Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just finishing up this Bondorific patch job on my rocker panel (and opposite side rear panel section) and need advice on how to finish things up. I believe I've read that bondo can be spread as thin as you want as long as it has good mechanical adhesion, but I'm wondering as I do these last steps if I might could use something else meant for filing in more nuanced scratches and little valleys.

Basically I've got both panels shaped about like I want (exposing some sheet metal along the way) and now I just need to fill in the 36 grit sanding marks on the bondo, cover the exposed aluminum, sand up to 800? grit, then go at it with color coats and then clear.

2 questions are...

- What should I use to fill in the bondo scratches and cover the exposed aluminum? body panels?...possibly some kind of high build primer?

- What's the minimum grit you need to sand (the primer?) up to before applying the color and clear coats? I've been told anywhere between 400-800. For the bonding between the color and clear coats I'll be timing them to take advantage of chemical adhesion.

note: Since this picture was taken I've added another skim coat of bondo to fill in those small bondo divots, but I should have those same 36 grit scratches after I sand it back down again.

Automotive tire Tire Wood Automotive exterior Bumper

· Registered
5,375 Posts
You'll need automotive glazing putty to fill in bondo and other scratches.
Any auto part store should have it.

After feathering the glazing putty with 400 or 600 grit its ready for the primer including on any bare metal.
Might need to feather the primer'd areas then re-prime several time before its ready for the top coat. Just make sure any bare metal is primered before the top coat.

Reactions: MacDaddy

· Registered
776 Posts
Yes finishing glaze, do yourself a favor and get some aluminum body filler in that mess, I've used it for years and and it doesn’t shrink, crack or rust out and can be drilled and tapped, if you put a little less hardener in it’ll give you some more working time. And not “Metal” body filler, “Aluminum”. Mac

· Registered
5,375 Posts
Yes finishing glaze, do yourself a favor and get some aluminum body filler in that mess, I've used it for years and and it doesn’t shrink, crack or rust out and can be drilled and tapped, if you put a little less hardener in it’ll give you some more working time. And not “Metal” body filler, “Aluminum”. Mac
Hey Mac if you're still out there,
been on the lookout in stores for that aluminum filler but sometimes i can't see the forest for the trees.
Do you have a pic of the can that stuff comes in or a link?

· Registered
953 Posts
I still think you would’ve been better off tacking in replacement rockers… they are cheap and readily available.
but your this far now. You can revisit that idea next go round.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts