Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What seems to be the average life of a battery, in a WK2.....one that is not necessarily driven on a daily basis? My GC is approaching 5 years of age, with a little over 16,000 miles, and is, of course, still equipped with it's OE battery. The battery, so far, has been 100% reliable, but I'm the type who will replace it before it leaves me stranded. Along that line, I usually consider 5 years to be the point at which issues may occur. Is there any solid data that proves the OE battery would last significantly longer, or is 5 years considered the point at which I should start shopping for a new one?

And also, a "helpful friend", whose mechanical ability is somewhat questionable, told me that he had heard after replacing a battery in the Jeep, some sort of procedure had to be performed, to get the Jeep to "recognize" the new battery. Therefore, he told me that I'd have to go back to the dealer, for a battery replacement. I find this information a little "out there", although I have heard that some European cars do indeed have to go through some sort of procedure, after a new battery is installed.

Can you folks provide any answers?

Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
3,320 Posts
There are many things that will effect the life of an auto battery, such as climate, usage, whether the vehicle is garaged, type of battery, and others. Having said that, I used to change out my batteries at 4 years. With the AGM battery in my WK2, I raised that to 5 years. I'm with you in that it's a small price to pay to keep from being stranded. I'm sure you'll get many different opinions on this. Some folks will say it's a waste to replace unless it's dead, etc. Also, I've never heard anything about a Jeep needing to have the dealer do something to have it "recognize" the battery.

·
Registered
2014 Summit 5.7 4wd 20" tires swapped to 18", added all skid plates
1,477 Posts
Here in the AZ heat they rarely last more than 3 years. I've had some go dead in 1 year. My JGC OEM lasted just about the 3 year mark. It still worked but you could tell it was spinning the engine slower. The resting voltage was low enough that the PCM would not allow remote start to occur.

·
Registered
2008 Jeep JKU
57 Posts
I've seen very few lead acid batteries go past 4 years let alone 5, but like others said alot depends on climate and a few other factors.

·
Registered
361 Posts
On my 10/2010 build 2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo X I went 'til mid-2018 before I changed it out...so about 7 1/2 years. It still tested good at Advance when I turned in the core. On my wife's 04/2013 build early model year 2014 GC Limited...it still has the original battery..so about 6 years 8 months...and it's still going strong...but I'll probably swap it out soon when I catch one on sale. Neither car gets driven more than 3000 to 5000 miles a year. Mostly grocery store runs and doctors appointments. I'm in Georgia so we get a lot of 100+ and humid days and a few 20 degree cold snaps in the winter. I was always a 4 year battery changer but these AGMs installed in the cockpit are a whole different animal.

·
Registered
2014 Grand Cheroker Overland ATG ORAII
1,306 Posts
Do you use a Battery Tender on your JGC?
Whenever not in use, I hook my vehicles to a BT and my 2014 battery load tests just fine.
We replaced the battery in SWMBO's
Optima after 7 years, as it was just starting to go.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Jerry above is right, I changed mine at 5 years because I take long trips and don't want to be stranded..but mine tested 100% when removed and no reason it couldn't have went another year or so. If you are going to keep it like another 5 years, then I'd change it at your leisure. If you are selling or trading w/in a year, I'd let it go....

·
Registered
139 Posts
I have a 2012 with the original battery and 149,000 miles. I feel like I should replace the battery just because of its age and the desire to do maintenance at my convenience.

I used to have a Liberty that had the original battery after 9 years. I would pop off the covers every year and add a little distilled water to it. It would have been dry and dead otherwise. That’s not an option with the new batteries.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Jerry above is right, I changed mine at 5 years because I take long trips and don't want to be stranded..but mine tested 100% when removed and no reason it couldn't have went another year or so. If you are going to keep it like another 5 years, then I'd change it at your leisure. If you are selling or trading w/in a year, I'd let it go....
I most definitely plan on keeping the GC for a number of years.

Whenever not in use, I hook my vehicles to a BT and my 2014 battery load tests just fine.
I'm not big on tenders, because I have an attached garage, and I don't feel confident enough in the safety of keeping an electrical device both always "on", as well as connected to a vehicle that has a myriad of electronics within it, as well as 20 gallons of gasoline. Secondly, the way in which I have to park my GC, within the garage, it isn't near the electrical outlet.

·
Registered
2014 Grand Cheroker Overland ATG ORAII
1,306 Posts
Worry not...... been using them for years. Extension cords are handy y'know?

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
3,246 Posts
I most definitely plan on keeping the GC for a number of years.

I'm not big on tenders, because I have an attached garage, and I don't feel confident enough in the safety of keeping an electrical device both always "on", as well as connected to a vehicle that has a myriad of electronics within it, as well as 20 gallons of gasoline. Secondly, the way in which I have to park my GC, within the garage, it isn't near the electrical outlet.
Putting a trickle charge on the battery once or twice a year can do wonders to increase its life..... ...tenders are really for putting a vehicle in storage....

Especially if you get one of the new microprocessor controlled chargers, that have come down in price to cost barely more than the old dumb chargers.... ....and if you have an AGM battery you really should be using the microprocessor controlled charger.....

Once or twice a year put a charge on it for 24 hours over the weekend, with the new microprocessor controlled charges it called a "reconditioning" charge as opposed to a trickle charge... ...it does a lot to desulphinate a battery and increase its life......

·
Registered
4 Posts
What seems to be the average life of a battery, in a WK2.....one that is not necessarily driven on a daily basis? My GC is approaching 5 years of age, with a little over 16,000 miles, and is, of course, still equipped with it's OE battery. The battery, so far, has been 100% reliable, but I'm the type who will replace it before it leaves me stranded. Along that line, I usually consider 5 years to be the point at which issues may occur. Is there any solid data that proves the OE battery would last significantly longer, or is 5 years considered the point at which I should start shopping for a new one?

And also, a "helpful friend", whose mechanical ability is somewhat questionable, told me that he had heard after replacing a battery in the Jeep, some sort of procedure had to be performed, to get the Jeep to "recognize" the new battery. Therefore, he told me that I'd have to go back to the dealer, for a battery replacement. I find this information a little "out there", although I have heard that some European cars do indeed have to go through some sort of procedure, after a new battery is installed.

Thanks in advance!
I have a 2014 Cherokee and just replaced the original battery last week. 6 years and 47,000 miles. The dealership changed it and they didn’t mention anything about coming back. They just told me that I couldn’t do NYS inspection for about 50-60 miles after a new battery to ensure all the sensors were reset.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Here in the AZ heat they rarely last more than 3 years. I've had some go dead in 1 year. My JGC OEM lasted just about the 3 year mark. It still worked but you could tell it was spinning the engine slower. The resting voltage was low enough that the PCM would not allow remote start to occur.
I'm in AZ too and rarely got more than 3 years out of batteries. The heat just kills them. I'd buy a 5-year battery and usually get one completely free replacement and one pro-rated replacement in 5 years. My '14 GC's died at 4 years, probably because AGM's tend to last a little longer combined with the fact that the under-seat mounting location insulates them from the engine-bay heat, and a bit from the ambient temps. I was pretty happy with 4 years but those AGM's are pricey!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a 2012 with the original battery and 149,000 miles. I feel like I should replace the battery just because of its age and the desire to do maintenance at my convenience.

I used to have a Liberty that had the original battery after 9 years. I would pop off the covers every year and add a little distilled water to it. It would have been dry and dead otherwise. That’s not an option with the new batteries.
My 2012 Overland still has the original battery. I'm waiting for the death click-click.

·
Registered
2 Posts

Thanks in advance!
On my 2011 GC Limited (2010 build) I replaced the stock AGM battery last October - so about 9 years. I paid for the high priced OEM battery as I figure 9 years is worth it. I have 175K on it now. I have heard many good things about AGM batteries.

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
3,246 Posts
Many vehicles, 2010 onward, including the WK2, have more sophisticated electronically controlled charging systems for the battery. I'm talking more than adjusting charging voltage according to battery temperature, I'm talking PWM and charge state sampling to adjust PWM and voltage of the charging system....... ....throw in their using AGM battery's....

So having a battery in a WK2 last 7 years or more in a WK2 should not be that surprising..... ....heck the AGM battery costs 2-3 times as much as your typical battery.....

But, abused battery's will still have shortened lives......
Like those posting from Arizona saying the ambient heat of that area has halved their battery life....
Like myself, that can't resist using my WK2 as a boom box as I do my vehicle and home projects, you drain your battery too low or drain it dead, you've shortened its life significantly.....
So depending on conditions and usage, battery life can vary drastically......

And yes, my used WK2 had the original OEM AGM battery that worked just great until a year after I got it (7 years total) and drained it dead a few times running the vehicle in accessory.... ....then one day after driving it wouldn't start, not even a click, click, jumped with my portable battery, and it worked perfectly for a week and then each successive time it went dead came sooner and sooner. I just got a new battery.....

·
Registered
139 Posts
And yes, my used WK2 had the original OEM AGM battery that worked just great until a year after I got it (7 years total) and drained it dead a few times running the vehicle in accessory.... ....then one day after driving it wouldn't start, not even a click, click, jumped with my portable battery, and it worked perfectly for a week and then each successive time it went dead came sooner and sooner. I just got a new battery.....

Be careful sticking very long with a weak battery as a lot charging can kill your alternator. Batteries are cheaper and easier to replace.

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
3,246 Posts
Be careful sticking very long with a weak battery as a lot charging can kill your alternator. Batteries are cheaper and easier to replace.
That has not been my experience in the past..... ....BUT, my alternator just died a year after replacing the battery, nothing mechanical at all wrong with it, electronically or circuit wise something burned out and it just went dead..... ....about 100k miles earlier than any other alternator I've every had....... ....so my latest experience sorta supports your point....

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Also, low voltage on a worn battery (NOT dead...) is the #1 thing to check when electronics start acting wonky, or codes that pop that make no sense.....

·
Registered
2012 Overland Summit
85 Posts
Also, low voltage on a worn battery (NOT dead...) is the #1 thing to check when electronics start acting wonky, or codes that pop that make no sense.....
My 2012 Summit - 8 years 3 months old, original battery - twice recently declared "Key has left vehicle" while it was right there in my pocket sitting in the driver's seat. Then it labored to start in a recent cold snap and threw a Low System Voltage check engine light. Replaced the battery today and it's starting like it's brand new.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts