Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Over the weekend, I installed the Chief lower front guard, hidden winch mount, bull bar, and recovery hooks, as well as a 24” light bar and a Smittybilt X20 10,000 lb composite winch. The entire project took me about 8 hours to do alone. I thought I’d share a few insights in case anyone wants to do this in the future.

First, Chief’s instructions are pretty good. My 2016 WK2 didn’t have the wiring loom bar and instead, had plastic guides on either side of the radiator that the wire sat in. I had to trim off the lower section of these guards with a Dremel tool in order to get the center piece of the hidden winch mount in there.

Also, the bull bar, hidden winch mount, lower front guard, and recovery hooks all have mounts that attach to the same spot on the frame where the factory tow hooks were removed. Unfortunately, they don’t have instructions for the installation of every one of those items. They have instructions for installing just two of them. I was able to figure out myself how everything stacked with careful observation. I wish I had taken photos to share, but I highly recommend taking a close look at the instructions before you start so you can figure that out prior to your install. If you do it wrong and have to take everything back off and start over, you’re going to have a bad time. There were a lot of redundant parts when you install every one of their kits at once as they all stack together in that spot.

The quality of their gear is over the top. I have their sump protection plate going on next week. If you want to follow my build, I’m on instagram @AdirondackWK2.

IMG_1201.JPG

·
Registered
95 Posts
Looks great! Chief makes great stuff. I have the lower guard and sump plate. One note on the sump plate though for you...the lower front guard installs over it. So you're going to have to loosen it up enough to get the sump plate in there.

If anybody else reads this and is thinking about installing both sump plate and lower guard. Do the sump plate first to save some time.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts