Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently run stock P265/50R20 tires on my 2012 JGC Hemi 4x4. I mainly use the vehicle for towing and minor running around town.

I have heard that 18 inch is better for towing. Is that true? Also, would a Light Truck tire make sense?

Basically, I would like an LT tire for best towing (if it makes sense) but do not want anything nobby and large and that sticks out a lot. Any one have suggestions?

I did a search but didn't find the exact answer I was looking for. Also, I guess if I changed tires I would have to get 5 since a I have the full spare. Would that an LT tire fit in the cargo space where the current spare is?

·
Registered
West Palm Beach
43 Posts
I read the title and immediately said to myself... Inflated ones.

Tires don't matter all that much for towing minor stuff.

·
Registered
2014 Summit 5.7 4wd 20" tires swapped to 18", added all skid plates
1,806 Posts
Currently run stock P265/50R20 tires on my 2012 JGC Hemi 4x4. I mainly use the vehicle for towing and minor running around town.

I have heard that 18 inch is better for towing. Is that true? Also, would a Light Truck tire make sense?

Basically, I would like an LT tire for best towing (if it makes sense) but do not want anything nobby and large and that sticks out a lot. Any one have suggestions?

I did a search but didn't find the exact answer I was looking for. Also, I guess if I changed tires I would have to get 5 since a I have the full spare. Would that an LT tire fit in the cargo space where the current spare is?
The vehicle is rated for full towing with the tires it comes from the factory with. There is no need to buy different tires or LT tires. Even if you tow to full capacity you are only adding something less than 400 pounds additional tire load to each rear tire. Even with that the factory tires are within their rated capacity. And if you are using a load distributing weight hitch, which you should be for that load, the added load on the rear tires is only about 250 pounds per tire. Just make sure you have them inflated to recommended pressure.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Michelin Defender LTX. Probably the best tire out there for your needs. You're fine with the stock 20" size.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I switched out my stock sites on my trail hawk to the Nokian rotiiva AT tires for towing. I tow a heavy river boat over some real sharp rocks /muddy banks. The sidewalls on the factory tires are way to soft my likings. The Nokians are way tougher. Not sure if they come in the 20s. They got more plys in the sidewall

1 - 5 of 5 Posts