Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do I avoid the clunking shift into 1st or 2nd as I am stopping in Autostick mode? I thought I should disengage the 4cyl feature in "Eco" mode but then noted that the disengaged button lights automatically in Autostick.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Hello @Arminius
If you are having concerns with your shifter, we recommend bringing this to the attention of your dealer. Please know that our team is available to you via private messages for additional support if needed. Do not hesitate to reach out!

Kathryn
JeepCares

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Kathryn,
Thank you. I am shifting out of Autostick as I slow below 10 mph and avoiding clunk. Am aware tranny "learns" and also must protect drivetrain against 2nd gear start by forcing a low speed downshift without rev matching. Really wanted to hear from other consumers.
John

·
Registered
2014 Summit 5.7 4wd 20" tires swapped to 18", added all skid plates
2,021 Posts
If you are downshifting manually (autostick) it's not surprising you might get a clunk since you may be doing it at a higher or lower speed then normal operation would call for.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, the noise comes from trying to leave it in Autostick as I come to the bottom of the hill. I can downshift into first or let the box force the shift (designed to avoid 2nd gear starts which are hard on drivetrain). Still, there's a clunk. Maybe it needs fake double clutching throttle control like Euro "sports cars."

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
No, the noise comes from trying to leave it in Autostick as I come to the bottom of the hill. I can downshift into first or let the box force the shift (designed to avoid 2nd gear starts which are hard on drivetrain). Still, there's a clunk. Maybe it needs fake double clutching throttle control like Euro "sports cars."
Ok, that's different than mine.. , if I leave mine in manual shift and come to a stop there isn't any particular clunking although I might be able to feel the downshift.

·
Registered
2015 WK2 Overland
1,616 Posts
I can downshift into first or let the box force the shift (designed to avoid 2nd gear starts which are hard on drivetrain)
It is completely acceptable for the ZF8 to start off in second as first, second, and possibly even third are lower ratios than most slushbox first gears. The trans is smarter than you, leave it in drive. Maybe throw some vocabulary words at it instead?

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
It is completely acceptable for the ZF8 to start off in second as first, second, and possibly even third are lower ratios than most slushbox first gears. The trans is smarter than you, leave it in drive. Maybe throw some vocabulary words at it instead?
The owners manual says when you put the select terrain knob in SNOW it may start in second gear depending on "conditions" but doesn't say what the "conditions" are. But it would seem there is no problem with starting in second gear.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
James Bond used to start his pursuits in his supercharged Bentley in 2nd gear. I still can't figure that out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts