Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Since 1 week now, a very big squeak/rattle appeared on my 2015 Grand Cherokee Summit (it has 37'000 km / 23'000 miles).

It's difficult to locate it, but it comes from the passenger side, rear.

Unfortunately I have nobody for drive the car while I'm sitting in the rear, so it's not easy to locate the noise, but I drove with my father in the rear of the car and he told me it's comming from the passenger side B pillar. I hope he's right, I can't verify by myself, but i'll trust him...

I found many threads about rattles and squeaks coming from the panoramic sunroof (I have one), but noone about the passenger B pillar. (I don't think it's the sunroof in my case because, open, half open or closed, the noise is exactly the same, so probably it's coming from the B pillar) Do somebody else have the same problem?

Can I open the B pillar for see if something is moving inside? How? I see there is an airbag, so I want to be sure it won't explode if I try to open it...

The noise is very strong, and I hear it almost always, excepted on very smooth roads, but any roughness on the road surface make the noise coming. It's even worse on any bump, even small, of course. It's a squeak, about the same sound that makes something lacking of oil/grease, but also a rattle, because I hear that something is moving in my car, like a part or dunno what.

This noise is really anonying and it distract me while driving plus makes me so nervous and angry during my trips... It could even make me do an accident, so I need to fix it quickly. I was really enjoying this car, it was perfect for me, but now I'm so bored of this noise I sometimes even think about selling it and buying something else.

And idea?

I would like to fix it by myself, because that kind of problem usually can't be fixed correctly by dealers. They need the car for many days and never find the right cause, damage the interior of the car, stain the headliner with grease, create sometimes even more rattles, and charge a lot of labor for this... Plus I don't have warranty anymore, so, I have to fix it by myself, no choice if I don't want my car worse than now and a big bill to pay...

Thanks in advance for your help

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So, nobody seems to know how to solve this squeak problem. A little update : I finally found someone for drive my Jeep while I was sitting in the rear seats and I listened where do the squeak come from. For me, it comes from the rear right door. Like if something is squeaky inside. Any idea?

·
Registered
2019 Grand Cherokee Altitude
44 Posts
So then remove the interior trim panel from the door and go for another drive and see if the noise is still there. If it’s not the panel itself you may be able to isolate it better with the panel removed. WK2jeeps.com has instructions for removing the interior door panels.

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
2,971 Posts
Hmmm, sounds more like something loose under you trim, but sounds a little like my squeak as well......

A few people have found the fix for the Squeak that comes from the chassis of the vehicle when weight shifts that causes the nose to dive/climb, even the slightest unnoticeable nose dive/climb will create a squeak that travels through the whole chassis and sounds like it is coming from the doors.....

Its coming from the bushings of the front subframe.... ...or cross-member if you want to call it that, but its not really a cross-member... the engine and suspensions mounts to this frame and then it is bolted to the body with big rubber bushings with big bolts through them at each corner of this subframe....

The 2 rear bushings of this front subframe, water gets trapped in the bolt area and corrodes the bolt and it makes the bushing or bolt squeak when it deflects with forces on the vehicle.... ....they say the cure is to remove the bolt (one at a time) clean it and grease it up well and torque it back down, squeak running through the chassis gone....

I have it and for a while, I'm about to try this, I thought for sure it was under the dash, then I though my doors, but driving with windows open and reading the above, I can tell its coming from the subframe....

They put a brace on the bottom side of this bolt, so if you look up under it the vehicle you see this slanted V piece of metal 2 points bolte to the body, the main point bolted to the subframe just behind the bushing for the lower rear control arm. This is the bolt you're suppose to pull and drain all the water from clean it just get in the inside and the bolt all sloppy with grease... ...I'm going to anti-seize when I pull mine, I'll let you know if it works...

Pulling these bolts is probably easier than pulling the trim, if you have the socket and breaker bar... ...so I'd try it first, but your video does seem like it could be something loose under the trim and the place to start would be front seats or B-Pillar Trim panels....

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your answer!

Ye, for me it's more something under the trim too, because If I drive Windows open, I don't ear it from outside. But who knows… I can try to remove and grease those bolts, of course, probably easier.

For me the noise is located inside the rear door panel, so if it's Something Under the trim, maybe it's inside the panel. The sound reminds a bit a glass sound or metallic, but there is Nothing wrong with the side window, it opens and close correctly, and it isn't loose if I push it from inside or outside.

The Strange thing is I'm unable to reproduce the noise while parked. Even if I move the door, push or hit the trim, even jump inside the car… No way, all seems very well tightened and silent. But if I drive, the noise comes directly.

