Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had the upper and lower ball joints and sway bar bushings replaced on my "04 GC 2wd 4.7 V8. The shop was a general automotive repair shop and the guy typically does good work. Now the Jeep drives terribly. You have to keep correcting it to keep it straight, an lots of steering input to turn. There's nothing loose or rattling, and it feels tighter when hitting bumps but no fun to drive.
It's almost like it lost the alignment. I wouldn't think ball joint replacement would affect alignment. Any ideas before I take it for an alignment tomorrow.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Ya relax!!!!!! If you have taken "care" of your rig.... And have had it aligned before..... But, with worn parts???? By putting in new stuff, and what you put in..... Your fine..... Keep taking care of your rig..... And the truth is, you can't really screw those things up.... The wheels would truly fall off!!!!! But they could change an alignment dramatically..... Good luck brother.......

·
Registered
84 Posts
yes, you need to at least get a front end alignment for sure, and maybe go for the 4 wheel alignment to help correct the wandering if it applies to your model year.

·
Registered
2014 Summit 5.7 4wd 20" tires swapped to 18", added all skid plates
2,298 Posts
I just had the upper and lower ball joints and sway bar bushings replaced on my "04 GC 2wd 4.7 V8. The shop was a general automotive repair shop and the guy typically does good work. Now the Jeep drives terribly. You have to keep correcting it to keep it straight, an lots of steering input to turn. There's nothing loose or rattling, and it feels tighter when hitting bumps but no fun to drive.
It's almost like it lost the alignment. I wouldn't think ball joint replacement would affect alignment. Any ideas before I take it for an alignment tomorrow.
Did the shop that did the work align it when they were done (or send it out to be aligned)? Any kind of major suspension work such as you had done requires it to be realigned. If it was realigned perhaps they just screwed it up. There is really no reason it should be driving worse now than it was before.

·
Registered
78 Posts
A-men brother...... And I'm not as savvy as my son on the Jeep specs..... But, maybe you have a solid rear axle????? So a 4 wheel alignment to check is good.... But, what you did..... Is a good thing..... And to get the most out of what you did..... Alignment is a good thing.......

·
Registered
28 Posts
LOOSE LUG NUTS !

OR MISSING COTTER PINS ON THE AXLE NUTS !

YOUR WHEELS ARE GOING TO COME OFF !

JACK IT UP AND CHECK IT !

·
Premium Member
SRT8
2,549 Posts
LOOSE LUG NUTS !

OR MISSING COTTER PINS ON THE AXLE NUTS !

YOUR WHEELS ARE GOING TO COME OFF !

JACK IT UP AND CHECK IT !
No axle nuts on a 2wd just wheel bearings it's legit just a solid axle tube with no gears or cv shafts. I would get the alignment checked. there is no adjustments for the rear.

·
Registered
78 Posts
And we wonder what advice to take from here???? That barely made sense!!!!! True on the no adjustment rear end.... But should be checked.... Rear ends can get missed aligned..... The front bushings on the leaf springs can wear.... That causes one side to side rearward..... Also a leaf can sag... That also causes the wheel to be pushed back.... Do these things happen often.... No.... But a good shop should check for it..... I've seen more then one truck going down the highway a little cockeyed..... And that is from the rear end being miss aligned..... Good luck brother

·
Registered
28 Posts
I beg to differ.
If you have to drive it,
Try and make sure nobody's behind you.
So when a wheel flies off,
It won't cause a "pile-up".

·
Registered
78 Posts
WOW!!!!! Maybe his gas cap is loose to????? Or, maybe he just needs a new pair of wiper blades!!!!! Someone isn't firing on all cylinders, that's what I'm thinking.............

·
Premium Member
SRT8
2,549 Posts
And we wonder what advice to take from here???? That barely made sense!!!!! True on the no adjustment rear end.... But should be checked.... Rear ends can get missed aligned..... The front bushings on the leaf springs can wear.... That causes one side to side rearward..... Also a leaf can sag... That also causes the wheel to be pushed back.... Do these things happen often.... No.... But a good shop should check for it..... I've seen more then one truck going down the highway a little cockeyed..... And that is from the rear end being miss aligned..... Good luck brother
Never been a Leaf Spring on a WJ ever. Coil Springs with 2 fixed Lower Control arms and a Upper A arm attached to a Ball Joint at the top of the rear end. But I Agree Bushings could be shot either of the rear Components.

Typically the Rear ball Joint will cause some Tail wagging over bumps if worn and is just mounted to the Top of the Diff with 3 bolts and Bolted to the A-ARM.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Like I said not familiar with all the Jeep set-ups.... But that is even more susceptible to get miss aligned..... My son has 99 xj..... And I've been in there during more then one "Death Wobble" run..... A lot bushings to wear..... Helped my son replace a few on his front end..... Kinda the same thing as your rear.... And it's funny how something looks ok.... But when replaced the wobble goes away!!!!!! He has now upgraded to Hime joints..... A little tougher then rubber..... But if you want to have that jeep articulation..... Then you'll have all the joints to go with it..... Ha, and don't to forget to tighten those lug nuts!!!!!!!!!LOL.......

·
Registered
78 Posts
So you think a shop, who this guy said "does decent work" would go to the trouble.... To replace all the ball joints, and then continue on to sway bar bushings..... And be so stupid, as not to wiggle the wheel to see if the bearings are also part of the problem..... Then just willy-nilly throw the, no I'm sorry, both front wheels on.... And maybe just finger tighten the lugs.... Not to mention, they didn't touch the wheel bearings..... But, you think they pulled the grease caps off, then removed the cotter pins, then just slapped the caps back on...... Not understanding it!!!!!!!

·
Registered
28 Posts
"Now the Jeep drives terribly. You have to keep correcting it to keep it straight, an lots of steering input to turn."

There's no telling.

I know if you leave a cotter pin off one side, friction and inertia alone can cause the axle nut to come off.

Same with lug nuts if they're not tight.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Yes you are right...... If you don't tighten bearing nuts and secure them, or lug nuts.... Shit falls off the vehicle...... And how long do you think this guy would drive with a wheel falling off??? But the guy didn't have his bearings worked on did he????? I have no fucking clue why you push this..... Let's see if an alignment works.......

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ball Joint replacement absolutely effects alignment!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Never been a Leaf Spring on a WJ ever. Coil Springs with 2 fixed Lower Control arms and a Upper A arm attached to a Ball Joint at the top of the rear end. But I Agree Bushings could be shot either of the rear Components.

Typically the Rear ball Joint will cause some Tail wagging over bumps if worn and is just mounted to the Top of the Diff with 3 bolts and Bolted to the A-ARM.
I took the Jeep to a shop that only does suspension and alignments. They put it on the rack and pointed out the play in all of the rubber bushings. I had them replace all f the control arm bushing front/rear, drop links, and the bushings on the top of the diff., and new tie rods. Literally everything. They checked the fit and workmanship of the upper/lower ball joints from the last mechanic. Everything was good and they did an alignment. After all of that, the Jeep still has about 70% of the same steering issue!!!!! The only plus is that the suspension feels tighter and the rattles are gone.

Right before the ball joints and motor mounts were replaced, the Jeep steering was quick and nimble. Now its still slow to respond, feels like it over corrects after it decides to respond. The steering pump isn't making any unusual noise, the drive belt is tight and no cracks or visible wear, the steering rack isn't leaking, and doesn't feel like there's any slack or un-eveness in the rack. Could the pump be getting weak or perhaps clogged lines???? Everything else has been replaced.

·
Registered
2014 Summit 5.7 4wd 20" tires swapped to 18", added all skid plates
2,298 Posts
I took the Jeep to a shop that only does suspension and alignments. They put it on the rack and pointed out the play in all of the rubber bushings. I had them replace all f the control arm bushing front/rear, drop links, and the bushings on the top of the diff., and new tie rods. Literally everything. They checked the fit and workmanship of the upper/lower ball joints from the last mechanic. Everything was good and they did an alignment. After all of that, the Jeep still has about 70% of the same steering issue!!!!! The only plus is that the suspension feels tighter and the rattles are gone.

Right before the ball joints and motor mounts were replaced, the Jeep steering was quick and nimble. Now its still slow to respond, feels like it over corrects after it decides to respond. The steering pump isn't making any unusual noise, the drive belt is tight and no cracks or visible wear, the steering rack isn't leaking, and doesn't feel like there's any slack or un-eveness in the rack. Could the pump be getting weak or perhaps clogged lines???? Everything else has been replaced.
What you could be experiencing is how new tight parts feel. When my old explorer was new the ball joints, tie rods, etc were all so tight it would barely return to center after a turn. After several thousand miles it loosened up and acted more normal.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts