Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Jeep Summit
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had any experience with removing or improving the clarity of their backup camera?
Mine has been working fine for some time now but this past winter I started to notice that the outer edges of the display on my screen were blurry when I was in reverse.
I’ve cleaned it obviously but it hasn’t made any difference. I’m thinking that maybe a bit of moisture or something got into the interior of the lens. But when I look at it I can’t see any foreign material.
I saw a couple of videos on you tube but can’t find one on how to remove or repair one on a Jeep.

Thanks for reading.

·
Registered
Laredo 4x4
800 Posts
Had a similar problem. It looked like it was dirty. Progressively got worst. Turned out to be water ingress into the camera. Got it replaced under warranty.

·
Registered
Jeep Summit
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No warranty left on mine. Wonder how hard it is to do?? Look like I would need to remove the interior panel from the hatch and go at it from the inside.

I'll give it a go when it warms up a bit.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My 2014 Limited has the same issue - fuzzy/blurry camera image. What was the fix for you? I saw on a forum to do a factory reset in System Information. Tried that with no change.

Thanks for any feedback.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks Mozzie, appreciate it. I also found a guy on YouTube following that guide.

I'm going to tear into this weekend and verify the part number on the camera itself before ordering one from somewhere. Hopefully the new one lasts the life of the car....maybe will add a bit of silicone to the to help keep water out.

Thanks again

DG

·
Registered
6 Posts
Did you replace successfully and get a part number?

My issue sound similar... one day the cameras picture looked like the entire lens was coated in vaseline. I've cleaned the lens to no avail. No visible moisture either. I'm wondering if the lens became delaminated?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey Matt - I never made time to tear into it. My wife drives it and will get on me again soon, so it may be in my future if the weather ever warms up. I'd sure like to have the right part number before ordering anything. Let me know if you get to it.

Thanks

DG

·
Registered
1 Posts
Has anyone had any experience with removing or improving the clarity of their backup camera?
Mine has been working fine for some time now but this past winter I started to notice that the outer edges of the display on my screen were blurry when I was in reverse.
I’ve cleaned it obviously but it hasn’t made any difference. I’m thinking that maybe a bit of moisture or something got into the interior of the lens. But when I look at it I can’t see any foreign material.
I saw a couple of videos on you tube but can’t find one on how to remove or repair one on a Jeep.

Thanks for reading.

My wife's Cherokee back-up camera went very blurry, starting out with just the edges and kept getting worse. After cleaning and verifying no external problems, I was thinking I had internal moisture contamination??? I removed the camera, which was a pain in the xxx, and removed the back plate of the camera which had a good rubber O-ring seal. Upon closer inspection, I determined the source of the water contamination was where the plastic wire connector enters the back plate of the camera, which had no seal/O-ring. I baked it in the oven for a couple hours and kept the temps around 125ish. My oven would only go down to 150, so it was a series of turn oven on and turn off to keep at the right temp. Once the bake-out was done, I used clear RTV to seal up the problem area.

Reinstalled the camera, worked perfect, Happy Wife!!

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
4,430 Posts
That was what I was thinking, the cold temps causing moisture to be drawn into the camera and condensing on the inside of the lense.

Maybe it will get better with warm weather. But, once its in, it's not likely to get out, unless you take some action like wilker88 did.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts