Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Luxury 2 Group. Tried taking it through a car wash and when I put it in neutral and the conveyer went to grab the wheel, the AutoPark engaged and locked the truck up to where it wouldn’t take. The message on the screen read “AutoPark Engaged Shift to P then Shift to Gear.” Anyone know a solution to this problem or a way I can deactivate the AutoPark temporarily before car washes? Thanks

·
Registered
96 Posts
Do you have 4WD? If I understand you correctly, you could engage the Towing function on your console to defeat the Auto function.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Curious about this one. I have a 2014 Overland, I took it though an automatic car wash once, I was nervous from prior reads on here. But mine worked fine, shifted to N and no issue.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do you have 4WD? If I understand you correctly, you could engage the Towing function on your console to defeat the Auto function.

Just put my truck in 4WD low and the message “AutoPark disabled” popped up. Hopefully won’t have any problems next time I try and go for a car wash as long as I do this. Just curious, any rationale as to why 4WD low disables the AutoPark?

·
Registered
2015 WK2 Overland
1,517 Posts
Buckle the drivers seatbelt when you get out.

·
Registered
2015 WK2 Overland
1,517 Posts
If you’re wearing your seatbelt then I’d say it’s tkme for a dealer visit. Although not my car, I know the local car wash will buckle the seatbelt on a friends 2015 when going through driverless.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The car wash we go to makes you ride in your car for some models because of stuff like this. Not the end of the world.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Also, always remember to turn off the rain-sensing wipers if you will not be riding through the wash. At our local touchless wash there's a glass wall where we can watch the vehicles go by. I always laugh when I see a Mercedes or something going by and the wipers are flapping wildly like there's a monsoon in progress.

·
Registered
2015 WK2 Overland
1,517 Posts
Also, always remember to turn off the rain-sensing wipers if you will not be riding through the wash. At our local touchless wash there's a glass wall where we can watch the vehicles go by. I always laugh when I see a Mercedes or something going by and the wipers are flapping wildly like there's a monsoon in progress.
:lol:

·
Registered
456 Posts
Buckle the drivers seatbelt when you get out.
You have to buckle the seat belt behind you when you get to the car wash. Discovered this right after one of the many software "updates" several years ago. I'm amazed how many car wash personnel still don't know about this.

My favorite car wash- same two guys have owned if for as long as I can remember- got to charging extra to have an employee ride through because letting the owner of the car ride through was a liability. They were so grateful when I shared this little trick they gave me 6 months of free washes.

Works for backing up to a trailer, or backing a trailer up if you need to open a door.

·
Registered
527 Posts

Another reason for shutting off the "auto wipers" is so that the hanging "chamois strips", that some car washes have, don't catch on the wipers, and pull them out of sync, as they pass over your vehicle.

…. Works for backing up to a trailer, or backing a trailer up if you need to open a door.
It's a most annoying "feature", isn't it???

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
3,475 Posts
Its been a long time since I've been through a car wash like this. If you have 4WD, how does that work, when it grabs a front wheel, doesn't it hold it stationary? Our full time 4WD has to have all four wheels turning or the drivetrain will bind. That's why you can't do one end lifted towing.

Does this "grabber" that pulls the car through the car wash have rollers on it, so it really is just pushing the one wheel and letting it rotate normally as it does? That's the only way I can see this working?

Works for backing up to a trailer, or backing a trailer up if you need to open a door.
If you have the OEM back up cam, there will be black dashed line, I just used the back up cam and I had the hitched perfectly lined up in seconds. I also have the OEM tow hitch.

Much faster and accurate than looking out the door turned around when backing up.

·
Registered
456 Posts
If you have the OEM back up cam, there will be black dashed line, I just used the back up cam and I had the hitched perfectly lined up in seconds. I also have the OEM tow hitch.

Much faster and accurate than looking out the door turned around when backing up.
Agree that it's easy to connect to the trailer when hooking up. I'm referring to times I have to back the big enclosed trailer into tight spaces at the track. Even with mirror extensions it's really hard to see around a 102" wide, 8 ft tall enclosed trailer. At times like these I miss my 3/4 ton pickup with power extending mirrors.

Reactions: Mongo53

·
Registered
2015 WK2 Overland
1,517 Posts
Its been a long time since I've been through a car wash like this. If you have 4WD, how does that work, when it grabs a front wheel, doesn't it hold it stationary? Our full time 4WD has to have all four wheels turning or the drivetrain will bind. That's why you can't do one end lifted towing.

Does this "grabber" that pulls the car through the car wash have rollers on it, so it really is just pushing the one wheel and letting it rotate normally as it does? That's the only way I can see this working?
The only one near me that you have to get out and moves the car along automatically has a roller that nudges the car along. Your car stays on solid ground the entire time?

A majority of them you park and it does the washing around you.

·
Registered
527 Posts

Yes.....and the driver remains in the car. It's a little awkward, however, having to touch the brakes, in order to move the shifter into "drive", when you clear the track, and have to drive through the exit.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I'll have to check mine the next time I go. On ours, we drop it off and go inside a waiting room, where we can watch the vehicles go by. No one is inside them, so I guess a roller pushes the front tires along. I did notice the last time that the seat belt was buckled. I read something about that elsewhere.

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
3,475 Posts
After the monstable shifter debacle, the nhtsa insisted FCA make a software update to tell if the driver got out of the car when it was not shifted into park and then automatically shift it into park. This was when the WK2 didn't have an electric parking brake, that could be set by the computer.

One of the parameters the software looked for to tell if the driver got out of the car was if the seatbelt was unbuckled for the driver. There is a whole list of parameters, but they all come down to the car is running. Then the door opens and the drivers seatbelt is unbuckled and the software will shift into park, or set the parking brake on the M/Y with the brake the computer can activate.

·
Registered
826 Posts
The WK2 still doesn't have an electric parking brake, and never will. That will show up on the new WL.

·
Registered
2015 WK2 Overland
1,517 Posts
There is a whole list of parameters
Nope, pretty sure it's out of park, over .6ish MPH, door open, belt unbuckled. Not a long list. Buckle the belt and you can throw yourself under the Pirellis all day long. :lol: This goes for the 16+ with the traditional shifter as well I do believe. I think it displays a message to shift to park before continuing.

Reactions: Mongo53
1 - 20 of 39 Posts