either the hardware (sensor) or the algorithm being used. I suppose we should be thankful that FCA exposed the option to turn off this feature and fall back to the old way. I just grew to really liking the auto high-beam assist feature since I drive on a lot of curvy country roads at night. Cars can pop up suddenly and it's nice to have them turn off faster than I can react and then have them come back on automatically.

One other thing: have either of you found that the presence of fog messes with the auto high beam assist feature as well?

Do you see the message "Auto-High Beams Enabled" in the EVIC when the low beam headlights come on?
Do you have the headlight switch set to the Auto position?

I\m curious how the dealer tested it since you also need to be driving at least 22 MPH with it dark outside the vehicle
for the high beams to come on.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do you see the message "Auto-High Beams Enabled" in the EVIC when the low beam headlights come on?
Do you have the headlight switch set to the Auto position?

I\m curious how the dealer tested it since you also need to be driving at least 22 MPH with it dark outside the vehicle
for the high beams to come on.
Yes, I see the message on the EVIC stating that the auto high-beam feature is enabled. I authorized the dealer to keep the vehicle overnight. The shop foreman drove it home that night and tested it that evening and in the following morning. The issue did not come up during his testing. They also looked for any DTC codes; nothing showed up. Thus, "no code, no fix". For their part, I can understand the difficultly working with an intermittent problem like this. Conditions have to be such that the failure happens and duplicating those conditions is tough to do. I asked at the start of this thread about what sensor this system uses when determining light levels to turn the high beams on and off with. Was it the camera on the windshield? Or is it the sensor on the forward-facing portion of the rear-view mirror, which seems to he be prevailing thought here. Perhaps too much light is entering the sensor? That would appear to fit the symptoms.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello,

I have been experiencing substantial flakiness in my 2019 Trailhawk's auto high-beam assist feature. It simply won't turn on the high beams when it most definitely should be. No other lights around, either car or on along the side of the road. I have brought it back to the dealership, but they are taking the position "no code, no fix". And, of course, it never does it in their presence. Is this feature controlled by the camera on the windshield? Is it possible that camera could be the cause of the issue? What other systems does that camera tie into? ACC (which my GC has) and AEB? If those systems are working correctly, I can't imagine why the high beam assist feature wouldn't work -- assuming it is controlled by the camera.

Thanks for any insight!
Hello,

Thanks for any insight!
try to reset the Uconnect system.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Yes, I see the message on the EVIC stating that the auto high-beam feature is enabled. I authorized the dealer to keep the vehicle overnight. The shop foreman drove it home that night and tested it that evening and in the following morning. The issue did not come up during his testing. They also looked for any DTC codes; nothing showed up. Thus, "no code, no fix". For their part, I can understand the difficultly working with an intermittent problem like this. Conditions have to be such that the failure happens and duplicating those conditions is tough to do. I asked at the start of this thread about what sensor this system uses when determining light levels to turn the high beams on and off with. Was it the camera on the windshield? Or is it the sensor on the forward-facing portion of the rear-view mirror, which seems to he be prevailing thought here. Perhaps too much light is entering the sensor? That would appear to fit the symptoms.
At least a couple of us here have experienced similar problems you are encountering with the auto dims.
Might be ok for some but not functionally good enough in my case.

I'm afraid its the nature of this yet another high tech beast. This beast being the auto dims.
The best you can try is keeping the windshield and the front of the rear view mirror clean if indeed thats where the light sensor is located.
At this point i have no clue where that auto dim light sensor is located nor do i care.
But my guess would be in the RV mirror assembly.

My 3 other vehicles have old school manual dims so i'm used to that setting on my GC.
This is one feature i would not have paid for knowing what i know now.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hello,

Thanks for any insight!
Hey WildBTK,
I have a 2019 Limited X without this option and like to see if i can add it. I have the ACC and lane sense stuff too and like to see if i have the same Forward Facing camera as someone who has this option because I believe that's what it uses for this. I'm interested in the part number of your camera to see if its the same as mine. My cameras part number is 4672777AA...If you would look behind the rear view cover and see what the part number is for yours I would appreciated it. I don't believe yours will have the photo eye attached to the rear view but if it does that would be good to know too...

·
Registered
69 Posts
Please don't do anything your uncomfortable doing.
The cover just pops off. Here's a video of a similar type
The cover is attached by tabs that pull apart..See the attached pics of mine.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Sorry, I keep forgetting to do it. I will get to it. You just need to know the P/N on that module pictured above in the last photo, right?
Yes and possably a pic of the same angle and if your jeep has a photo sensor on back of the rearview. There is some confusion for me as to what actuall works auto high beams on the newer models that have ACC and lane assist. The dealer mentioned id need a photo sensor on the back of the rearview but i believe it uses the same sensor and camera that it does for the acc and lane assist. Yes ultimately id like the part number for the FFC to see if it matches what i have..Thank You

·
Registered
818 Posts
The only thing auto high beam uses is the camera at the back of the mirror...nothing else. Also, it doesn't function below 20 or 25 mph. Btw, mine works great (as it also did on my previous 2016 GC Summit).

