Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Limited
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just received my Billet Technology Catch can after reading reviews. It is installed and I have some concerns...including possible decision to return and restore to stock. The instructions were extremely basic and it shouldn't have been this hard, but attached is a picture of it installed. (3) Questions I'm hoping someone can help with as it is the weekend and Billet Technology is closed.

1. When installed I can barely access the oil dipstick right behind/below it (you can see a tiny bit of yellow in the pic. It came with some sort of bracket (sitting on fuse box in picture), and the website mentions that a bracket for 2018+ is available and references some stock picture and mentions "module cover" but I don't see any picture on their site nor understand what they are referring to with "module cover. Can someone with a 2018+ tell me what I've done wrong and how to fix it? Ideally, it will restore easy access to the dip stick and reduce some pressure being applied by one of the hoses to the radiator overflow tank hose.
2. In addition, it is installed in a somewhat tight space that makes it very difficult to get fingers on the bottom to empty and screw back on. Is this correct?

Thanks for help in advance.

Attachments

·
Registered
2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit 3.6L 4x2
2,168 Posts
Sorry mate, the BT catch can install for my V6 is entirely different. I would take pics of the total install and Email BT right away with your concerns and then call them later on Monday.

·
Registered
2017 Summit, California Edition Hemi
337 Posts
Mines not a BT can but it was the same way when I installed it so I moved it over on the bracket so the can is closer to the ecm. You can bend the dipstick tube a bit as well.
Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Tire

Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Bumper

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
Whats puzzling to me is if catch cans are that good why don't the OEM designers incorporate them into the engines one way or another. Even somehow returning the oil back into the oil pan.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Whats puzzling to me is if catch cans are that good why don't the OEM designers incorporate them into the engines one way or another. Even somehow returning the oil back into the oil pan.
The average person can’t fill their windshield washer fluid let alone check a catchcan that needs to be emptied. As far as draining back into the engine I don’t know why they can’t do that

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
I like to drain the oil in my catch can back into the engine👍.
Gives me a chance to check fluids and eyeball everything under the hood😉.

·
Registered
337 Posts
It was enough of an issue on the Hellcat engines that they put a baffle system in the valve covers. Mine gets pretty full at 6K as well.
When I bought a 5.7 for my car that had only 3k miles on it, I was shocked to drain as much oil out of the intake as I did, so I became a believer in them at that point.

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
It was enough of an issue on the Hellcat engines that they put a baffle system in the valve covers. Mine gets pretty full at 6K as well.
When I bought a 5.7 for my car that had only 3k miles on it, I was shocked to drain as much oil out of the intake as I did, so I became a believer in them at that point.
One question though,
since recirculating blow by into the intake manifold for re-burning is a basic part of the OEM emission system will installing a catch can void warranties or fail emission tests in the unlikely event the test facility spots a catch can?

Also modifying the emission system could be illegal even though a catch can should theoretically reduce emissions and help prevent carbon build up in the combustion chamber especially for engines with direct injection.

I get this vision of someone having their vehicle with a blown engine towed to a dealership.
'Sorry warranty denied, the engine is modified'.
I know its bogus but warranty work has been denied for lesser reasons.

Of course the owner could revert back to the OEM system before a visit to the dealership.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
No worries here👍
Fortunately, there is no emissions testing where I live😁.

Reactions: moparado

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I just received my Billet Technology Catch can after reading reviews. It is installed and I have some concerns...including possible decision to return and restore to stock. The instructions were extremely basic and it shouldn't have been this hard, but attached is a picture of it installed. (3) Questions I'm hoping someone can help with as it is the weekend and Billet Technology is closed.

1. When installed I can barely access the oil dipstick right behind/below it (you can see a tiny bit of yellow in the pic. It came with some sort of bracket (sitting on fuse box in picture), and the website mentions that a bracket for 2018+ is available and references some stock picture and mentions "module cover" but I don't see any picture on their site nor understand what they are referring to with "module cover. Can someone with a 2018+ tell me what I've done wrong and how to fix it? Ideally, it will restore easy access to the dip stick and reduce some pressure being applied by one of the hoses to the radiator overflow tank hose.
2. In addition, it is installed in a somewhat tight space that makes it very difficult to get fingers on the bottom to empty and screw back on. Is this correct?

I have the same setup as you with the Hemi. First of all don't send it back. I just bent the dipstick tube slightly towards the engine and there is plenty of room now to pull it. Second the crud and slime that catch can collects in the winter is crazy. I can't believe how quickly it gets full. Check it often and never ever dump it back in the crankcase. Water, oil, slime, yuck! dump it out in your waste oil container. Catch cans are a must for the Hemi. I was skeptical at first until i saw the slime in there last winter.

·
Registered
337 Posts
One question though,
since recirculating blow by into the intake manifold for re-burning is a basic part of the OEM emission system will installing a catch can void warranties or fail emission tests in the unlikely event the test facility spots a catch can?

Also modifying the emission system could be illegal even though a catch can should theoretically reduce emissions and help prevent carbon build up in the combustion chamber especially for engines with direct injection.

I get this vision of someone having their vehicle with a blown engine towed to a dealership.
'Sorry warranty denied, the engine is modified'.
I know its bogus but warranty work has been denied for lesser reasons.

Of course the owner could revert back to the OEM system before a visit to the dealership.
I've not heard of that happening but my argument would be that it's not "modified" and that by installing it it lowered oil consumption therefore improving the engine.

·
Registered
2018 Limited
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks all...I'll see what BT says and will consider "bending" the pipe that the dipstick goes into. Fortunately, the jeep dipstick is more of a cable than cars with the "blade." Out of curiosity...with 17K miles on mine when catch can went on, throttle body should still be relatively clean, correct? When examining the plastic PCV hard connector tube, I didn't see anything in there.

P.S. Anyone with a 18+ 5.7L have a picture that shows how the provided "bracket spacer" is supposed to be used?

·
Registered
2014 Summit 5.7 4wd 20" tires swapped to 18", added all skid plates
2,985 Posts
Thanks all...I'll see what BT says and will consider "bending" the pipe that the dipstick goes into. Fortunately, the jeep dipstick is more of a cable than cars with the "blade." Out of curiosity...with 17K miles on mine when catch can went on, throttle body should still be relatively clean, correct? When examining the plastic PCV hard connector tube, I didn't see anything in there.

P.S. Anyone with a 18+ 5.7L have a picture that shows how the provided "bracket spacer" is supposed to be used?
I have the same setup installed on my 2014 5.7 and it's just like yours. Tight fit but workable.

To the question of it changing the emissions... all the blowby that blows by still gets sucked back into the engine, the catch can is a completely closed system. It's just letting the oil mist drop out into the can instead of that going back into the engine. I don't have cold winter where I live and have never found anything in the can but plain old oil. I sent off a sample for oil analysis of what got collected over about 5000 miles and they found nothing in the oil but the usual stuff that's in used oil.

Rectangle Font Parallel Number Screenshot

·
Registered
Procharged 2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk, 5.7 Hemi
812 Posts

Because of the Engine Oil Dipstick, and the difficulty emptying it (plus the other modifications that i made) I mounted my Billet Technology Catch can on the firewall. Easy to get to, doesn't interfere with other service items (dipstick).

Because of the amount of condensation (water) and other contaminates that I get out of my catch can, I don't dare pour it back into the engine.... eww lol

Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle Car Automotive design

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
I live in Texas and, fortunately, only found oil in my BT catch can.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
The blowby collected in the catch can is not motor oil for those who are confused, it is combustion chamber residue full of really nasty hydrocarbons.
IF your catch can is filling at 5k intervals, that is way too much.... either an unhealthy engine, or it is all condensate/mayo collecting in cold temps. Mine only collects a few spoonfuls at 7k interval oil changes, has 170k , driven hard and always has been that way.

Reactions: IDoMy0wnRacing

·
Registered
2014 Summit 5.7 4wd 20" tires swapped to 18", added all skid plates
2,985 Posts
The blowby collected in the catch can is not motor oil for those who are confused, it is combustion chamber residue full of really nasty hydrocarbons.
IF your catch can is filling at 5k intervals, that is way too much.... either an unhealthy engine, or it is all condensate/mayo collecting in cold temps. Mine only collects a few spoonfuls at 7k interval oil changes, has 170k , driven hard and always has been that way.
I don't know what's in your catch can but what's in mine is motor oil. Mine doesn't fill but it catches more than I would have expected. I would estimate mine would fill after 10,000 + miles if I never emptied it. I don't doubt that in colder climates there can be more nasty condensates people would capture that I just don't get down here in the AZ heat. That stuff just doesn't condense out here and goes back into the combustion chamber and burns up.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts