Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

· Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone used a tailgate/trunk mounted bike rack on a MY2014 WK2 yet?

Given I just need a bike rack very occasionally, a trunk style rack seems quite economical. My concern is that the new spoiler (also on prior year SRTs) on the 2014 might be in the way of the necessary mounting straps for such a rack.

This is the rack I'm considering: Saris Bones 2 bike rack - Amazon.com: Saris Bones 805 (2-Bike) Trunk Mount Rack: Sports & Outdoors

· Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fair point... but I live in manhattan so storage space is a major consideration driving my purchase decision for a limited use item like this (literally taking bike out to the beach at beginning of summer, and back to the city at end of summer)

I remember them being a PITA on my mother's old Volvo 850 Turbo back in the early 90's...

· Premium Member
1,026 Posts
Fair point... but I live in manhattan so storage space is a major consideration driving my purchase decision for a limited use item like this (literally taking bike out to the beach at beginning of summer, and back to the city at end of summer)

I remember them being a PITA on my mother's old Volvo 850 Turbo back in the early 90's...
If you are going to use this 2x a year why not just fold down the 2nd row and throw the bike inside?

· Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok so back to the question at hand... I'm interested in hanging bikes off the back of my 2014 with no towing pack.

Has anyone done this and how is fitment with straps over the spoiler? Any issues?

@roki... Clearly that space is being used for people and luggage/baby gear.

· Registered
433 Posts
They look like the straps need to go over the rear spoiler to clip on the gate. Not sure they will last as the spoiler seems flimsy. I just did a quick search and there are a few of them that say they fit the GC 2014 so it should work.
Is there any way to just haul them on the roof? Lay them down on a blanket and strap them down to the racks?

· Registered
149 Posts
Highly recommend the highlight 3... Locks onto the hitch and has a cable to lock your bikes. Rack attack for $287 shipped

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Trunk

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Automotive tire

Land vehicle Bicycle wheel Vehicle Bicycle Bicycle frame

· Registered
1 Posts
The Hollywood f2 rear mounted bike rack is designed to be used with hatchback spoilers. The top of the rack(the point on the rack which connects to the straps/trunk) sticks up high enough over the spoiler for it not to be an issue. Looks like they also come with multiple connection options.

Personally, I am leaning toward a hitch mounted rack because they look more sturdy, but this looks pretty good, too. Definitely cheaper, considering I would need to install a oem hitch first.

· Registered
GC Laredo ORA1
82 Posts
I have a Thule 3-bike gate mount leftover from my old GC. I didn't want to pay for a whole new rack, so I contacted Thule about it concerned with the longer spoiler for MY14. I didn't get much out of them, but they did say it was ok. I haven't used it yet, but did strap it on once to see and it seemed ok for the weight. I'd avoid large bumps though.

· Registered
205 Posts

· Premium Member
4,161 Posts
The upper arms of any strap on are for stabilisation only, the weight should be taken by the lower arms. Saris Bones are great.
Once you set it up, make sure to re adjust the straps after a few miles and they have settled.

· Registered
146 Posts
Response from the actual company Saris...

Thank you for contacting Saris Cycling, sorry we do not have any trunk racks that will fit your vehicle do to the plastic spoiler on the top of the hatch. With all our trunk racks they use top straps that hold most of the weight of the rack and bike.

The spoiler in the back is not a loadbearing structure. You could use a hitch rack those.

Thanks and have a great day.

I am now stuck and have to pay for tbar costing 1k

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.