Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

Brake control plugin 2018 GC

Tags
1K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  Mongo53 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi Folks, A new member here. 2018 GC. My other car is a 1946 Ford.
Anyway, I have searched this forum and others and cannot find info on the car plug in port for the BC cable. Factory tow package. I have the bottom of the dash off and cannot find it. Thanks for any help.
John

#2 · (Edited)
The reason you can't find it in those places is that's not where it is. :) The connector is down behind where the e-brake pedal meets the vehicle. It's a grey connector that should be unoccupied. You do not have to remove any interior panels to access the plug.

#4 ·
If I could hi-jack the thread a little. I purchased the Mopar Accessories Tow Hitch kit and the Wiring Kit. I've just discovered the Connector for the Tow Hitch plug under the bumper. (The info I looked up said only the 2014 model had the tow hitch wiring installed and would not need the tow hitch wiring kit).

So, if the wiring kit is installed from the factory, do I need to have the dealership reconfigure the TIPM to enable the tow hitch connector?

#5 ·
So, if the wiring kit is installed from the factory, do I need to have the dealership reconfigure the TIPM to enable the tow hitch connector?
Yes, you do need to visit the dealer. While the pre-wiring is there, the electrical connections are not enabled from the factory in the computer unless you ordered the factory tow option. They have to enter the proper sales code for that to happen. And yes, they typically charge for it.

#6 ·
Yea, I thought so, I have refurbished keys and a POD Key from eBay that need to programmed to the vehicle, since I only got one key with the purchase. I can get it done with the keys hopefully for the same price since the machine is hookup for the keys anyway.

BUT, I have the Autoenginuity Scan tool, it does have configuration options, but just playing around with it I saw nothing for enabling tow hitch wiring. I also lost the ABS Pump Actuation to bleed brakes feature since I used it last. I'm hoping I just forgot where it's buried in the menu somewhere cause I've used it with my 2010 Jeep Commander. Honestly, Autoenginuity is pretty crappy tool for what you pay for it, but its 1/4th the cost of any tool that can do a good portion of the diagnostics and service procedures like the dealer tools, but it can only do a portion of those service procedures. It can't write to or flash modules, it can make keys.

#7 ·
I don't believe any kind of non-dealer scan tool can be used to turn on features like this.

Also, you may get pushback on the keys. They are not supposed to be reprogrammable, AFAIK, and I'm dubious that a dealer is going to be willing to program a third party key, either.

#8 ·
I've had dealers program keys I have brought them, unfortunately that dealer was bought out by a National Chain and from what I've experienced from the parts department, I think they may be one of the Stealerships now.

It's always a risk, but the keys can be flashed to reload the software and reset them into their original never used before state. I don't think the dealership has the ability to do that, they designed the system that way, someone got ahold of the tool I suspect the supplier uses to basically reset the key, slap a new plastic shell, battery and button skin on it and they sell it for 1/4 the price of a new key.

The Autoenginuity can do some configuration items, I was disappointed that I found a configuration item to change the tail/stop lights to LED for R/T. The tool returned it won't accept the command, cause likely its a config item for another model. But I haven't found the trailer wiring config item yet, so you may be right.

It can change tire diameter values stored in the system. And it can read every code from every system/module, which has paid for itself in just that ability. But it's looking like you may right on the Tow Hitch wiring.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.