Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2014 JGC Overland
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just dropped off my Jeep for the AEM update and another recall.
The check in process also lists other services like oil change, alignment etc all with a price listed
It also includes the lines with no charge
Automatic Transmission Service with Filter - Premium
Transmission Fluid Exchange Service

Does any on know if there something regarding the transmission service I'm not aware of?
The manual basically says it's a sealed maintenance free tranny

·
Registered
2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit 3.6L 4x2
2,171 Posts

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
And I can guarantee you the price on the service menu WON'T be the price for this transmission ! I'm guessing 600.00 + Dollars at a dealer....

·
Registered
2014 WK2 Overland EcoDiesel
28 Posts
ZF has a service schedule so, no, it is not maintenance free.
It is a serviceable tranny. You can either do a simple fill quantity for drain quantity or, as ZF doc below, replace the tranny pan and fill.
Transmission and Transmission Service for Passenger Cars and Light Commercial Vehicles

And the handy ZF document showing the proper service info. Note the 80 to 100Km fluid change recommendation!
https://aftermarket.zf.com/remoteme...38411/si-zf-si-oelwechselkit-8hp-50130-en.pdf
Thank you for this. I'm at 53k miles and have been reading up on the ZF-maintenance as I prepare to do it myself.

·
Registered
JGC Overland
366 Posts
Marky...Some manufacturers will, for some stupid reason (BMW, FCA, for example) say their transmissions have "lifetime" fluid, a marketing ploy, however...there is no such thing. Period. As Phil pointed out, the manufacturer of the tranny, ZF, has a maintenance schedule that they make very public and available...for good reason.

There is MUCH evidence on this and other forums supporting the idea that changing the pan/filter and the fluid at 100K-ish miles will provide the typical ZF tranny with many miles. As an extreme example, there is a guy running an EcoDiesel RAM pickup that tows commercially...he has 700K miles on his 2014 ZF transmission...changing his fluid and filter at 100K intervals. Some folks like to change it sooner, some folks never change it. Up to you. You can DIY this job, or if you don't want that, I'd recommend using a local independent transmission shop...they'll be WAY cheaper than a dealer.

Tomalapala - IMHO you are way ahead of the game unless you are a heavy tower. Study up, there are some tricks to changing the fluid on our Grand Cherokees. There is an immovable cross member that makes access to the front set of torx-bit bolts a little tricky. You'll need a very small 1/4" drive torx bit set, a swivel adapter and a good bit of patience. I'd also recommend a fill tool...some guys use a simple yard sprayer. You can also use www.ram1500diesel.com forum for more information. Let us know if you need any help.

·
Registered
28 Posts
2 years later and at 77k miles, I finally got around to changing the trans filter! Read up, watched a bunch of YouTube videos, and followed the ZF trans service.pdf floating around on the internet. Didn’t need anything but basic tools and larger T40 Allen to reach the bolts behind the immovable crossmember. Here’s what my magnets looked like—absolutely caked in material.

Thanks for the encouragement a while back!

Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Hood Grille Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood

Marky...Some manufacturers will, for some stupid reason (BMW, FCA, for example) say their transmissions have "lifetime" fluid, a marketing ploy, however...there is no such thing. Period. As Phil pointed out, the manufacturer of the tranny, ZF, has a maintenance schedule that they make very public and available...for good reason.

There is MUCH evidence on this and other forums supporting the idea that changing the pan/filter and the fluid at 100K-ish miles will provide the typical ZF tranny with many miles. As an extreme example, there is a guy running an EcoDiesel RAM pickup that tows commercially...he has 700K miles on his 2014 ZF transmission...changing his fluid and filter at 100K intervals. Some folks like to change it sooner, some folks never change it. Up to you. You can DIY this job, or if you don't want that, I'd recommend using a local independent transmission shop...they'll be WAY cheaper than a dealer.

Tomalapala - IMHO you are way ahead of the game unless you are a heavy tower. Study up, there are some tricks to changing the fluid on our Grand Cherokees. There is an immovable cross member that makes access to the front set of torx-bit bolts a little tricky. You'll need a very small 1/4" drive torx bit set, a swivel adapter and a good bit of patience. I'd also recommend a fill tool...some guys use a simple yard sprayer. You can also use www.ram1500diesel.com forum for more information. Let us know if you need any help.

·
Registered
2014 Summit 5.7 4wd 20" tires swapped to 18", added all skid plates
2,992 Posts
In some of the photos I've seen of the pan it looks like it has a drain plug. Does anyone know if it does have a drain plug?

·
Registered
2014 Summit 5.7
3,916 Posts
In some of the photos I've seen of the pan it looks like it has a drain plug. Does anyone know if it does have a drain plug?
Yes the oem plastic pan has a plastic drain plug. Unscrew it for the initial drain of the fluid before dropping the pan, helps with making less mess. I did my fluid change and pan drop at 75k miles on my 2014 5.7 summit and like the above magnets were caked on the old pan. I think next one I will try just a drain and fill at 125k since I did the pan at 75k. The plastic pan bolt has a low torque value so as long as thats not exceeded should be ok, I played with the old and it seemed to go back in ok. The PIA part of this is really the pan drop and getting to a few of the pan bolts with blocked access drain fill should be fairly easy. But if you have the full skid plate package like mine does some of those need to come off also so that adds some fun to it.

·
Registered
2014 Summit 5.7 4wd 20" tires swapped to 18", added all skid plates
2,992 Posts
Yes the oem plastic pan has a plastic drain plug. Unscrew it for the initial drain of the fluid before dropping the pan, helps with making less mess. I did my fluid change and pan drop at 75k miles on my 2014 5.7 summit and like the above magnets were caked on the old pan. I think next one I will try just a drain and fill at 125k since I did the pan at 75k. The plastic pan bolt has a low torque value so as long as thats not exceeded should be ok, I played with the old and it seemed to go back in ok. The PIA part of this is really the pan drop and getting to a few of the pan bolts with blocked access drain fill should be fairly easy. But if you have the full skid plate package like mine does some of those need to come off also so that adds some fun to it.
I'm toying with just doing the drain and fill since it has the drain plug. I asked the dealer for a price for normal pan drop change and they gave me a price but than 5 minutes later called back and said it was lifetime fluid and never needed changing. Didn't want to waste another day so let it go. Still keep thinking it would be good to refresh the fluid by 100K, not too worried about what's stuck to the magnets, that's what they're there for. Thinking I would drain and measure what comes out and just put that same amount back in. Better than nothing.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'm toying with just doing the drain and fill since it has the drain plug. I asked the dealer for a price for normal pan drop change and they gave me a price but than 5 minutes later called back and said it was lifetime fluid and never needed changing. Didn't want to waste another day so let it go. Still keep thinking it would be good to refresh the fluid by 100K, not too worried about what's stuck to the magnets, that's what they're there for. Thinking I would drain and measure what comes out and just put that same amount back in. Better than nothing.
You can drain and refill no problem. I did that at ~50k but I overtightened the plastic drain plug and stripped the head. So just be gentle and mind the 8nm torque rating.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts