Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
JGC HA
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I’d post some pics of my current project on my Jeep.
2016 High Altitude EcoDiesel.
So far I’ve tinted the front windows, sprayed the rear tail lights, painted the callipers red, put on 1.25” wheel spacers, made the DIY lowering links and lowered by 1.25”, installed 4” quad tips and blacked out all the chrome plus the front grill. I got a set of 22” wheels on order that should arrive in a couple of weeks.
Here’s a few pics of how she’s looking so far.
IMG_2736.JPG IMG_2734.JPG IMG_2735.JPG

Reactions: Sweed

·
Registered
2014 JGC Overland
227 Posts
Re: Backed out and mods...

Looks great, how durable is your blackout on chrome?

Reactions: Sparro

·
Registered
JGC HA
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Looks great, how durable is your blackout on chrome?
They used the good stuff, 3M 1080 gloss black, but they would not give me a warranty on it. The guy said if you take care of it and avoid pressure washing so it doesn't start to peel any corners I should last many years. So I guess i'll see how it goes.

·
Registered
JGC HA
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Where have you got the Tips?
I got the tips installed at a custom exhaust shop in my area. They had to delete my mufflers to make them fit. They are made of 304SS, 2-1/2" inlet to 4" outlet about 10" long.

·
Registered
56 Posts

I like it! You've done pretty much everything I would do to a high altitude. What wheels are you putting on? Looking forward to it.

·
Registered
2016 High Altitude
444 Posts

Looks killer and love the black on on the Granite color! I really like how the front came out - that's a big piece of chrome in the front fascia to cover up. Just need to black out the exhaust tips and all set.

Been putting off blacking out all the trivulant (or whatever color they call it) chrome on my 16'HA. I have quotes to wrap it all, but have been toying around with the idea of the SEM black trim paint. $50 in paint/primer and my time vs. $500+ for the wraps.

Had some spare chrome tail light bezels floating round and just hit them with SEM this week-end to see how they look. So far seems good; paint goes on easy and smooth. A few quick coats and it looks like a stock gloss black bezel. I am worried about the durability of the paint, specifically for the front bumper/light inserts. I did purposely scratch one to see about sanding it a bit and touching up and wasn't thrilled at the end result. It could just be user error, but I also don't want to be sanding it and painting every month if the paint is going to be prone to scracth/chip.

The debate that I've been toying with for too long...

·
Registered
JGC HA
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

I was told to stay away from painting plastic chrome by a paint shop. Apparently they banned oil based paints a few years ago and the new automotive paints don't apply well to chromed plastic. Thats why I went with the black vinyl.

·
Registered
JGC HA
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

I like it! You've done pretty much everything I would do to a high altitude. What wheels are you putting on? Looking forward to it.

These should be here first week in April.
IMG_2508.JPG

Reactions: peterchang

·
Registered
JGC HA
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)

Here’s a few daylight pics I took this morning.
FYI: I bought the seven grill inserts rings off amazon. They are black gloss plastic and snap right into place. They were about $65 shipped from China when I bought them months ago.

IMG_2737.JPG IMG_2739.JPG IMG_2738.JPG

·
Registered
75th Anniversary
955 Posts

Very nice im think of trading up to a high altitude as well

·
Registered
High Altitude
22 Posts

Super Super Nice!
Just picked up an 16 HA also and you have done everything i would like to do besides the duel tips had not even thought about them (until now).

Love the color choice would have been my 1st pick but the only two colors available was white and sliver that i could find that was in excellent condition with great car fax. The sliver one was a 4x2 and 8hrs away and the white one 4x4 2hrs away. They where happy to deal on the white so i got it.

How was your ride before and after adding the lowering links?
I have had the parts to make lowering links for a few weeks but have put it off do to the rough ride over small bumps, some days it's worst than others. Its not been to bad over the last week so i think i may try them this weekend. Do you remember the length you cut your threaded rods?

I would think in my head that 1.25 would be to wide on the wheel spacers(never measured for them) but they look great on yours. May have to get a set until i get around to new wheels.

Would really like to hear your thoughts on going to 22's vs the stock 20's after you get them.

·
Registered
JGC HA
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Hey thanks. My front links are basically 4.75” overall length and the tears are 2.75” overall length. The ride is a little rougher than stock but not by much. I wouldn’t worry too much about that. My 22s are in, but it started snowing again so I put it off till next Friday. I’ll post some pics when they finally go on.

·
Registered
JGC HA
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
IMG_2878.JPG IMG_2879.JPG IMG_2880.JPG

Finally got my 285/35-22s on yesterday. So far I’m liking it a lot. The ride seems stiffer, just like the sport suspension in the wife’s BMW, but still very comfortable. Now gotta wait for these two days of freezing rain to stop so I can clean it up and properly test it out.

·
Registered
75th Anniversary
955 Posts

·
Registered
2016 High Altitude
444 Posts

Here’s a few daylight pics I took this morning.
FYI: I bought the seven grill inserts rings off amazon. They are black gloss plastic and snap right into place. They were about $65 shipped from China when I bought them months ago.

View attachment 184674 View attachment 184682 View attachment 184690
How is the fit from those knock off OEM/China ones? I remember a few people on here pointing out the fit wasn't as great as the $200 OEM ones.

·
Registered
JGC HA
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hot damn, probably should've gone with 285/40
I like the lower profile look of the 35's, but I did consider 40's for about 5 seconds. lol

·
Registered
JGC HA
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

How is the fit from those knock off OEM/China ones? I remember a few people on here pointing out the fit wasn't as great as the $200 OEM ones.
Mine fit perfect. They were even numbered so you know what order to put them in. They snapped in and firmly in place just like the OEM ones.

·
Registered
2016 High Altitude
444 Posts

Mine fit perfect. They were even numbered so you know what order to put them in. They snapped in and firmly in place just like the OEM ones.
Nice. Mind tossing up the exact link/vendor from Amazon??

1 - 20 of 51 Posts