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
2,971 Posts
Again, I couldn't notice the noise in the beginning with the windows either, the noise is being carried through the chassis, later I did start noticing it more with the windows open, the squeak really sounds like it coming from inside the car.... ...but it didn't sound exactly like your squeak either, so it might not be the same....

The squeak I'm talking about, with the bolt to the sub-frame, is definitely associated with the nose pitching up/down with weight shift from braking or accelerating, and at slow speeds, I can't notice it going over bumps... ...I'm convinced its weight shift and longitudinal pull on sub-frame from braking/front wheels pulling while accelerating....

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah I see. My noise doesn't appear if I accelerate or decelerate. It's really on bumps or any rough surface, I mean on any road that isn't as smooth as a living room carpet... So on 95% of roads here I got the noise.

I couldn't open the panel, because I'm too scared of breaking some clips. I asked my bodyshop but they are full until January 27 and I won't wait so long or I'll set the car on fire before...

My question : can, as for front doors, the window switch be removed? If yes maybe I can look for the noise cause by the switch hole...

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
2,971 Posts
That cinchs it, it kinda sounds like the common squeak, but not just like it, and if you're not getting on accel/decel, then it must be something else....
Door panels are easy to remove, get the plastic trim sticks kit that have several plastic tools to remove trim panels. I can't say I have not broken clips removing panels, but a body shop is just as likely to do so also...

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Ok so last friday my car was on bodyshop for remove trim panels and find the noise source. And things are bad.

They removed the rear right door panel, the B-pillar and C-pillar panels, a part of the roof trim, drove like this (was in the rear seats for the test drive), and the noise was still there... Nobody was able to source the noise, even if this one is very strong.

So maybe I have a ptoblem with my suspension, dunno... Nothing can be heard outside the car, the squeak and rattle is only inside. We putted the car on a lift, removed rear right wheel, and everything seems ok, nothing leaking, nothing worn out :-(

But this noise is very strong and drives me crazy, I'm about to sell the car, but it would be impossible with such a noise anyway...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Although I wasn't able to listen to the video, my 2014 Summit had a squeak that kept sounding like it was coming from the rear passenger door. Turns out it was the front passenger headrest. While investigating, a plastic piece broker causing it to explode up. Worth a shot, but that was my experience.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the tip.

I've an appointment on january 8 to the Jeep dealer for, I hope, fix this. I haven't any warranty so I just hope they won't need to fix it 10 times before find the right fix...

It seems that my transmission is broken... I have the horrible noise in the rear right side but now, if I turn left, my rear left wheel is skidding... Like if the ESP was trying to correct something by braking the wheel, because of a broken diff... Strange really, but I feel now unsafe with this car so I'm not happy with a so late appointment, but it's Chiristmas and they are closed until january 6...

·
Registered
3 Posts
So, nobody seems to know how to solve this squeak problem. A little update : I finally found someone for drive my Jeep while I was sitting in the rear seats and I listened where do the squeak come from. For me, it comes from the rear right door. Like if something is squeaky inside. Any idea?
If you can put your fingers in the gap between the door and b-pillar while someone drives it. You might feel the door moving in the body. Try putting dielectric grease on all the weather stripping too - it will also protect the weatherstrip and keep it soft.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the tip.

I did already put some silicone on the weatherstrip, but the noise doesn't seems to come from here.

I think that, unfortunately, the noise isn't coming from inside the car, but it's either a mechanical problem (silent bloc, transmission, suspension, or so) because if someone sit in the rear, the noise is less noticeable. Same if I put something very heavy in the trunk. And if we are 4 in the car, there is almost no noise anymore. So it seems the weight on the suspension lower the noise.

Here is another video of the noise: https://streamable.com/7yvk9

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Finally my dealer found the cause of this horrible noise.

A welding on the underbody was broken! Just insane...

They welded it and now it's ok.

·
Registered
2019 Grand Cherokee Altitude
44 Posts
Thanks for the update on this. Do you have a picture of where this weld is located? Could be helpful for any members that may also experience this issue.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Here you go. The picture the dealer gave me. I've nothing more unfortunately.

Cost if the fix: about 650$ but the big noise is gone.

But I still have some small "normal interior rattles" that I already heard in the past, but now they are more frequent. Maybe it's due to the cold weather?

Buzzing rattle under the dash, another buzzing rattle from the passenger seat and a rattle from the rear right sunroof adhesive dual lock fastner (if I press on the headliner the noise dissappear for a few minutes and then come back randomly). Does Jeeps without interior rattles exist?

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts