Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the 2012 WK2 Laredo with the 5.7, i have roughly 135K on it and i still have the Original battery
It starts and runs fine but i have read articles that say you should replace your battery after 4 or 5 years
clearly mine is 9 years old but as i said it runs good. So should i replace it or just keep going until something
happens?. I've gone thru 2 water pumps radiator and an alternator but the Battery just keeps working

·
Registered
2018 Trailhawk
180 Posts
I would wait as long as the battery is in good shape. Does it have caps for adding water? If so, make sure it doesn't need any water (add only distilled water). Then I just keep a portable battery pack in the car for emergencies. The new lithium ones are tiny and very portable.

·
Registered
2015 WK2 Overland
1,925 Posts
I would wait as long as the battery is in good shape. Does it have caps for adding water? If so, make sure it doesn't need any water (add only distilled water). Then I just keep a portable battery pack in the car for emergencies. The new lithium ones are tiny and very portable.
It is a sealed AGM battery - no water.

I would say 9 years is working on borrowed time.

·
Registered
2018 Trailhawk
180 Posts
It is a sealed AGM battery - no water.

I would say 9 years is working on borrowed time.
I wasn't sure if they were using AGM back then - I knew it was in my '14. Yes battery is probably on borrowed time. If I had the money, I'd replace the battery with a new AGM at my convenience. The old wet batteries were easier to check the acid health and sometimes lasted an amazing number of years if you kept up with the water.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I guess it depends on how tolerant are you to getting stranded. I had an '11 GC and I have an early model year '14 GC (made in April 2013). I ran both of those batteries for 7 years and figured I got my money's worth. I hate getting stranded trying to squeeze more time out of a battery when I know it could die of old age any time. These AGMs are great batteries and I could have probably got another year or so....but......if the wife got out somewhere and got stranded I would have wished I'd have spent that $159 at Advance when she got through with me.

Reactions: LexLuther

·
Registered
JGC
409 Posts
Replace it for the piece of mind unless your selling it soon. I bought the Interstate AGM from Costco without researching, only to find out the Advance Auto Platinum Diehard is the same battery as the Interstate. Use their 25% off code and save some money.

·
Registered
2018 Trailhawk
180 Posts
If you have a BatteriesPlus in your town, they offer a four year warranty on their auto batteries. Most other places offer three years. Some parts places will not install the new battery if it is under the seat like mine.

I've been lucky. Never been stranded by a dead battery, but I have used my jump starter once or twice over the years. Mostly I've used my jump starter to help other motorists - it is much easier than jumper cables and no risk to my vehicle in the process.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Ask yourself if you'd rather replace the battery while it is sitting in your garage at your convenience or wait and hope it doesn't fail on some dark, rainy night in the middle of nowhere. At 9 years old, it has outlasted its life expectancy and time for a new one.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have the 2012 WK2 Laredo with the 5.7, i have roughly 135K on it and i still have the Original battery
It starts and runs fine but i have read articles that say you should replace your battery after 4 or 5 years
clearly mine is 9 years old but as i said it runs good. So should i replace it or just keep going until something
happens?. I've gone thru 2 water pumps radiator and an alternator but the Battery just keeps working
I guess discuss with jeep dealer - my 2012 Laredo has mid 140Kilometres down (Australia) and amazed not replaced battery yet. Why replace until needed just like any other vehicle unless going to very remote areas and worried about getting stuck. No problems until recently and $1500 expense on front transfer case. Good luck. Like to know how to get better reception on the radio - the aerial provided not cut it !!!!!~.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I would replace it before you get stranded, I have a 2014 and just replaced mine with a new AGM from Napa, the battery does way more than just start your Jeep it has to power all the electronics.

·
Registered
2014 JGC Limited 3.6 V6 Alpine Sound, Deep Pearl Blue
33 Posts
I guess it depends on how tolerant are you to getting stranded. I had an '11 GC and I have an early model year '14 GC (made in April 2013). I ran both of those batteries for 7 years and figured I got my money's worth. I hate getting stranded trying to squeeze more time out of a battery when I know it could die of old age any time. These AGMs are great batteries and I could have probably got another year or so....but......if the wife got out somewhere and got stranded I would have wished I'd have spent that $159 at Advance when she got through with me.
My 2014 was built in April 13 too. I figured I was on borrowed time so got a new AGM from Advance. It still had plenty of snap to it but figured I got my money's worth. The horror stories I've read about make it the smart thing to do.

·
Registered
15 Posts
[/A battery is expensive you seem to have a very good one if in doubt have it check out see that all the cells are good .If so keep it until it starts giving you trouble only then replace

·
Registered
15 Posts
A AGM will sent you back closer to $300 I would love to know where you can get one for $159 the Odyssey I just got was $275

·
Registered
16 Posts
I wasn't sure if they were using AGM back then - I knew it was in my '14. Yes battery is probably on borrowed time. If I had the money, I'd replace the battery with a new AGM at my convenience. The old wet batteries were easier to check the acid health and sometimes lasted an amazing number of years if you kept up with the water.
clearly mine is 9 years old
My 2014 was built in April 13 too. I figured I was on borrowed time so got a new AGM from Advance. It still had ple
WAIT UNTIL IT FAILS TO START LEAVING YOU STRANDED.
You may get another year out of it.
I just replaced my 9 year old original battery in my 2012 Overland I bought new. $179.00 is cheap insurance at $20 per year.

·
Registered
8 Posts
When the battery goes bad the dashboard lights come on because it can't supply enough voltage to the ECU. I just replaced my battery and it was tough I couldnt get the bolts off the plate that holds it in so I had to jigger it out of there and jigger the new one in. On craigslist you can find cheap batteries most are refurbished but for new ones you can get a good deal too I bought a refurbished battery and it works fine hoping it lasts long.

·
Registered
16 Posts
My wife would not like that refurbished gamble.

The nuts on the hold down plate were very tight, I used a crowsfoot socket to re move them. I was too lazy to go to the barn for a deepwall socket.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Ya I thought they used bolt on for the bolts they were so tight idk why they would make them like that for the battery. I have a good ratchet set but no sockets that were deep enough for the bolts and my local autozone didnt have anything and I didn't know where else to go except another parts store or a repair shop so I got it out without removing the plate and got the new one in and they were HEAVY it was a workout lol

·
Registered
2014 Limited, 3.6L
61 Posts
A AGM will sent you back closer to $300 I would love to know where you can get one for $159 the Odyssey I just got was $275
I bought a Champion brand AGM from Pep Boys a year and a half ago. Black Friday special -- $127 plus a $50 rebate! It has a 48 month warranty, good CCA specs, and the price included install. One of the best deals I've ever found on anything.

Odyssey is premium priced brand. I don't know enough to know what the justification is for that premium.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts