Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
BTW, that camera is very sensitive to accurate calibration (many people have found this out when getting new windshields put in). I would think re-calibrating would be the first thing the dealer would do when getting any auto high beam complaints.

WildBTK, I just remembered that I was on a rural, nighttime road trip earlier in the year where mine did the same thing...high beam wouldn't come back on after passing a car. I think I disabled it in the Uconnect, so I could still use it manually until my next stop. After that, I turned it back on and it worked fine from then on.
Very interesting observation about the calibration. The dealership will continue to be worthless and likely not even try a calibration, but that might explain the random behavior I am seeing.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Mine does have that "photo eye" you're talking about. That's why I mentioned it in my previous post.
I'm pretty sure they all use the same camera.

I just went back and checked your first post...I'm surprised yours has Land Departure, but not Auto High Beam, as I'm pretty sure they use the same camera. My previous 2016 Summit had the same camera, with Auto High Beam, but did not have Lane Departure.
So we're on the same page your saying yours has this photo cell?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Mine does have that "photo eye" you're talking about. That's why I mentioned it in my previous post.
I'm pretty sure they all use the same camera.

I just went back and checked your first post...I'm surprised yours has Land Departure, but not Auto High Beam, as I'm pretty sure they use the same camera. My previous 2016 Summit had the same camera, with Auto High Beam, but did not have Lane Departure.
im surprised too...That's why i want to see the part number of the camera of a person that has it to see if i have the same (correct) camera (the forward facing one glued to the back of the windshield). If I do I will add this option with Alfaobd and wait until they updated their program to calibrate it. If not im done and won't bother looking into it anymore...

·
Registered
818 Posts
So we're on the same page your saying yours has this photo cell? View attachment 220991
No that is not what mine looks like. (Actually, it might look similar without the cover, which I'm assuming is already removed in that picture.) I'm talking about a small white square on the back of the actual mirror itself (passenger side). A camera and a photo cell are two entirely different things. The camera is an actual camera, and a photo cell simply sees light or no light.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Yeah some call it a photocell some say camera I'm not sure what it is mine don't have that but that's what the the older models without FCW and ACC use for the auto high beams or maybe they all do i don't know...The small white square that you are talking about I believe I read somewhere it has something to do with the auto dimming mirrors...

·
Registered
818 Posts
So actually, the auto-dimming mirrors are controlled by the small light sensor within the glass of the rearview mirror (meaning you can see it when sitting in the seat, looking at the actual mirror).

Btw, here's a shot of mine from the outside, without the cover removed...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello,

I have been experiencing substantial flakiness in my 2019 Trailhawk's auto high-beam assist feature. It simply won't turn on the high beams when it most definitely should be. No other lights around, either car or on along the side of the road. I have brought it back to the dealership, but they are taking the position "no code, no fix". And, of course, it never does it in their presence. Is this feature controlled by the camera on the windshield? Is it possible that camera could be the cause of the issue? What other systems does that camera tie into? ACC (which my GC has) and AEB? If those systems are working correctly, I can't imagine why the high beam assist feature wouldn't work -- assuming it is controlled by the camera.

Thanks for any insight!
Hi From Australia. On my 2015 GC Overland the auto High beam works ok but sensitive to the slightest trace of light. Remember that the Auto High beam also is tied to the steering system and goes to low beam on cornering so if the system was getting false information that it was turning a corner, high beam would be blocked. Brent Bailey

21 - 27 of 27 Posts