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The only thing auto high beam uses is the camera at the back of the mirror...nothing else. Also, it doesn't function below 20 or 25 mph. Btw, mine works great (as it also did on my previous 2016 GC Summit).
My is extremely flaky. Just last night, driving down a dark rural road, it was working just fine. Then a car came, it turned off. Fine. Car passed, it never turned itself back on, despite switching the high beam lever on and off multiple times. EVIC confirmed they assist feature was on, but the headlights never went bright. Then, after a mile or two of only on low beams, they randomly turned high again. The dealership has been useless in helping out as it works just fine for them and there are no codes reported. "Working normal" (standard dealership response). I suspect either a crappy algorithm for AHBA or a bad sensor. Seems like others have reported having intermittent behavior as well, so I don't know where the problem is.

It's also not clear what sensor is used. In some cases, it seems to be something on the mirror itself or in others it is tied in with the camera used for ACC.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hey DriverDave, what year is that SRT? Does your jeep use the forward facing camera or is there a photo eye mounted on the back of the rear view mirror?

·
Registered
818 Posts
There is no camera for the ACC/FCW that I'm aware of. That big sensor down low in the bumper is a Doppler Radar for those two systems. I have heard conflicting reports that the ACC/FCW also uses the camera, but I'm not sure that it does. Just to confirm, behind the mirror up against the glass, are the camera for the auto high beam/lane departure, and the rain sensor. That small, white sensor on the back of the mirror itself does appear to be a light sensor, but it might only be tied to the auto-on headlights, since there is only one sensor "nub" on the dash (right next to the center speaker), which is the solar intensity sensor for the auto climate control. (I've had several cars with 2 "nubs" on the dash that were the solar HVAC sensor, and the photo light sensor for auto-on headlights.)

The auto high beam has to use an actual camera and not just a light sensor, because it sees the red taillights of a vehicle in front of you, and dims the lights accordingly.

BTW, that camera is very sensitive to accurate calibration (many people have found this out when getting new windshields put in). I would think re-calibrating would be the first thing the dealer would do when getting any auto high beam complaints.

WildBTK, I just remembered that I was on a rural, nighttime road trip earlier in the year where mine did the same thing...high beam wouldn't come back on after passing a car. I think I disabled it in the Uconnect, so I could still use it manually until my next stop. After that, I turned it back on and it worked fine from then on.

Chazz, my SRT is a 2018.

·
Registered
69 Posts
There is no camera for the ACC/FCW that I'm aware of. That big sensor down low in the bumper is a Doppler Radar for those two systems. I have heard conflicting reports that the ACC/FCW also uses the camera, but I'm not sure that it does. Just to confirm, behind the mirror up against the glass, are the camera for the auto high beam/lane departure, and the rain sensor. That small, white sensor on the back of the mirror itself does appear to be a light sensor, but it might only be tied to the auto-on headlights, since there is only one sensor "nub" on the dash (right next to the center speaker), which is the solar intensity sensor for the auto climate control. (I've had several cars with 2 "nubs" on the dash that were the solar HVAC sensor, and the photo light sensor for auto-on headlights.)

The auto high beam has to use an actual camera and not just a light sensor, because it sees the red taillights of a vehicle in front of you, and dims the lights accordingly.

BTW, that camera is very sensitive to accurate calibration (many people have found this out when getting new windshields put in). I would think re-calibrating would be the first thing the dealer would do when getting any auto high beam complaints.

WildBTK, I just remembered that I was on a rural, nighttime road trip earlier in the year where mine did the same thing...high beam wouldn't come back on after passing a car. I think I disabled it in the Uconnect, so I could still use it manually until my next stop. After that, I turned it back on and it worked fine from then on.

Chazz, my SRT is a 2018.
Yes being that yours is a 2018 I don't believe it has the photo eye that is attached to the back of the rear view mirror that is pictured on the first post here https://www.jeepgarage.org/threads/diy-install-enable-automatic-high-beams.210195/ and it uses that camera that is up against the glass to the right of the rear view. Can you pop off the cover on the rearview and get me the get me the part number for your camera?

·
Registered
818 Posts
Mine does have that "photo eye" you're talking about. That's why I mentioned it in my previous post.
I'm pretty sure they all use the same camera.

I just went back and checked your first post...I'm surprised yours has Land Departure, but not Auto High Beam, as I'm pretty sure they use the same camera. My previous 2016 Summit had the same camera, with Auto High Beam, but did not have Lane Departure.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts