Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I have a 2016 HA GC. I recently bumped into a mailbox which dented my tailgate and did a little damage to the rear bumper. I took the vehicle to a body shop this week for repair. After picking it up I noticed the blind spot indicator coming on while driving without any vehicles around me. While driving it will come and go for no reason. The body shop called around to various Jeep dealerships looking for a solution. It was suggested the system may need to be recalibrated.

Has anyone else had this issue and/or have a solution suggestion? For now I just turned off the blind spot function.

Thank you,

Lee

·
Registered
2015 WK2 Overland
1,770 Posts
I believe there is a sensor on either side of the bumper. You may be able to pop out the rear reflectors to see if they are in place/mounted properly.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The body shop said they were told by a local dealer to make sure the radar sensors were not dirty from the work done while the bumper was off. It goes back to them on Monday to remove the bumper and investigate further.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dropped my Jeep off again at the body shop so they could remove the rear bumper and clean the blind spot radar sensors. No luck, the left and right sides are still malfunctioning. Now on Thursday it goes to a local dealer to flash the system. I have to say I am not very optimistic. Quite frustrating.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I spent 4 hours at the dealership yesterday with no answers or a fix. They now say they need the Jeep for at least a full day to troubleshoot possible electrical issues that could cost $500 or more. The body shop is not wanting to accept this responsibility.

I have read a few comments online of people saying too heavy of a paint layer after body work can interfere with bilnd spot radars. I want to ask the body shop to remove the rear bumper and go for a drive together to see if that is the issuse. Does anyone have any experience or knowledge on this being the issuse? I am getting an error message on my dash that says "Blind Spot Alert Unavailable Wipe Rear Bumber Corners".

·
Registered
2015 WK2 Overland
1,770 Posts
Did you go through your insurance for the repair? If so I'd call up the adjust and explain the situation.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Did you go through your insurance for the repair? If so I'd call up the adjust and explain the situation.
No, I paid this out of pocket. The repair was $1,400 and my deductable is $1,000. Plus this was 100% my dumb-butt rolling into a mailbox at about 3 mph.

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
I have read a few comments online of people saying too heavy of a paint layer after body work can interfere with bilnd spot radars. I want to ask the body shop to remove the rear bumper and go for a drive together to see if that is the issuse. Does anyone have any experience or knowledge on this being the issuse? I am getting an error message on my dash that says "Blind Spot Alert Unavailable Wipe Rear Bumber Corners".
My dealership had my vehicle for a week and was not able to replicate the error code. I also had body/paint work done to both my rear passenger quarter panel (hydroplane accident) as well as the fender flares which began detaching on the toll road during high winds. Never had a problem with the censor(s) prior to these repairs. I was unaware of others with similar issues potentially caused by the aftermarket paint job(s). Problem: unresolved.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My dealership had my vehicle for a week and was not able to replicate the error code. I also had body/paint work done to both my rear passenger quarter panel (hydroplane accident) as well as the fender flares which began detaching on the toll road during high winds. Never had a problem with the censor(s) prior to these repairs. I was unaware of others with similar issues potentially caused by the aftermarket paint job(s). Problem: unresolved.
Are you getting this error message? My Jeep is at dealer service today to troubleshoot the message. I am concerned it is the result of the paint job and will need to be stripped and repainted.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
I cannot confirm that it is the exact same message but I do know it begins with “Blind Spot Alert Unavailable”

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Turns out the body shop re-installed the blind spot sensors backwards. According to the dealer service department the orientation can be easily confused. Regardless, the dealer pulled the bumper, correctly installed the sensors, and calibrated the system. It works great again. Glad this was a body shop issue and not my responsibility, the service bill was $411.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have actually just run into the same issue with a 2019 GC. I got rear ended. The sensors still worked after the collision. I gave it to a body shop, they replaced the whole rear bumper, tailgate and towing hitch. They did a fantastic job with the body work but the blind spot assist is not working. It wont recognize when there are vehicles around all the time, then it doesn't realize that there isn't anything around at all. Some times it just shows a message saying Blind Spot Assist Unavailable, Wipe Rear Bumper Corners even though everything is clean. I took it back to the body shop and they are basically at a loss for solutions. They have taken off the bumper and measured with the old bumper to make sure the mounts were in the correct place. He says there is no aiming or real calibration required as its a closed sensor that just clips into the bumper mounts, he does't think the right and left one matter in terms of placement as they are both the same part number. He's called Chrysler for help and I'm waiting on the results. I think they plan on replacing the sensors and trying again.... the outlook is bleak at this point. I'll let you guys know what happens in my situation.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have actually just run into the same issue with a 2019 GC. I got rear ended. The sensors still worked after the collision. I gave it to a body shop, they replaced the whole rear bumper, tailgate and towing hitch. They did a fantastic job with the body work but the blind spot assist is not working. It wont recognize when there are vehicles around all the time, then it doesn't realize that there isn't anything around at all. Some times it just shows a message saying Blind Spot Assist Unavailable, Wipe Rear Bumper Corners even though everything is clean. I took it back to the body shop and they are basically at a loss for solutions. They have taken off the bumper and measured with the old bumper to make sure the mounts were in the correct place. He says there is no aiming or real calibration required as its a closed sensor that just clips into the bumper mounts, he does't think the right and left one matter in terms of placement as they are both the same part number. He's called Chrysler for help and I'm waiting on the results. I think they plan on replacing the sensors and trying again.... the outlook is bleak at this point. I'll let you guys know what happens in my situation.
Hi I have a 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee I have been rear-ended tailgate bumper bar I just picked it up yesterday and my senses on the mirrors are flashing same message on the screen as well took it back to the repairer and I'm waiting for an outcome he's saying it's a module or needs to be on a scan tool will let you know what happens

·
Registered
3 Posts
Same situation here. Rear ended, painted, returned to me same error. I’m awaiting diagnosis.
2019 model, already had the system recalibrated to no avail.

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
I had the same issue after a body shop repair where the rear panel/bumper was removed. The sensors were put in backwards (easy to do I'm told) so I was getting the side rear view mirror flash when there were no cars near me. They put the sensors in correctly and 15 minutes later I was on my way.

Reactions: Andy P

·
Registered
6 Posts
I found the issue with mine. They have installed the sensors the wrong way, silver side against bumper rather than the black side.
I want to thank u for your comment .. my problem same as yours .. when i red yours i kept the idea in my mind .. and the surprise .. they installed mine in wrong way .. so many many thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
I want to thank u for your comment .. my problem same as yours .. when i red yours i kept the idea in my mind .. and the surprise .. they installed mine in wrong way .. so many many thanks
I am currently experiencing this with my Jeep after it was rear ended. My driver’s side blind spot doesn’t not illuminate anymore since repair and my passenger side blind spot monitor is hypersensitive. Is the bumper/sensor correction enough or does it also need to be recalibrated?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts