Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

· Registered
2017 Grand Cherokee
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in AZ, and I was planning on replacing BOTH batteries in my wife's 2017 JGC Limited. The vehicle was purchased in 10/2017 and the batteries are original. However, the guy at AutoZone was stating that he's seen the main battery go 7 to 8 years. Apparently, there is a huge difference in battery life between storing the battery under the hood, vs in the passenger compartment like the JGC does. Stop / Start has not worked in years (she prefers it not to work), and the only time the JGC failed to start was after sitting the garage for 2 1/2 weeks while we were on vacation. That was 4.5 years ago, since then it has started every time.

This makes me wonder if I should change them..... any thoughts?

· Administrator
11,986 Posts
The battery in the MY12 Overland Summit I owned for 7 years was still good in the 7th year I only replaced it because I felt that was appropriate and I later sold the vehicle.

Do note that Start/Stop requires a small, second battery that's next to the main battery to function as well as other ducks in a row, so while your main battery may be fine, it's likely that the small one is not charging or holding a charge and that would explain why the feature isn't working.

· Registered
Overland
73 Posts
I live in mild southern Idaho and have a 2015 5.7L Overland. 34K miles. Original battery and no issues so far. I do understand extreme heat and cold affect battery life, but I don't experience that up here. If I lived in AZ I would very likely replace the battery on a more frequent schedule.

· Registered
2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit 3.6L 4x2
2,379 Posts
I disable mine the minute I start my car. Pressing the button does it. ...😉

Reactions: moparado

· Registered
2014 Summit 5.7 4wd 20" tires swapped to 18", added all skid plates
3,220 Posts
I am in AZ, and I was planning on replacing BOTH batteries in my wife's 2017 JGC Limited. The vehicle was purchased in 10/2017 and the batteries are original. However, the guy at AutoZone was stating that he's seen the main battery go 7 to 8 years. Apparently, there is a huge difference in battery life between storing the battery under the hood, vs in the passenger compartment like the JGC does. Stop / Start has not worked in years (she prefers it not to work), and the only time the JGC failed to start was after sitting the garage for 2 1/2 weeks while we were on vacation. That was 4.5 years ago, since then it has started every time.

This makes me wonder if I should change them..... any thoughts?
Did they test the battery? I'm in AZ and mine lasted 4 years, then the remote start stopped working due to low voltage even though you could still start it the normal way. You could hear it was cranking more slowly than normal though. In my experience batteries generally work one day and within a day or two go bad. If yours are original and you don't want your wife stranded somewhere with a dead battery I would replace them now.

· Registered
5,408 Posts
I disable mine the minute I start my car. Pressing the button does it. ...😉
Once in a while when i get one of those senior moments, i get reminded to push the button at the first stop!o_O

· Registered
2014 JGC Laredo E, w\Tow Package
12 Posts
I was in my dealership for an oil change and tire rotation recently, and asked them to test my battery. It's the original battery from when I bought the Jeep in 2014. They said it tested fine. I've never had any issues with it. And a bit surprised that they missed an opportunity to sell me a battery. Probably will replace it this year. 9 years is a pretty good battery life :)

· Registered
171 Posts
i replaced my battery in my 2011 GC in 2019, unknown at the time i had parasitic drain causing the battery to die after 3 days non use. ( turned out to be the radio, since replaced with after market)

the replacement had a 30 mth warranty and lasted 40 mths ( i bought cheap)
even though the charge indicator on the battery was green it wouldn't start, i suspect a collapsed cell

i spent big and bought a name brand AGM battery, here's hoping it lasts a little longer.

· Registered
1,321 Posts
Apparently, there is a huge difference in battery life between storing the battery under the hood, vs in the passenger compartment like the JGC does.
Not necessarily. My 2018 was frequently show "ESS not ready - battery charging", or something like that. I took it to the dealer at 35k miles and a little more than two years since I bought it. They replaced the main battery, the aux battery and the IBS, all under warranty. They said that both batteries tested bad. The problem has not returned.

· Registered
237 Posts
Not necessarily. My 2018 was frequently show "ESS not ready - battery charging", or something like that. I took it to the dealer at 35k miles and a little more than two years since I bought it. They replaced the main battery, the aux battery and the IBS, all under warranty. They said that both batteries tested bad. The problem has not returned.
There was a huge set of bad production batteries in that 2016-2018 time range (just estimating here) with very similar symptoms to yours. Mostly the ESS motorcycle batteries but this was affecting tons of FCA products such as the new at the time pacifica, etc. I am expecting my (two) batteries to last far longer than that in my WK.

Of course all of the replacement batteries these days seem like trash.

· Registered
85 Posts
I just replaced my main battery two weeks ago. (original battery from 2018) All of a sudden, stop/starts works! They did not have the small battery in stock, but the big battery apparently charges the little battery so there's that.

· Registered
2014 GC Overland Diesel 4x4
470 Posts
Funny thing about batteries in modern cars full of electronics, sometimes it is not so much the ability to crank the starter, but the voltage. Once the voltage starts to drop many electronics start to get wonky.
I just replaced the battery in my 2014 GC in summer of 2022. It was just starting to get low voltage

· Premium Member
322 Posts
I have a 2019 JGC Trailhawk, I have owned it since 10/2019 I have replaced the main battery 4 times. If you don't start the darn car at least every other day the battery goes dead.

· Registered
2014 GC Overland Diesel 4x4
470 Posts
I have a 2019 JGC Trailhawk, I have owned it since 10/2019 I have replaced the main battery 4 times. If you don't start the darn car at least every other day the battery goes dead.
Wow that is some major drain. Do you keep the remote key near (30’) the vehicle? Sometimes if the key is near the car will not “go to sleep.” This is how the touch sensor door locks work. When the remote is in proximity it wakes up the car to be ready for user input. There may be other tech that uses key proximity too.

· Registered
34 Posts
I just replaced my main battery two weeks ago. (original battery from 2018) All of a sudden, stop/starts works! They did not have the small battery in stock, but the big battery apparently charges the little battery so there's that.
You will want to replace the AUX-14 battery....or it can continuously drain the main battery if it is too old. I recently replaced both, and yes, I had a very hard time finding the AUX-14. It took me 6 months waiting. Then replaced both at same time. I'm good for another 6+ years :)

· Registered
34 Posts
I voluntarily changed both main and aux batteries on my original 2016 WK2 earlier this year. I was getting worried it was on borrowed time and preferred doing it on my time instead of stuck in some parking lot. Had to look for 6 months before finding a store (both brick and online) that had the AUX-14. I wanted to change both at the same time. Finally found them, purchased, an then planned for a ~20min install. OMFG it took me two hours!!!!! The problem was the Factory Install of the main battery had deformed the post and I could not get the back terminal off. And because of the under-floor under-seat arrangement it was very difficult to get that farthest away terminal. Sigh. After I finally got it I wished I had just taken it somewhere for the install. My wife's Subaru only requires 10 minutes to change the battery....but of course lucky to get 3-4 years in the engine compartment.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts