Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all... got a 2015 GC. I’ve noticed in the last few weeks my remote start doesn’t always work(beeps but won’t start) and my phone book doesn’t always load. Today I went to remote start, beeped, but wouldn’t start. Went I got in and hit start button, very “sluggish” but did start, no phone book loaded. It was 11* in Pittsburgh overnight. I do believe it’s the original battery. Only has 35000 miles on it and it’s the 6 cyl. If battery needs replaced, what brand did you use and were there issues after? Heard some horror stories. New to site so thanks to all for feedback.

·
Registered
2014 Summit 5.7 4wd 20" tires swapped to 18", added all skid plates
1,937 Posts
When my battery was on it's last legs it turned over the engine marginally but noticeably slower then normal and the remote start stopped working. You need to replace yours. I got mine at CostCo, was about $125. Made by Johnson and is the proper battery with the little vent tube that vents to the outside thru a little hose just like the original. Some people have said they got batteries that didn't fit which apparently were the ones for the Diesel models.

·
Registered
532 Posts
My GC Limited is turning 5 years old, next month, and it has 17,000 miles on it. Although it's been running well, I'm planning on replacing the battery within the next week or two, "just because". My local parts supplier sells Champion batteries (like the spark plugs), and he's giving me quite a deal on it (jobber wholesale). I was originally going to "suck it up" and get a NAPA battery, as their "house brand" is made by East Penn Battery, one of the really good AGM battery manufacturers, but at $200, it's a bit pricey. The Champion is going to run me about half of that.

One thing that a couple of people have warned me, is to make sure I use a "memory saver", during the change-over, so I don't lose the radio settings, suspension settings, and BCM settings.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Hi all... got a 2015 GC. I’ve noticed in the last few weeks my remote start doesn’t always work(beeps but won’t start) and my phone book doesn’t always load. Today I went to remote start, beeped, but wouldn’t start. Went I got in and hit start button, very “sluggish” but did start, no phone book loaded. It was 11* in Pittsburgh overnight. I do believe it’s the original battery. Only has 35000 miles on it and it’s the 6 cyl. If battery needs replaced, what brand did you use and were there issues after? Heard some horror stories. New to site so thanks to all for feedback.
Hi TomKos,
Thanks for sharing your concerns here! We recommend visiting your dealer for battery recommendations. If you ever have questions or require additional support with your vehicle service, please know that our team is available via private message.

Kathryn
JeepCares

·
Registered
34 Posts
I too went with a Champion AGM battery. Great specs and great price at Pep Boys. No issues after installation.

The one thing to be aware of is that for some unknown, frustrating reason, the fitment data source that many part stores (including Pep Boys) use gives the wrong battery for the gasoline engined JGCs. For example, I have a '14 3.6L, and most places showed I needed a size H8 battery. However, the OEM battery was an H7, and the H8 will not fit using the hold down plate that comes with the gas GC. The diesel GC comes from the factory with the H8, and apparently you can buy the diesel hold down plate at the dealer that allows the H8 to be used in the gas GC, but no reason to do that.

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
3,687 Posts
The key is the "AGM" (absorbent glass matt) the vehicle was designed to work with an AGM battery its a different kind of batter, more advance.... ....a regular flooded lead/acid battery will work, but probably won't last as long.... ...not to mention I don't think you can find a lead acid battery the same dimensions as the H7 and H8....

The H7 battery is more than strong enough, but it never hurts to have a stronger battery... ....especially if you have extremely cold winters.... Like Jeep Haven said, you need the H8 hold down bracket to fit the larger H8 battery that comes with the Diesel.... ....most dealer should have them in stock, I've seen them for only a couple of bucks mail order, but you know dealerships, probably charge $18 for it...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all for input. I replaced the battery with an Interstate H7. As Jeep Haven said, every site I check say H8. The cover over the battery under the passenger seat says H7 so that’s what I went with. It is the same size as the factory battery. I used a memory saver when installing the battery but when I started it up, I had no dash lights, the remote start only ran for 30 seconds and the rear parking sensors shut off and couldn’t turn on. Radio had all the original settings on it. Tried a bunch of different things but what finally worked was leaving the memory saver off, disconnected the negative cable for 5 minutes and reattached it. Started it up, everything was back to normal. Glad I didn’t have to take it to dealer for reflash.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Thanks all for input. I replaced the battery with an Interstate H7. As Jeep Haven said, every site I check say H8. The cover over the battery under the passenger seat says H7 so that’s what I went with. It is the same size as the factory battery. I used a memory saver when installing the battery but when I started it up, I had no dash lights, the remote start only ran for 30 seconds and the rear parking sensors shut off and couldn’t turn on. Radio had all the original settings on it. Tried a bunch of different things but what finally worked was leaving the memory saver off, disconnected the negative cable for 5 minutes and reattached it. Started it up, everything was back to normal. Glad I didn’t have to take it to dealer for reflash.
How was the memory saver hooked up?

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Plugged into the OBD port.
Never would have guessed there. I always thought of a memory saver as a very small 12 volt battery you hooked up to the battery cables while you replaced the regular battery.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My Wife's 2014 GC like to be reset about once a year. The vehicle tells us this when is doesn't recognize the fob, and is slow to change tracks on songs. To reset, disconnect the neg battery terminal for 2 minutes, and then reconnect.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts